Best Chess Engine?

ChessStudios

I currently have Deep Rybka 3. Im wondering if there are any better chess engines out there, best overall playing ability, basically the best overall chess engine for sale?

Thanks

 

-Sean

rooperi

The best ones are free :)

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/the-strongest-engine-on-the-planet-made-by-a-chesscom-member

PrawnEatsPrawn

The best engine at the moment is free and written by a Chess.com member, Houdini 1.5:

 

http://www.chess.com/download/view/houdini-15

ChessStudios
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

The best engine at the moment is free and written by a Chess.com member, Houdini 1.5:

 

http://www.chess.com/download/view/houdini-15


 Thank you. I downloaded it, but im not sure what to do next, apparently i have to put the engine into my own program (deep rybka) how do i do that?

PrawnEatsPrawn
ChessStudios wrote:
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

The best engine at the moment is free and written by a Chess.com member, Houdini 1.5:

 

http://www.chess.com/download/view/houdini-15


 Thank you. I downloaded it, but im not sure what to do next, apparently i have to put the engine into my own program (deep rybka) how do i do that?


Don't put one engine (Houdini) inside another engine (Rybka).

 

You put Houdini in the "Engines" folder of a Graphical User Interface (GUI).

Here's a good, free one:

 

http://www.playwitharena.com/?Download:Arena_3.0

rooperi

Doesn't Deep Rybka come with a GUI? Aquarium, or something?

ChessStudios

Yes it does. Thanks for the help guys :)

PrawnEatsPrawn
ChessStudios wrote:

Yes it does. Thanks for the help guys :)


Are you all sorted now?

 

p.s. Don't forget to associate Houdini with a good opening book and tablebases, for maximum effect.

ChessStudios
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:
ChessStudios wrote:

Yes it does. Thanks for the help guys :)


Are you all sorted now?

 

p.s. Don't forget to associate Houdini with a good opening book and tablebases, for maximum effect.


 yes thank you very much :)

The_Chess_Ninja

I'll download it for sure ! 

Marcus_Leonardo_333

This is the transcript to a game I participated in between Deep Rybka 4 and a new engine that shall remain nameless (not Houdini 1.5). The new engine still needs some work; it missed a mate in 5 calculated by DR4's inbuilt kibitzer several times, but it's still a mighty achievement to beat DR4 so easily. Soon I shall be trying it against Houdini 1.5. Will keep you all up to date on the results :)

DR4 vs XXX 0-1

13.e4e5
28.a4g4
MBClevenger
Mark_Lee_Meara wrote:

This is the transcript to a game I participated in between Deep Rybka 4 and a new engine that shall remain nameless (not Houdini 1.5). The new engine still needs some work; it missed a mate in 5 calculated by DR4's inbuilt kibitzer several times, but it's still a mighty achievement to beat DR4 so easily. Soon I shall be trying it against Houdini 1.5. Will keep you all up to date on the results :)

DR4 vs XXX 0-1

 

13.e4e5
28.a4g4

I just simply will not believe it. haha JK

Marcus_Leonardo_333
I couldn't believe it myself when DR4's analysis tipped into the negative. The ultimate test will be to vs it against Houdini 1.5. With a win like that against DR4, I imagine that Houdini will only play marginally better. Who is the member here that created the Houdini engine? I would love to personally play him a match using the prototype engine.
windownight

Each move gets a rating which can be +ive or -ive.

What does it mean when the analysis tips into the negative?

rooperi

If you want to give your engine a good workout, I suggest join this group:

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/advanced-chess

and ask for a few games there.

Marcus_Leonardo_333

Thank you rooperi, I will surely join that group. As an update on my last post, I have since beaten Houdini 1.5a with my engine, both running on identical hardware

Marcus_Leonardo_333
windownight wrote:

Each move gets a rating which can be +ive or -ive.

What does it mean when the analysis tips into the negative?


That means that the engine's kibitzer analyses the position as favourable to back. In a nutshell, positive = white is better, negative = black is better.

rooperi
Mark_Lee_Meara wrote:
windownight wrote:

Each move gets a rating which can be +ive or -ive.

What does it mean when the analysis tips into the negative?


That means that the engine's kibitzer analyses the position as favourable to back. In a nutshell, positive = white is better, negative = black is better.


Except for a few programs which still give the evaluation for the next side to move, so it changes after every half move. But thankfully this seems on its way out.

AnthonyCG

My engine isn't very helpful.

dkasprick

How do these engines compare to the computers programs like fritz 12 or Chessmaster programs? They have analysis programs built in them as well how do these compare?