Forums

Chess strategy books for a player rated around 2000 USCF

Sort:
binchunsu

notmtwain

Do you know somebody who is rated around 2000?

ChessOfPlayer
notmtwain wrote:

Do you know somebody who is rated around 2000?

He could very well be  He claims, on his profile, to have a 1932 USCF rating.  I don't have enough suspicion to dispute it lol.  

At OP.  As being a sub 2000 too, I have never focused on positional chess overly.  I recomend buying Silman's Reasses your chess book.  It should give you a good grasp of postional chess up to that level and possibly beyond.

DrSpudnik

I don't know how anyone gets a USCF OTB rating without a serious course of study of some sort.

Salem-Saberhagen

getting back on topic, the english grandmasters are brilliant writers and John Nunn's "understanding chess move by move" is quite good.

BlunderLots

My System, by Nimzo, is an oldie, but goodie.

Excelling at Chess, by Jacob Aagard, is also full of great insights.

Both books should improve your playing at the 2000+ level.

binchunsu

Thanks. Reassess Your Chess and My System look pretty good.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?14437920

ChrisWainscott
Aagaard's book Positional Chess.

IIRC even Silman says at most he aimed that book at 2000, mostly for lower ratings. Not that you couldn't learn things but I wouldn't think of it as the best choice. Nunn's move by move book is more like 1500. I'd go with Aagard.

binchunsu

@0110001101101000 Yeah, some parts seem to be really basic in Reassess Your Chess.

ChessOfPlayer
binchunsu wrote:

@0110001101101000 Yeah, some parts seem to be really basic in Reassess Your Chess.

Basic Stragegy and advanced tactics, in my opinion, is the way to 2000+!

RichColorado

I posted an analysis of a book especially for chess players that are over 2000, I noticed your live rating is 1800 + . . . This book looks at chess for master t h at can remember variations of openings by black or white ..

You might want to check this post out . . .. it might be what you are looking for . . ..

IMHO . . . .

DENVER

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/i-hate-playing-d4-or-against-it-i-dont-know-what-to-do----do-you

chessistheboss
binchunsu wrote:

dumb

Salem-Saberhagen

Totally idiotic comment about Nunn's book.

AIM-AceMove

If you are 14? years of age and already ~2000 , (wow) just continue what you do , looks like it works pretty well and perhaps you should read books like Amateur to IM , or actually more advanced stuff ,..

chessistheboss

binchunsu is my brother happy.png

binchunsu

@AIM-AceMove Actually, I haven't studied chess seriously for about three years already, and I want to improve again.Smile