Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
hhnngg1
SmyslovFan wrote:

It's very difficult to predict with accuracy what your over-the-board (OTB) rating will be based on your online ratings. Many people who have never played serious OTB chess find it much more difficult and perform at a lower level than they do online. 

Also, for various reasons, blitz ratings here have been shown to be better predictors of performance OTB than standard ratings here.

Here's data to give you a rough estimate of your rating.

https://www.chess.com/blog/smarterchess/chesscom-rating-comparison-2015

hhnngg1
eddycuchecache wrote:

Who cares about ratings, just play chess!!

Your rating is a pretty good indicator of your long-term progress and improvement. You can be pretty sure that if you're studying and your rating is going DOWN, you're doing it wrong.

Def happens to some folks who overstudy the opening. Actually happened to me as well when I studied too many tactics and neglected basic positional concepts, and totally stalled out in improvement for awhile - didn't get better until I watched a lot of youtube videos from St Louis chess and realized how much basic stuff I was messing up (esp developing pieces, not moving piece twice in the opening, centralizing, etc) - only then did my rating start going up again.

mdinnerspace

Because you lost the game. Starting at 1800 for new players I have always thought to be a mistake.

You may want to review what a win, draw and loss is.

Hypnotic_Elixir

When I go to "About Me" on my profile page, it says I have 8 points. What does that mean?

Hypnotic_Elixir
Hypnotic_Elixir wrote:

When I go to "About Me" on my profile page, it says I have 8 points. What does that mean?

And when I hover over my name in my forum post, it says I have 9 point. Why the difference?

Martin_Stahl
Hypnotic_Elixir wrote:
Hypnotic_Elixir wrote:

And when I hover over my name in my forum post, it says I have 9 point. Why the difference?

The first time you hadn't made your first post (two above this one) so you had 8. As soon as you made that post, you had 9. Then when you replied to it, you would have had 10. Has nothing to do with the rating that the topic is about.

itsdavidtho

Wow OP is an [removed for language -- MOD]

Di-Caprio

Sorry if i speak bad english.

I have a question: is the level on blitz really harder than otherwhere?

When i strarted chess 2 monthes ago i came here after some weeks, i played 10/15 and won easy, i grown up to 1300 and stopped. Then i started blitz 10 mins and wow, i felt into 900 rank.

I saw 1200 is "beginner" ok, so why is there peoples rated 800 who knows every traps, gambit and more?

This is amazing, im on club i beat 1400 + and here they all play good. What do you think about it?

I grown up to 980 but felt with disconnect everytime (strange disconnection, i ask me if its not my oponent who cheat because everytime im disconnected its when im wining) do you think im right?

Thanks

Di-Caprio

Hm thanks 😮. Human answer now?

Di-Caprio

I just want to know if blitz level is higher than 15/10

Martin_Stahl
Cloudoncolorsky wrote:
Hi friends

Mar 25, 2016 
 hob333 - Cloudoncolorsky = draw 
Mar 25, 2016  
Cloudoncolorsky - hob333  = draw 

Why my rating did not change?

best regards
Cloudoncolorsky

Not enough moves were made. Essentially, no game was played. I believe each side has to have made 4 moves for a rating change, though I thought that tourney games didn't use that. Was that actually a team match?

mdinnerspace

How is a rating affected when playing a new player?

Example: a new player signs up with a 1800 rating and plays a 2000 player. Is the same system used for provisional players, points gained and lost?

Will the 2000 lose the normal points? The other side if a 1600 plays a new 1800 and wins, are the same points gained?

baddogno
mdinnerspace wrote:

How is a rating affected when playing a new player?

Example: a new player signs up with a 1800 rating and plays a 2000 player. Is the same system used for provisional players, points gained and lost?

Any of these threads on the Glicko rating system should answer your question, but basically playing a new player doesn't affect your score much because his rating is unreliable.

https://www.chess.com/forum/search?keyword=Glicko+RD

mdinnerspace

Thanks for links. Btw, if each side has made a move, the result stands at move 2, even aborts. (same as resign). 1 exception is "time outs" where it stated 4 moves.

Confirms my thought there is nothing to gain being a 1900 player (online) in playing a new 1800 player and everything to lose points wise. Back when all players started at 1200 and worked their way up made more sense. Now new signups via a phone app. can start at 1800. A mistake imo. by chess.com. A vast majority have not a clue to their strength.

Martin_Stahl

It's not just the phone app but v3 as well. However, since their RD will be high, it shouldn't really have much if an impact as they will quickly drop to where they should be or rise up as the case may be.

Based on the help article,  I guess you are right. I was remembering incorrectly. However,  based on those game results, the site may have implemented someting similar to combat rating manipulation.

Daviddabommer
Maybe they should change it of course
mdinnerspace

As Martin said, a player can quickly raise their rating if in fact they be stronger. It is only natural for all new players to want the highest rating (1800) when signing up. I agree, this needs to be changed as most are well below this in reality. 1800 is in the top 3 to 4 % for online anyway.

1 side affect is detrimental imo. I'm around 1900 and my seeks often include 1800 (online). I constantly am aborting challanges by new 1800 players. I will not play a provisional rating that is most likely in error. Everything to lose and nothing to gain. There are other reasons of course which are understood. A 1200 can reach 1800 and establish a profile and history of fair play in a short time.

Where whould I suggest chess.com should return to 1200 for all new players (unless titled)?

Martin_Stahl

You can either post a topic in Site Feedback & Suggestions or open a ticket.

https://support.chess.com/customer/portal/emails/new

That said, if you face a 1800 new player, what is the max you will lose? If your RD is low enough I can't see it changing that much at all. And if they win, then their estimated rating isn't probably far off.

Martin_Stahl

A better solution might be to have a filter to not get paired if a player has less than 5 games, even if their rating is in the right range.

mdinnerspace

Good idea. My original question, how much would I l lose? I think close to the same as if the player weren't provisional. At least I recall that to be the case sometime back.