Forums

For online chess 1-14days per move, what aides are allowed?

Sort:
kajuncrabb

Is it ok to use a comp to analyze or opening books references in these types of online correspondence chess.

Rumpelstiltskin

Only books. Nothing else. No computer, no friends, nothing. Only books!!

Fear_ItseIf

books and databases

pdve

no engines. no assistance from friends/coaches/others. everything else is permitted.

HappyUngulate

Here's the relevant points from the official rules (available here):

• Outside assistance from other people, computers/chess engines, or endgame tablebases is entirely prohibited
  • In turn-based chess, You MAY use books, magazines, or other articles. You may also use computer databases (including Chess.com's Game Explorer). for opening moves.
  • Openings books and game databases may be consulted for Online (correspondence-style) Chess only
Rumpelstiltskin

Yes. That too! :-)

MSC157

THIS database isn't allowed. Am I right?

Zinsch
Estragon wrote:
MSC157 wrote:

THIS database isn't allowed. Am I right?

Good question.

Even though it includes engine evaluations, the organization is that of a database, it isn't actually doing any calculating live, so it should be okay.

I don't think, it makes a difference whether the engine evaluation is done "live" or not. It's help with a computer evaluation, and that's definitely not good.

NimzoRoy

THIS DB isn't allowed (or shouldn't be in case chess.com hasn't prohibited it): Nalimov Endgame Tables have solved ALL endgames with 6 or less pieces (note: pawns and Kings are counted as "pieces" too)  Other clubs have banned them from CC or online use in games. 

http://thechessworld.com/resources/nalimov-endgame-tables

As far as the "other" DB goes I don't understand what the BFD about "engine" evaluations is, all books are allowed and BCO, MCO, ECO, NCO, opening manuals etc all have "human" evaluations which are superior to engine evaluations IMHO and where does everybody who worships engine evaluations think they came from? The engines? No, the engines are making evaluations based on whatever was programmed into them - by old-fashioned carbon-based chess engines relying on primitive neurons and synapses instead of CPUs and RAM.