Forums

Finally reached 1700 blitz. How much respect does 1700 player deserve? Yes/No?

Sort:
polebuster

i respect dogs more

sadkid2008

My uscf is about 900 but I have a significantly higher blitz rating which is proof of how little it proves.

sadkid2008

Also, I would approximate that it deserves 2 respect.

ponz111

blitz is fine if you are playing chess "for fun". 1700 is fine also. All or most chess players deserve respect regardless of their rating. 

polebuster

i abuse players below 1800

vesna10

waaaa?

congrandolor

Congrats man, I hope I join you one day

polebuster

any tips to reach 1900

staples13

Congrats. Well deserved. Go get 2000 now!

Tnxcya

hoi mates ( get it?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tnxcya

)

CavalryFC

polebuster wrote:

i abuse players below 1800

I don't even know you and I have a horrific image in my mind of you "abusing yourself"

little_guinea_pig

To a beginner, 1800 rating is god-like.

To a GM, 1800 rating is laughable.

End of story.

Tnxcya

Cavalry, I see it too. its gross.

FaceCrusher

Depends. In some places, a 1700 would walk around and be something of a demigod, and crush anything in his path. A 1700 could walk into most high school clubs and beat everyone's ass easily with ass whippin left over. He could walk into most college clubs and defend himself quite well. As far "My Uncle John plays chess" type people, a 1700 would probably whip uncle John's ass handily. At a full out Chess Tournament, a 1700 would just blend in and not be special. On here, where everyone is a 2830 regardless of their rating, a 1700 would be nothing. So it all depends. 

Tnxcya

yea tru

SmyslovFan

A 1700 OTB is still well above average. Experts and masters, who are 300-600 points higher rated than a mere 1700, deserve more respect.

In golf terms, a 1700 would be the equivalent of a bogey player, while experts and masters would be scratch players and golf pros.

Tnxcya

I play golf. I think im a player.

Ronin2

Forgive me for my braggadocio  - just achieved 1705 Blitz rating a couple minutes ago. Shout out to my victims.

ollieburr
drmrboss wrote:

0 respect to both 1700 and your goal of 2000.They all play lousy moves and hang pieces as beginners, though the frequency is decreasing from frequently to less frequently. ( myself is being 2000 though). And I have 'zero OTB rating' though being 2000+ in here.

You are right. People of our ability do hang pieces somewhat frequently. But your analysis is very limited. Some personality types may struggle with meticulousness but have a real chess creativity that may be better than your own, perhaps not. Chess punishes carelessness harshly, but that doesn’t mean players performing at our level do not have lots of chess potential. My friend, why do you not encourage people in their strengths and potential as you point out their weaknesses? Well done to this player on reaching 1700 - they can now push on!