Forums

FIDE pronounciation

Sort:
Disgruntled_Sheep

Undecided Stupid question? Hopefully not sorry. Undecided

I have only ever read FIDE on the internet and have never heard anyone say it. Does it rhyme with tide, or is it feed-eh or something else?

goldendog

It's not fido? Must be fee-day then.

Crazychessplaya

/ˈfd/

Joseph-S
goldendog wrote:

It's not fido? Must be fee-day then.

You get a new tennis ball for that one!  Smile 

Disgruntled_Sheep

Ahh good to see the chess community taking this seriously Tongue out

Thanks for the help all, fee-day it is then

AndyClifton

If you take things seriously, then you start accusing people of passing messages in their yogurt...in short, you end up acting like the people in FIDE. Smile

Skwerly

it's "said" FEE-DAY.  :) 

and yes, i'm sure of that. 

goldendog
Joseph-S wrote:

You get a new tennis ball for that one!   

Ah, that new tennis ball smell.

Thanks!

heinzie

Isn't it spelled and pronounced as "pronunciation"?

heinzie

FEE-DUH btw

goldendog

It's fee-day, but if I had a second choice it would be fee-doy-doy-diddly-die-die-diddly-doy-doy-diddly.

gabrielconroy

I'm pretty sure it's fee-day since it stands for Federation International D'Echecs (give or take some accents), and the D'Echecs part is pronounced 'day-shek'.

Crazychessplaya

Is "fungi" pronounced "fun-jee" or "fun-ghee"?

corrijean

kco

thought it would be more like fe-fi-fo-fum.

vlady92

It's FI-DE. Not FEE-DAY. It's with a pure "E" vowel at the end, not the stupid English specific "schwa" sounds. F-I-D-E. FIDE. Phonetically pronounced. As in Latin.

cabadenwurt

Well English is not my first language but I would guess that it is sounded out as any abbreviation would be. For example BMW is pronounced as B---M---W, however I stand to be corrected ( no, just a minute, I'm sitting down  lol ).    

waffllemaster

In English, I've heard pros use fee-day.  Pedantic club-mates who argue over how to pronounce pirc and alekhine in 3 different languages (I wish I was kidding lol) say fee-day too (and never argue about that)... so I'm pretty sure it's fee-day :)

Disgruntled_Sheep

Oh dear what is this monster I have created?!?!? Surprised

At least I have a better grasp on my pronunciation! 

McAlbion
AndyClifton wrote:

If you take things seriously, then you start accusing people of passing messages in their yogurt...in short, you end up acting like the people in FIDE.

I thought it tasted funny.