Forums

I wonder why algebraic notation?

Sort:
long_quach

Fahrenheit defined 100° F as body temperature.

No it's not, it's 98.6° F.

The base still stands.

The base of Metric is water and the circumference of the Earth.

long_quach
magipi wrote:

Meter is not defined in relation to Earth's circumference since 1799.

The circumference of the Earth is 40,075 km, as opposed to 40,000 km as it was originally defined.

Similar to Gradians, 400. Equator to the pole is 10,000 km x 4.

Ooh, the original definition is only 99.8 % accurate.

The base is still the same.

DrSpudnik

The Earth is an oblate spheroid and over the years, I too am starting to look like that as well!
No matter how you measure it, it's terrible.

long_quach
DrSpudnik wrote:

The Earth is an oblate spheroid and over the years, I too am starting to look like that as well!
No matter how you measure it, it's terrible.

It is still the base of the kilometer, in a clever sci-fi, Star Trek sense.

long_quach
magipi wrote:

The most amazing thing about long_quach is that he writes nonsense like this in every post . . . about Chinese writing . . . none of that has even the slightest connection to reality.

Chinese dictionaries are listed by

1. their sound transcribed in alphabetic order.

2. the number of strokes.

What if there is another way.

A glass container with water and fish in it. How would I "reverse" look up the word "fish tank".

What if there is another way. An etymological dictionary.

I know the root word be

water

fish

container

glass

Let's go by weight.

water.

I know "aqua" is water

aqua > aquarium!

Such a scheme exists! An etymology dictionary.

https://www.etymonline.com/

This dictionary uses an etymological scheme. It is unique among Chinese dictionary.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/i-wonder-why-algebraic-notation?quote_id=97039681&page=17#comment-97038871

Then I can go to a Thesaurus.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/aquarium

aquarium = fish tank.

long_quach

Hello = 你好

How would you look up 好 if

You don't know what it means.

You don't know how it is pronounced?

You don't have handwriting recognition software that can translate into Unicode?

It truly challenges your logical reasoning and organization schemes.

You can forget standard Chinese or Bi-lingual dictionary. You don't know the sound. You don't know the meaning.

Only an etymology dictionary can you find it.

You have to learn 200 root words.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/i-wonder-why-algebraic-notation?page=17#comment-97037809

好 = 女 woman, a glyph of a woman crossing her legs doing a "curtsy" a courteous bow, like ballet dancers do (ballet is body language).

It took me 4 seconds to find it in an etymological dictionary. You try it. A piece of cake.

You try it.

https://zhongwen.com/

Swamp_Varmint

Fairly sure the original base meter was just a stick. The folks in charge of such things made it a fraction of the circumference of the earth about the pole to generalize it, but that wasn't the starting point (and changed it again since then too).

0 C was originally defined in terms of the freezing point of water at sea level, as far as I know.
And grams were defined in terms of the weight of 1cm^3 of water. But not all the metric standards are this clean.

long_quach
Swamp_Varmint wrote:

Fairly sure the original base meter was just a stick.

That would be an English system, the experiential system.

A stick, like a stick tool you use in a yard? like a hoe or a rake? LIke a yardstick?

That's too common sense.

Even way back in the day, the French went all Star Trek, circumference of the Earth, the only fixed distance.

Swamp_Varmint
long_quach wrote:
Swamp_Varmint wrote:

A stick, like a stick tool you use in a yard? like a hoe or a rake? LIke a yardstick?

That's too common sense.

Even way back in the day, the French went all Star Trek, circumference of the Earth, the only fixed distance.

Alright, there was a stick, in Paris, as far back as 1799, but apparently it was already based on some calculation of the distance 'round the poles (one ten millionth, it appears). I didn't think the very first one was.

long_quach
Swamp_Varmint wrote:
long_quach wrote:
Swamp_Varmint wrote:

That's too common sense.

Alright, there was a stick, in Paris, as far back as 1799, but apparently it was already based on some calculation of the distance 'round the poles (one ten millionth, it appears). I didn't think the very first one was.

Yardstick has the word yard + stick in it.

Very simple, very "down to earth" language.

Not the Starship Enterprise orbiting the Terran (French for earth, as in terrain) planet.

TheCranberryPilgrim
long_quach wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

The whole rest of the world was using it. I hated it till I tried it. Now I like it.

Of course, everybody was supposed to go metric back then too (as Metastable has alluded to).

Metric is a bad idea.

long_quach

And how do you measure the weight of water?

You can't directly.

You have to subtract the weight of the container.

You can measure the weight of stones. You put the stone on the scale.

Unless it is in ice form, in the winter. But ice is a little bit lighter than water!

long_quach

Hmm. Speaking of Star Trek.

The French idea came true.

GPS, Global Positioning System, from satellites in space.

Automatic farm machines use GPS, from space.

Incredible!

Ziryab
magipi wrote:
long_quach wrote:

Metric is a bad idea.

Everything is based on water.

(...)

Take a distance of that fraction of the circumference of the Earth. Make a cube container. Fill it with water.

And that's how much I weigh.

It is ridiculous.

The most amazing thing about long_quach is that he writes nonsense like this in every post. And he writes 100 posts in every topic. No one will even notice what he wrote, because 30 minutes later he had 10 more posts, about McDonalds, about Chinese writing and about Go. And none of that has even the slightest connection to reality. Let alone to chess notation.

@long_quach has his own style. Sometimes he offers error, but mostly his posts contribute original ideas and interesting research. It took me awhile to appreciate his contribution, but I do.