Forums

Chess tilt - lost 200 elo in 1 week, ready to quit

Sort:
kengir

I am going to try it too. My rating is still much too high. So I will take a five day break and see if I can reach the high 1200s. If it works for you why not me? I'm sick of all this handicap piling up.

And there is this: Chess.com has detected that one of your opponents has cheated and has punished you for that by increasing your rating handicap. Every day!! I mean. Why? I have never cheated. Why am I punished like this? If you add all of them up its hundreds of points!!

What have I done to deserve that? How can I ever win an arena if those stupid handicap points are just shoved in like that? Is it a collective punishment?

delhiguyritesh

The same feeling I had last year until I read this beautiful book on chess concepts -- The review page is here

https://bit.ly/3IaS4aZ

piedraven

I'll admit that I once briefly made the decision to delete my account because I was so mad that I couldn't stop blundering.

Changed my mind though and decided to just be strict with myself and not overdo it late into the night until my brain is fried.

A_Kayak

I dragged my account up from 200 elo to 1050 and then in one day I lost 200 points. I went from averaging a brilliant move every once in a while to averaging 4 blunders a game.

Hakimou-1345

hi

CaroKannEnjoyer02

Im actually in the middle of a big dip: I used to be ~800 or something like that, but I have recently fell into a spiral of loss after loss. As somebody who used to worry about their rating a ton, (to the point of cheating, stealing the fun out of others games, and of my own games), I think the best thing to know when it comes to those ups and downs is that they are gonna happen, and they are natural. They aren't you getting worse, just a little dip, just a small streak in the big picture. You WILL get back up, the question is when. Use this as a learning experience.

fang2345
thothotho wrote:

I recently hit my peak of low 1700s in blitz, minimal study just playing a lot recently after a few years. This week I have dropped over 200 elo points! Has anyone else gone through such dips?

I am tilting massively and starting to not enjoying it. I am used to losing in chess, but when you losing to players you think you should be beating it feels worse. And the drop it Elo makes it feel like you are unlearning chess.

I can't see basic tactics, or seeing threats and forgetting them 2 moves later, blundering loads.

I don't see how you can just forget or unlearn chess in the space of a week.

lie

PHENYPHERSY
Just get better
BirminghamSkies

I just lost over 200 points, feels bad. I hit 1613 and then I just started losing. Now I’m down to low 1400s and even struggling to beat 1300s. I did catch a cold and should have stopped playing but I didn’t think it would be this bad…

Knights_outt

I have felt that I once lost 100 elo in one day but if you keep going it will come back!!!

idk_wh000

idk suddenly i am losing it anyway...... dont know wat's the reason but...... i want to quit..... imagine after win streak of 6 ...5 game loose and after that win lose ratio becomes like 1 win 4 lose.....

ChessMasteryOfficial

BigOlFaxMachine

That’s nothing. I lose 300 elo in a day. I used to be 1760. I’m 1400 now

W1ngX

HI

Andrew8190

I feel absolutely certain that my current drop of 200 elo and previous drops is not only down to my poor play but also "stronger" opposition. I'm convinced that even though i'm playing players with 200 less elo points than before, they are playing lines that have me lost and finding tactics that are beyond me. My conspiracy theory is that chess.com blacklists you if you receive too much negative feedback for whatever reason and throws you in to a match-up pool of players suspected of using engines to assist their play. The amount of times I've had a winning position before my opposition plays best move after best move until the position is equalised has me convinced.

ItzMeRK02

Guys

kengir

@Andrew8190 --> From experience I think you are partly right. It seems that the 1600-1700 ranges are littered with "perfect" players now and then. So when you drop below 1800 it can really put you down. Which in turn works on your desperation leading toe the kind of 1 e4 b5 (0-1) games. the Ego is a fragile thing when confronted with perfect play.