Forums

Any others with high IQ suck at chess.

Sort:
cabadenwurt

Just to ensure that we do not try to discount child prodigies let me mention one name here: Mozart. He was writing Classical music at an age when most of the rest of us were still trying to figure out the proper way to go to the bathroom  lol.

PS: and of course he was also playing music at a World class level at that age as well. 

Meadmaker
e4nf3 wrote:

You and I may have no control over the first item. But, I think, if we were to apply the other two, we could rise far higher than where we are now.

My goal is a solid 1800. I figure one more year. After that, I don't know that I want to put in the work to go higher. Maybe.

But, I have a goal and a plan. Do you?

I do think you are correct in your approach.

A goal and a plan? For Chess? Not really.

I’m at about the state SaintPaulianna described. I’m content to improve gradually, if at all. I am not completely unconcerned about winning or about ratings, but it isn’t a motivator for me. Based on what I’ve learned in this thread and the associated research, I do think I’ll modify a couple of things. I won’t stop playing Blitz, because I like Blitz, but I won’t expect it to improve my game, even a little. I do think I will stop using Tactics Trainer.  It was recommended as a great training tool, but I don’t think it is.

If the truth be told, my involvement in the Chess community is more as a TD and organizer than as a player.  If anyone happens to be near Detroit next weekend, and you like small, prizeless tournaments, come on up to Auburn Hills. It’s low key.  It’s rated.  It’s cheap.

Also, I’ve always been much more of a gamer than a Chess player. A few years ago, I started taking an interest in the abstract strategy genre. Chess is the most prominent example of that genre, but I don’t think it’s inherently superior to any number of games in that genre, and I want to continue to learn and play other games in that genre, rather than focus on getting better at one game.  I play Chess instead of those other games for one reason.  It’s the only game that has a substantial community of players.

So, a goal? Well, yes. My goal is to get fifty people showing up for my tournaments, and have 10 of them playing  Shogi, Chess960, or some other abstract strategy game.

e4nf3

Truly interesting and insightful.

Just a few thoughts from me, if you don't mind...

It seems to me, then, it really isn't about your having an extremely high IQ but also having an extremely low chess playing skill (I tried to avoid using the word "suck" at chess...because it has been so overused, even though justifiably (lol) ).

You really don't have your heart in the game...except to fool around with blitz. Nor do you have the interest in devoting an infinite (or so it appears to me...and I've got a long ways to go as well!) amount of time to study.

This is all OK. What, though, is problematic...why all this bull doodoo about having a mental chess deficiency anemia issue?

Hmmm...I theorize that you don't really have the passion, aren't willing to spend the effort AND believe that somehow you don't have the right brain blend for superior chess.

What the heck would I know? Maybe you are right. But how could one excel at anything if they are only half-hearted about it? Can't, is my opinion.

Anyway, why didn't you say all this earlier? No matter.

You know, the tactics trainer is helpful. I like it, as well as ones at other sites. Here it is claimed that 95% of chess is tactics. Don't worry about openings. In fact, play online correspondence and let the computer database do the heavy lifting. Strategy/positional play...small potatoes. End games...Bronx cheer...don't worry... most games don't get that far.

Tell you what. I don't buy it. I want to work on the beginning, middle and end as well as both tactics and strategy.

Something must be wrong with me. And, for cabby: lol.

AlCzervik
e4nf3 wrote:

But, I have a goal and a plan. Do you?

Yeah. Play and have fun.

e4nf3

When you are below 1200, it is easy to see why you believe that.

And with your "plan" you'll never bust through a real 1500.

But, you don't care. So, have fun.

PatzerLars

"Play and have fun" is not a plan. It is not even a goal. It is just the sustainment of an emotional state. That's what little kids do. Which is OK ... for kids.

PatzerLars
chrisr2212 wrote:

Lars, do you wanna try that one again ?

Try what ?

AlCzervik

e4 & patz, you two are SO right! Immediately, today, I'm going to dump my gf, quit my job, not shave or shower, and study and play chess all day!

Maybe, just maybe, I can become an adult (patz) and get to a real 1500 (e4). Oh, I can't wait. Life will be great!

Meadmaker
e4nf3 wrote:

Hmmm...I theorize that you don't really have the passion, aren't willing to spend the effort AND believe that somehow you don't have the right brain blend for superior chess.

What the heck would I know? Maybe you are right. But how could one excel at anything if they are only half-hearted about it? Can't, is my opinion.

I think SaintPauliana's post is more relevant than my specific case. It seems to me like I put in a lot of work and got nowhere, but it may have been a superficial effort, or it may have been totally misguided because it was entirely self directed.  He (she?) on the other hand, seems to have really put himself into it, and had the direction of a Chess coach so it seems unlikely he was studying the wrong stuff.

For my part, in the past I have excelled at lots of things where my effort was half-hearted at best. 

One talent that everyone says is important for Chess is pattern recognition.  I always thought I was good at it, and when taking tests on it, I did well.  However, I'm beginning to think that what the tests actually measure is not pattern recognition, but pattern analysis and classification.  I think there might be two different skills there, and I'm not very good at one of them.

e4nf3

For my part, in the past I have excelled at lots of things where my effort was half-hearted at best. 

Ouch! Liar! What you call "excelled" may not be.

I think there might be two different skills there, and I'm not very good at one of them.

There are many skills required by chess. Number 1 is motivation. Number 2 is hard work. Number 3? There is no number 3. Tongue out

IrrationalTiger

Speaking of pancakes, I think it's that time for this thread...

cabadenwurt

Well I'm very very sad now !!! I've been on this little planet for over 60 years and now someone tells me that " fun is just for kids ". Oh cruel cruel fate how couldst thou be so evil, so vile, so foul ( etc etc, just add your own terms in there  lol ). This means that I will need to give up Chess because I'm having too much fun. I mean in the rare case where one of my happy little Pawns ( note my avatar ) gets to the other side of the board and is promoted to a Queen, what could be more fun than that ??? No I guess we will now only be allowed to sit around and grind our teeth in frustration. Excuse me for a minute I need to go get my Dentures ( teeth grinding coming up  lol ). 

AlCzervik
IrrationalTiger wrote:

Speaking of pancakes, I think it's that time for this thread...

That sounds like fun! Oops, is that childish?

cabadenwurt

OH BOY --- now I'm Hungry ( sad, hungry and grinding my teeth --- this is no fun  lol ). 

PatzerLars
cabadenwurt wrote:

OH BOY --- now I'm Hungry ( sad, hungry and grinding my teeth --- this is no fun  lol ). 

Then you finally grew up ! Congrats ... Wink

e4nf3

cabby: Well I'm very very sad now !!! I've been on this little planet for over 60 years and now someone tells me that " fun is just for kids ".

Wasn't me. In fact, my grandson is here and we just zipped around in my golf cart with him driving. That was fun. He's now playing Grand Theft Auto on my PS3. That's fun, too!

As far as chess being fun on the basis that Mead and you enjoy it...I think that's great!

Personally, I'd rather jump off a tall building than remain under 1200 and lose...lose...lose...

To each his own. Smile

PLAVIN81

IQ IS NOT IN VOGUE. INSTEAD OTHER FORMS OF DETERMINING PROFICIENCY ARE USED.

IrrationalTiger
e4nf3 wrote:

cabby: Well I'm very very sad now !!! I've been on this little planet for over 60 years and now someone tells me that " fun is just for kids ".

Wasn't me. In fact, my grandson is here and we just zipped around in my golf cart with him driving. That was fun. He's now playing Grand Theft Auto on my PS3. That's fun, too!

As far as chess being fun on the basis that Mead and you enjoy it...I think that's great!

Personally, I'd rather jump off a tall building than remain under 1200 and lose...lose...lose...

To each his own. 

Why is rating relevant?  We all lose, and lose, and lose more, or our opposition is too weak.  That's one of the great things about chess: no matter what level you're at (not counting the best players in the world) there are always plenty of people significantly better than you on the internet.

cabadenwurt

Well, driving around in a Golf-cart, I would enjoy that too. I've got a big yard here and I have an old Garden-tractor to cut the grass. Soon I'm going to put the battery back into the little John Deere and go zooming around the neighbourhood ( nothing runs like a Deere  lol ).  

e4nf3

IrrationalTiger: Why is rating relevant?  

Where did I say it was?

Any mention of rating from me was intended in reference to improvement.

We all lose, and lose, and lose more, or our opposition is too weak.  

True. The point is, some of us actually want to get better and better. What an odd concept.

This forum topic has been locked