Forums

CHESS IS A SPORT, POST YOUR PROOF HERE

Sort:
victhestick

Lifted from a Health Book, circa the (early) 1970's?

"Chess is a sport that requires little or no body contact."

TomasAdduci

sport  (spôrt, sprt)

n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
a. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.
b. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.
c. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.
a. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.
b. Informal One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.
c. Informal A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.
6. Informal
a. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.
b. A gambler at sporting events.
7. Biology An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.
8. Maine See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.
9. Obsolete Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

According to definition 1: No
According to definition 2: No, it is Mental Exertion. (although the rest is quite similar)
According to definition 3: Yes
4 and onwards are meaningless for this thread.
In my particular opinion: Yes, chess is a sport. Or a Mental Sport if you want to be really specific. But it isn't a physical sport.
We could argue that sports are those games that develop and exercise a part of the body. Then in this particular case, Chess is the Mental Sport by excelence, since it helps fight memory loss and it raises mental acuity, specially in younger and older folks. (If practiced seriously, of course)
Contrary to popular belief, Chess doesn't make anyone directly smarter, it just develops a new way to think based on complex action/reaction calculation and more importantly, it develops patience and strategic planning, which are important things in life and will help you live longer (if and only if they are paired with physical activity, a good diet, and a good amount of good luck and genetic strenght)
=)
BALANCIA

i agree

ivandh

Not physically demanding?

heinzie

Chess drains dark energy

trysts
eainca wrote:
"Chess is competetive, and not physically demanding, so it is a game."

My only thought on the above is that one of the things that cut Tal's performance
was the fact that he suffered from a disorder that made top level performance
difficult due to the physical demands of competitive chess.

The "I-can't-stop-drinking-and-smoking-and-taking-pills disorder. I know it wellLaughing

chessroboto

I'd like to bring the argument of shooting events in Olympic events:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Whatever the Olynpic committee deemed as a physical activity in rifle shooting, I would like to use them as arguments for making chess into a valid sport for the Summer and/or Winter Olympics.

ilikeflags

i eat pieces of sport like you for breakfast.

h777

There is the chess olympiad but chess is not in the olympics.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Chess is a sport because...

Because Garry Kasparov said so!

donglan

Chess is sport because there is a move.

Wou_Rem

Chess is a sport because a few million people say it is.

Same goes for football, it's a sport because millions of people say so.
And "tag" isn't a sport because they do not have a million of people claiming it is.

richardberns

WORLD CHESS TOURNAMENTS

duhhh

EternalChess
Adamperfection wrote:

Kasparov believed it was a neccesity to be phyiscally fit to be a top level player, which is why he worked out quite often. Being physically fit definitely helps being a strong chess player as well as mental capacity.

Solid point, but wasnt Tal like a drinker and smoker? I hardly believe he was fit.

ivandh
SerbianChessStar wrote:
Adamperfection wrote:

Kasparov believed it was a neccesity to be phyiscally fit to be a top level player, which is why he worked out quite often. Being physically fit definitely helps being a strong chess player as well as mental capacity.

Solid point, but wasnt Tal like a drinker and smoker? I hardly believe he was fit.

Which made it all the more physically demanding.

Knightvanguard
ivandh wrote:

Not physically demanding?

LOL!

shiro_europa

i move my arms and fingers when i play chess. therefore, chess must be a type of dance.

johnallengay

Chess is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. It's actually how the infamous anti-doping rules came to apply to chess. A few of the national sport ministries told the national federations for all the particular sports that they would give them money if they instituted drug testing, so the chess federations signed up, even though doping is not a problem in chess--it's basically free money at a small inconvenience to some of the players.

That said, having played in chess tournaments and in tournaments of the more traditional sports, I think it's completely different--coming back from a chess tournament, my brain feels crushed; coming back from a sports tournament, my body feels crushed. I guess the thing they have in common is they both have the power, when I lose, to make my soul feel crushed.

WilliamIofEngland

I'm still not convinced either way

victhestick
shiro_europa wrote:

i move my arms and fingers when i play chess. therefore, chess must be a type of dance.

I just found a huge hole in the universe.

A certain segment of the entertainment industry has completely ignored chess...