Forums

Forced Checkmate/ Resign Button

Sort:
clms_chess

Im sure this has been proposed somewhere...but..

What if you can show a forced mate through conditional moves... and claim the win.

Forced checkmate is understood to mean... no matter what line of play your opponent tries... the result will be... checkmate as proven by your conditional moves.

What I'm talking about where this would be really handy... would be the last game left in group play of a very large tourny (e.g. annual chess.com tourny) where most or all of the other groups have finished (to go to the next round)... and everyone is waiting for that one game.

I saw one game come down to a typical K+Q vs. K and it took months to finish.......from there.

What do you guys think?... a button that is avaiable to claim a win... only if proven through conditional moves?

AnnaEA

Nah.  If you've got a forced mate, just play it.  Or take the win on time if your opponent is a jerk about it.

Chess_Enigma

Seems a good idea, would not be difficult to program.

ilmago

If you have a forced mate, just play it, I agree. You may even simply enter this forced mate as conditional moves if you wish to.

Hugh_T_Patterson

Play it out. The beauty of chess is in the moves,even a forced mate.

clms_chess

You know what?... my fault. I was not clear enough... or better, I was not clear at all....

WHY... you would want to force mate.

If an opponent is NOT resigning in a LOST position and has been taking.... forever... to move.

THEN.... you just plug in your conditional forced mate moves... and you claim the win.

Now.. what do you think?

dalf

... yes, a button would be helpful to non-premium players

... but, a non-premium player is only allowed one (1) conditional line of moves ... so, he is not able to show all the lines of the forced mate in cases there are more than one (1) conditional line of moves ... unless the button would allow him to enter all the conditional lines.

Azukikuru

I once played a game with 14-day time controls (never again!) on the Facebook application, which didn't have conditional moves before the big merge. The opponent was obviously going to play on until checkmate and was taking an average of seven days per move towards the end. The game lasted about four months.

When I saw a forced mate in three (with KQ+P vs. K+P), I announced it, and the guy asked, "Really?" and actually played his last couple of moves much faster.

So there are exceptions.

clms_chess
tonydal wrote:

There are worse problems to have...

Lol... yes, there are worse problems and thanks for your always insightful NM opinion. What I'm talking about where this would be really handy... would be the last game left in group play of a very large tourny (e.g. annual chess.com tourny) where most or all of the other groups have finished (to go to the next round)... and everyone is waiting for that one game.

I saw one game come down to a typical K+Q vs. K and it took months to finish.......from there. 

Upgrayedd

I wouldn't play a game under those conditions: just because my opponent can see he's won, it doesn't mean that I necessarily can.  And if I'm not allowed to see and get a feel for HOW my position leads to checkmate, I'll never learn.

LAexpress12

please do not copy me, this one was MINE lol jk some1 did it b4 me but i have more posts. HA! here---> throw an octupus today!

planeden
FullmetalAlchemist wrote:

please do not copy me, this one was MINE lol jk some1 did it b4 me but i have more posts. HA! here---> throw an octupus today!

well yeah, but a lot of those were quoting the princess bride when we thought you were being funny. 

LAexpress12

planeden, i am always serious about being funny.

planeden

many people just don't seem to understand how hard it is to be funny.  i study that a lot more than i study chess.  which may be why my chess rating is so low.  not sure what my funny rating is, but that is pretty subjective anyway. 

Dragec
And who is to verify your force mate sequence? I can already imagine chess.com hiring new staff just to confirm the claimed wins. And what if you miss, and your nice 6 move mate sequence has a hole in it. And to tell you that you're wrong, would actually help you by giving the advice about the game in progress. So, my answer is, read the laws of chess, basic objective is to checkmate your opponent, so just do it.
Conquistador

I believe this might be a joke, at least I hope it is.

jim995

Just do conditional moves or play it, because maybe you missed a move or thought that it wasn't a forced mate when it really was (allowing an unfairly won game).

Dragec
Exactly.
Hypocrism

I think the idea would be to have a forced mate button. Then the program opens with an opponent's possible move and you play the variation through, each opponent move is the first one it randomly picks. Then at the end of the variation, the computer chooses a different second to last move, and you have to # in that variation. And so on until you've exhausted all of the possible lines from that point to checkmate.

Not worth it to me.

clms_chess
Dragec wrote:
And who is to verify your force mate sequence? I can already imagine chess.com hiring new staff just to confirm the claimed wins. And what if you miss, and your nice 6 move mate sequence has a hole in it. And to tell you that you're wrong, would actually help you by giving the advice about the game in progress. So, my answer is, read the laws of chess, basic objective is to checkmate your opponent, so just do it.

The computer would verify it... if its not... its not and you cannot claim it. Again, where this would likely be applicable would be at the end of a game where you have a basic checkmate pattern... K+Q vs. K for example.

And as stated above and in the OP... would be handy to finish such a game where everyone else is waiting for THAT one game to finish so that all the rest of the finished groups/players can move on to the next round. Again, Ive seen that last game to complete a round.... last for months.

Further Note: Maybe this could be an Option that the TD could choose when setting up a tourny and is stated so in the description of the tourny. In otherwords... its not regularly available unless chosen by the TD.