Forums

Can Anyone Become Grandmaster?

Sort:
sookenneth

We don't need to become a Grandmaster. If we are able to win every game we play, we are already a Grandmaster. We don't even need to know how to become one for they will come looking for us if we really plays that well.

U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

what does that mean? if you become it they will come??

SmyslovFan
chess_gg wrote:

Baiting ain't gonna work, lad.

This thread is over 2500 posts long. Baiting seems to work just fine.

Mandy711

Will anyone start a thread "Can anyone be a billionaire?" I think the probability is about the same.

littledragons

Silman has posted about 10,000 hours here: http://www.chess.com/article/view/studying-master-games-and-berkmasters-first-over-the-board-tournament-game

"So, when people ask, “How can I become a grandmaster?” I tell them that they need to do something like I’ve just mentioned (and it’s SO much easier now due to chess databases!) or your grandmaster fantasy is just not going to happen. Of course, it’s easier if you have some form of mega-talent, but even then you have to work very hard to reach the highest levels. Remember what they say in Norway: It takes at least 10,000 hours of hard work if you want to have any hope of becoming world class in anything."

Ubik42

littledragons

The strange thing is that I don't know why people are arguing. It is not like people saying you cannot be a grandmaster can actually make it happen. For instance, if somone decides to make an attempt, and someone says,"nah! that's impossible!", what does that really constitute?

A law? Does someone saying something make it so? What does the words of a few internet posters mean? Or for that matter anyone else's?

If it is to be it will be, if it is not, it won't. Come what may, the only thing that counts, is the readiness for all.

So trying to prove you cannot become a GM or you can is quite pointless. The better question would be to ask a GM how he did it. Then there will follow a vocal chorus singing why you cannot. The good thing is that this does not affect reality. And there is only one way to find out what is reality, and that is by direct experience, not hearsay.

Maybe those who stand on the shore and warn you about the great deep sea have had experience, or maybe they are too timid to venture out. Maybe their warning is worth something to  those who are young and foolhardy. 

But for those who know what they will be met by, it is a waste of time to lend their ears to any further old wives tales.

littledragons

Spartan requires permission: 

the800

its so hard because there are millions of people who are >2600 and the competion is very high  none of the grand masters expected to be that high when they were~700 800 you need to have some potential and financial support and everyone haas their limit you cant go past it even rambo will get killed fighting 100 people wit ak-47's despite him being so good. For some reason i cant go over 1200 so only a few special people can get THAT good

Conflagration_Planet
the800 wrote:

its so hard because there are millions of people who are >2600 and the competion is very high  none of the grand masters expected to be that high when they were~700 800 you need to have some potential and financial support and everyone haas their limit you cant go past it even rambo will get killed fighting 100 people wit ak-47's despite him being so good. For some reason i cant go over 1200 so only a few special people can get THAT good

There are not millions of people rated over 2600.

Wilio9

If you're not already crushing most people in your local tournament by the age 16 then the answer is likely no.

The_Ghostess_Lola

The ? should be "Can anyone become Patzer ?" and the answer is, most likely, yes...if you can accurately define Patzer.

If anyone can become a GM then any one will....right ? (our secret dream ?) Then the top players will just redefine themselves with a more elite title. IOW, if any idiot can become a GM then any idiot will....so you "believers" keep deluding yourself....oh, and then go prove it to me....I have a lifetime to wait and see you do it....Smile....Lola  

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Can anyone become a patzer?  Not those already GMs unless they brain damage themselves somehow.  Otherwise just don't study. 

The_Ghostess_Lola

A GM IS a Patzer, and an expert, and a Master, and a CM, and an IM, AND, obviously a GM. The Patzer category defines skill level....loosely....correct ?....say, anyone under 1800 ?....but the word's well understood by chessplayers....especially when you're called it.....and it's only derogatory when you add your ego....Smile....

oh, and btw, sometimes (very rarely....chess blindness ?) a GM plays like a Patzer....and she/he knows they're capable of doing so.

Artch
The_Ghostess_Lola wrote:

If anyone can become a GM then any one will....right ?

Gonna have to go with "no" on this one, Bob.

If everyone can become a Wal~Mart greeter, will everyone?

ab121705
Artch wrote:
The_Ghostess_Lola wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, WalMart is very discriminating in the hiring of its greeters. They go through a rigorous screening process, grueling physical training, and 2 years of classroom study, just to get into the pool of eligible greeters. 

Conflagration_Planet
Artch wrote:
The_Ghostess_Lola wrote:

Their are not many thousands of people studying for years to become Walmart  greeters, who then fail at it either.

AlCzervik

I've put in 9546 hours of study to become a Walmart greeter. Soon, I will be at the ready when you walk in.

Ubik42

Note to self - short Walmart stock early Monday morning.

U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

wasting pages and oxygen 

This forum topic has been locked