Bobbys Red Book

meowbrah

Does anyone know anything about bobbys red book? Was it all hand drawn diagrams? Is there any more information on it online? (top left)

null

 

null

imcdull2010
You is Shari
meowbrah
imcdull2010 wrote:
You is Shari

?

Farm_Hand

Never heard of it.

meowbrah

Found it!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPuazOwq0aw 8:16

EscherehcsE
swagswaggy wrote:

So, ya gonna get a copy of it?

Brontide88

It looks to be a volume of Weltgeschicte Schach, a publication featuring whole volumes of the games of top GMs. No notes or notation, but a diagram for every move! I have the ones for Keres & a couple others stashed away somewhere

EscherehcsE
Brontide88 wrote:

It looks to be a volume of Weltgeschicte Schach, a publication featuring whole volumes of the games of top GMs. No notes or notation, but a diagram for every move! I have the ones for Keres & a couple others stashed away somewhere

Yeah, that's what it is. Ishi Press made a reprint a while back, although I can't vouch for the print quality. I'd have a hard time giving any money to Ishi Press, but that's just my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Weltgeschichte-Schachs-Spassky-Eduard-Wildhagen/dp/4871875628

There are probably originals out there in German for somewhat higher prices.

meowbrah
EscherehcsE wrote:
swagswaggy wrote:

So, ya gonna get a copy of it?

 

No I was just curious what book it was. I'm still a novice, it would be way too much for me.

EscherehcsE
swagswaggy wrote:
EscherehcsE wrote:
swagswaggy wrote:

So, ya gonna get a copy of it?

 

No I was just curious what book it was. I'm still a novice, it would be way too much for me.

It would also probably be of limited usefulness. You could probably find most of Spassky's games for free on an online games database.

EscherehcsE

From a curiosity perspective, here's some info from chesshistory.com:

A quote from the Spassky-Fischer section of ChessHistory.com:

"Regarding the many references in the press to Fischer’s red book on Spassky (including confusion over the Wildhagen volume on Spassky and Robert Wade’s research for Fischer) see C.N.s 8962, 9167, 10677, 10682, 10686 and 10808."

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter125.html#8961._Wildhagen_books

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter128.html#9163._The_French_Defence_

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter161.html#10676._The_most_remarkable_

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter161.html#10682._Fischer_and_the_big_red_

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter162.html#10685._A_publicity_ballyhoo

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter165.html#10807._Elaine_Saunders

 

Finally, check out the photos of the Fischer memorabilia at the World Chess Hall of Fame. There is a photo of Bobby's Big Red Book, and also the book that Bob Wade worked up (sometimes confused with the Big Red Book).

https://worldchesshof.org/exhibit/memorable-life-glimpse-complex-mind-bobby-fischer

 

meowbrah
EscherehcsE wrote:
swagswaggy wrote:
EscherehcsE wrote:
swagswaggy wrote:

So, ya gonna get a copy of it?

 

No I was just curious what book it was. I'm still a novice, it would be way too much for me.

It would also probably be of limited usefulness. You could probably find most of Spassky's games for free on an online games database.

 

yeah true. While searching for the red book I found a pdf of "Chess Book: Boris Spassky's 300 wins" (book is on ebay right now for $150). I feel like it will suffice whenever my brain knows how to analyze master games haha.

EscherehcsE
swagswaggy wrote:
EscherehcsE wrote:
swagswaggy wrote:
EscherehcsE wrote:
swagswaggy wrote:

So, ya gonna get a copy of it?

 

No I was just curious what book it was. I'm still a novice, it would be way too much for me.

It would also probably be of limited usefulness. You could probably find most of Spassky's games for free on an online games database.

 

yeah true. While searching for the red book I found a pdf of "Chess Book: Boris Spassky's 300 wins" (book is on ebay right now for $150). I feel like it will suffice whenever my brain knows how to analyze master games haha.

I guess a book titled "Boris Spassky's 300 Losses" probably wouldn't sell as well.