Forums

How do I get to 2000 USCF?

Sort:
anotherchessplayer1

Hi, I am a sophomore in hs hoping to be 2000+ by the end of junior year. I have been playing chess since kindergarten and stopped in 5th grade with an 870 rating. This past summer I have been practicing a lot on chess.com. I went to my first tourney since 5th gradr about 2 weeks ago and my rating went up to 1077 and I performed at 1211. I want to how and what I need to study in order to become 2000+. I've noticed that my opening repertoire is horrible however my tactics are decent. what shall I do?

RCI329

use chess mentor

shell_knight

That kind of improvement would put you on par with some of the fastest improvement ever.  You'd have to work every day and play in tournaments often.  I guess most importantly would be you'd have to find it fun.

You'd have to study at least a little bit of everything.  Things like tactics and annotated games probably rank above others in importance.  A coach or club with strong players is probably necessary.

Openings rank near the bottom.  You should know the first few moves and the main ideas of the openings you play.  Annotated games are good for this (you can adopt a GM's repertoire).  Avoid memorizing lots of lines 10+ moves out.

ChristopherYoo

Tactics and more tactics.  Use Tactics Trainer here and CT-Art.

You can get to 1600/1800 without an opening repertoire, but you won't get there without strong tactics.