Forums

Carlsen vs. 1200 with Queen Odds

Sort:
A_G_A

If Magnus Carlsen played against a 1200-rated player as white but also without his queen, who would win?

MitSud
Rychessmaster, I agree u might beat Carlsen up a queen, but up a rook or knight? IM Lawrence Trent repeatedly lost to Carlsen with rook odds in blitz, and in a classical super tournament (I believe it was Grenke or London) Carlsen beat Michael Adams (a 2700 player) after blundering a knight.
MitSud
Also the 1200 would probably lose considering he’s a 1200, from 1500+ they would probably win a queen up
2Late4Work

I tested against a friend who is 2200 ish a couple years ago. I was around 1200 at that time. We traded my knight against his queen on move 7 or so. Mostly I lost and 1 draw, due to his fortress I couldn`t take down. 

JayeshSinhaChess

Carlsen vs anyone upto 2300 w/ queen odds Carlsen wins. I have been hovering between 1450 and 1500 blitz and I am sure that Carlsen would smash me silly even if he was a Queen + a Rook down at the start.

JayeshSinhaChess

Actually you are all right. I had underestimated the advantage of a Queen odd. For instance I had said that Carlsen would smash me not just a Queen but also a Rook down.

I tried to test that against a level 10 computer on chess.com-

A rather easy win and I was not even trying hard, or thinking deep variations on every move. I played the game like a blitz game, just playing the most natural move every turn, and the computer fell away rather easily.

So I guess I was wrong about that.
drmrboss
JayeshSinhaChess wrote:

Carlsen vs anyone upto 2300 w/ queen odds Carlsen wins. I have been hovering between 1450 and 1500 blitz and I am sure that Carlsen would smash me silly even if he was a Queen + a Rook down at the start.

There is a huge difference of knowledge between 1400 ( your level) vs 2000+. 2300 wont lose a knight odd vs Carlsen.

Reason--- They wont drop pieces here and there frequently like your level.

It can be tested vs 2800 rated programs.