Forums

If you don’t accept at least one rematch after you win, then you lose.

SrWaldo
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:

The reason most people don't ask again for the rematch later is because of how harshly you rejected the first. But even if that does show them having less interest for that rematch as they could, that doesn't justify your first rejection. I guess it means they accepted the loss of the second chance, but that doesn't justify taking it away in the first place.

"I don't want to play now" is a perfectly valid reason to reject a friendly match, yeah, but if you want to have it later, then send a message or a friend request, because that first wordless rejection will make it very unlikely that they're the ones who approach again, as I just explained. Unless you do want it to be your last match (save for the possibility of being paired by the algorithm). If you do want it to be the last match, that's valid too; but do understand that it shows a lack of competitive spirit, which I know you don't have a problem with, but also understand that you're probably leaving a disappointed opponent without that second chance, so you might at least say something.

One mouse click can't be more harsh that another.

I don't care whom I will play next time and will make no effort to play the same opponent.

Disappointed opponent is not my problem.

I don't say it's harsh because it's a mouse click, but because you're ignoring them. I don't know why you bring the mouse click thing again when I already explained this several times.

It's not your obligation to make any effort to play the same opponent, that's true, but if you know the person in front of you wants to play again, doing so would be the best if you can.

"Disappointed opponent is not my problem." Not even when you caused the disappointment? I'm not saying you should accept to play a game you don't want just to not disappoint the person, but if you're aware this is how you're opponent is likely to feel, specially being after one single match which you won, at least say something; or at the very least don't express such indifference here in the forum.

BrotherCuber
chesstenor2018 wrote:
If you win a game against someone and they ask you for a rematch, and you don’t agree to do the rematch, then you lose and that person wins.

That's powerful

uri65
SrWaldo wrote:
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:

The reason most people don't ask again for the rematch later is because of how harshly you rejected the first. But even if that does show them having less interest for that rematch as they could, that doesn't justify your first rejection. I guess it means they accepted the loss of the second chance, but that doesn't justify taking it away in the first place.

"I don't want to play now" is a perfectly valid reason to reject a friendly match, yeah, but if you want to have it later, then send a message or a friend request, because that first wordless rejection will make it very unlikely that they're the ones who approach again, as I just explained. Unless you do want it to be your last match (save for the possibility of being paired by the algorithm). If you do want it to be the last match, that's valid too; but do understand that it shows a lack of competitive spirit, which I know you don't have a problem with, but also understand that you're probably leaving a disappointed opponent without that second chance, so you might at least say something.

One mouse click can't be more harsh that another.

I don't care whom I will play next time and will make no effort to play the same opponent.

Disappointed opponent is not my problem.

I don't say it's harsh because it's a mouse click, but because you're ignoring them. I don't know why you bring the mouse click thing again when I already explained this several times.

It's not your obligation to make any effort to play the same opponent, that's true, but if you know the person in front of you wants to play again, doing so would be the best if you can.

"Disappointed opponent is not my problem." Not even when you caused the disappointment? I'm not saying you should accept to play a game you don't want just to not disappoint the person, but if you're aware this is how you're opponent is likely to feel, specially being after one single match which you won, at least say something; or at the very least don't express such indifference here in the forum.

Being ignored on the internet is normal, nothing harsh.

Playing the person in front of me because he wants to play again would be the best for him. I chose what is the best for me - not to play.

Disappointed opponent is not my problem, not even when I caused the disappointment. He knew he can loose, he knew there will be probably just one game. He can also say something. When I loose OTB I am the first to congratulate my opponent and to thank him for the game.

I will ask you for the second time: have you ever played rated OTB game? I am asking because I have over 10 years at chess.com and in competitive OTB play and I have a feeling that I am being told how to behave by someone with much less experience and exposure to chess culture.

SrWaldo
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:

The reason most people don't ask again for the rematch later is because of how harshly you rejected the first. But even if that does show them having less interest for that rematch as they could, that doesn't justify your first rejection. I guess it means they accepted the loss of the second chance, but that doesn't justify taking it away in the first place.

"I don't want to play now" is a perfectly valid reason to reject a friendly match, yeah, but if you want to have it later, then send a message or a friend request, because that first wordless rejection will make it very unlikely that they're the ones who approach again, as I just explained. Unless you do want it to be your last match (save for the possibility of being paired by the algorithm). If you do want it to be the last match, that's valid too; but do understand that it shows a lack of competitive spirit, which I know you don't have a problem with, but also understand that you're probably leaving a disappointed opponent without that second chance, so you might at least say something.

One mouse click can't be more harsh that another.

I don't care whom I will play next time and will make no effort to play the same opponent.

Disappointed opponent is not my problem.

I don't say it's harsh because it's a mouse click, but because you're ignoring them. I don't know why you bring the mouse click thing again when I already explained this several times.

It's not your obligation to make any effort to play the same opponent, that's true, but if you know the person in front of you wants to play again, doing so would be the best if you can.

"Disappointed opponent is not my problem." Not even when you caused the disappointment? I'm not saying you should accept to play a game you don't want just to not disappoint the person, but if you're aware this is how you're opponent is likely to feel, specially being after one single match which you won, at least say something; or at the very least don't express such indifference here in the forum.

Being ignored on the internet is normal, nothing harsh.

Playing the person in front of me because he wants to play again would be the best for him. I chose what is the best for me - not to play.

Disappointed opponent is not my problem, not even when I caused the disappointment. He knew he can loose, he knew there will be probably just one game. He can also say something. When I loose OTB I am the first to congratulate my opponent and to thank him for the game.

I will ask you for the second time: have you ever played rated OTB game? I am asking because I have over 10 years at chess.com and in competitive OTB play and I have a feeling that I am being told how to behave by someone with much less experience and exposure to chess culture.

Being ignored on the internet is normal. That doesn't make it better or less harsh, specially depending on the situation. But either way, it discourages people from approaching you again.

If the best for you is not to play again, that's valid. Just, again, do understand that it's disappointing for a lot of people and, if you don't provide any reason for it and just leave, it looks bad for the reasons I've been explaining.

OTB means playing in person, right? I have played those, though I don't know if any of them was rated. Regardless, what you're presenting here is an argument of authority, which is a cognitive bias. Just because someone is older or has more experience in an activity or sport that doesn't mean they know worse or better about good behavior and politeness. And, no offence, but saying stuff like "A disappointed opponent is not my problem, even when I caused the disappointment" isn't really a good indicator of having such knowledge. I'm sorry, but if you have a feeling that someone with much less experience and exposure to chess culture is telling you how to behave, it's probably because it's happening.

uri65
SrWaldo wrote:

it's disappointing for a lot of people...

OTB means playing in person, right? I have played those, though I don't know if any of them was rated.

I have seen dozens of disappointed players after loss in an official OTB competition. No rematches were offered to them because they are nonexistent. Nobody was trying to do something to comfort them. They were taking there disappointment as mature adults, who understand that the result of the game is their own responsibility.

You were playing OTB but don't know if it was rated? Thank you. That's all we need to know about your level of understanding of chess as a sport. Thank you and goodbye.

SrWaldo
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:

it's disappointing for a lot of people...

OTB means playing in person, right? I have played those, though I don't know if any of them was rated.

I have seen dozens of disappointed players after loss in an official OTB competition. No rematches were offered to them because they are nonexistent. Nobody was trying to do something to comfort them. They were taking there disappointment as mature adults, who understand that the result of the game is their own responsibility.

You were playing OTB but don't know if it was rated? Thank you. That's all we need to know about your level of understanding of chess as a sport. Thank you and goodbye.

Why do you keep bringing up the tournament thing? Again, even if there are no rematches within tournaments, that doesn't mean your first match with someone should be the last one. There are always friendly matches and the next tournament. That's not a reason to have no rematches here.

Now I think you just started talking about something completely different that has nothing to do with this. When they say "they were taking their disappointment like mature adults", you're talking about the disappointment of losing a game. I am talking about the disappointment about not being able to try again. And yes, I know you're going to say that you can't try again in a tournament, but you'd be missing the point; there's always the next tournament, and there's also getting another round with a player.

The thing about "taking disappointment as mature adults" is actually irrelevant to this topic. It's like I said earlier: whether I overreact or let it slide doesn't change anything: a rude gesture is a rude gesture. It's like saying there shouldn't be a problem with me punching people in the face, because adults shouldn't cry about pain in the face.

Now, what does my level of understanding of chess as a sport has to do with all of this? What I'm saying applies to any sport.

Pyronite2000

No one is obligated to give a rematch. Just because one person may feel sore after losing and not getting a rematch, just carry that feeling into the next game and crush them. You'll feel a lot better than worrying about a past match. 

Vlandian_Knight

Haven't been offered a rematch yet. Well, it will probably happen eventually.

uri65
SrWaldo wrote:
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:

it's disappointing for a lot of people...

OTB means playing in person, right? I have played those, though I don't know if any of them was rated.

I have seen dozens of disappointed players after loss in an official OTB competition. No rematches were offered to them because they are nonexistent. Nobody was trying to do something to comfort them. They were taking there disappointment as mature adults, who understand that the result of the game is their own responsibility.

You were playing OTB but don't know if it was rated? Thank you. That's all we need to know about your level of understanding of chess as a sport. Thank you and goodbye.

Why do you keep bringing up the tournament thing? Again, even if there are no rematches within tournaments, that doesn't mean your first match with someone should be the last one. There are always friendly matches and the next tournament. That's not a reason to have no rematches here.

Now I think you just started talking about something completely different that has nothing to do with this. When they say "they were taking their disappointment like mature adults", you're talking about the disappointment of losing a game. I am talking about the disappointment about not being able to try again. And yes, I know you're going to say that you can't try again in a tournament, but you'd be missing the point; there's always the next tournament, and there's also getting another round with a player.

The thing about "taking disappointment as mature adults" is actually irrelevant to this topic. It's like I said earlier: whether I overreact or let it slide doesn't change anything: a rude gesture is a rude gesture. It's like saying there shouldn't be a problem with me punching people in the face, because adults shouldn't cry about pain in the face.

Now, what does my level of understanding of chess as a sport has to do with all of this? What I'm saying applies to any sport.

I bring the competitive chess as a counterexample to your claim that rematches should be played in a sport environment, that there should be a second chance. There are hundreds of players at a club level. The chances that you will play same opponent again are slim. And nobody cares, it's not an issue. Out of my ~100 rated OTB games there were maybe 10 against same opponents, 90 were unique. So if someone is disappointed about not being able to try again nobody will do anything about it. It's normal.

What is a "rude gesture" is not defined by you, it's a question of consensus, and it's clearly on my side regarding declining a rematch.

Your poor level of understanding of chess as a sport plays a major role in your ridiculous claims. You complain about something that's not an issue for a mature chess player.

As far as I know no competitive sport has rematches in the sense "let's try again". I was doing several sports and nowhere you can walk towards your opponent after a loss and ask him to compete again. Whether you will ever compete again is left to chance.

SrWaldo
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:
uri65 escribió:
SrWaldo wrote:

it's disappointing for a lot of people...

OTB means playing in person, right? I have played those, though I don't know if any of them was rated.

I have seen dozens of disappointed players after loss in an official OTB competition. No rematches were offered to them because they are nonexistent. Nobody was trying to do something to comfort them. They were taking there disappointment as mature adults, who understand that the result of the game is their own responsibility.

You were playing OTB but don't know if it was rated? Thank you. That's all we need to know about your level of understanding of chess as a sport. Thank you and goodbye.

Why do you keep bringing up the tournament thing? Again, even if there are no rematches within tournaments, that doesn't mean your first match with someone should be the last one. There are always friendly matches and the next tournament. That's not a reason to have no rematches here.

Now I think you just started talking about something completely different that has nothing to do with this. When they say "they were taking their disappointment like mature adults", you're talking about the disappointment of losing a game. I am talking about the disappointment about not being able to try again. And yes, I know you're going to say that you can't try again in a tournament, but you'd be missing the point; there's always the next tournament, and there's also getting another round with a player.

The thing about "taking disappointment as mature adults" is actually irrelevant to this topic. It's like I said earlier: whether I overreact or let it slide doesn't change anything: a rude gesture is a rude gesture. It's like saying there shouldn't be a problem with me punching people in the face, because adults shouldn't cry about pain in the face.

Now, what does my level of understanding of chess as a sport has to do with all of this? What I'm saying applies to any sport.

I bring the competitive chess as a counterexample to your claim that rematches should be played in a sport environment, that there should be a second chance. There are hundreds of players at a club level. The chances that you will play same opponent again are slim. And nobody cares, it's not an issue. Out of my ~100 rated OTB games there were maybe 10 against same opponents, 90 were unique. So if someone is disappointed about not being able to try again nobody will do anything about it. It's normal.

What is a "rude gesture" is not defined by you, it's a question of consensus, and it's clearly on my side regarding declining a rematch.

Your low level of understanding of chess as a sport plays a major role in your ridiculous claims. You complain about something that's not an issue for a mature chess player.

As far as I know no competitive sport has rematches in the sense "let's try again". I was doing several sports and nowhere you can walk towards your opponent after a loss and ask him to compete again. Whether you will ever compete again is left to chance.

Rematches are good for a sport environment. They're encouraged and enjoyed because they allow you to improve. Trying again is part of the sport spirit. Just because you won't have the possibility to have a rematch within a tournament, that doesn't mean you should reject having a rematch when you do have the chance. If any of those players from the OTB games had asked you for a friendly game after the tournament, would you have rejected it? Would you have told them they have to act like an adult and accept their defeat, why play again? If you genuinely just want your job to be done with the tournament and not play again against anyone unless you're forced by the next tournament, that shows a lack of interest in the game, both competitively and as a hobby.

"What is a 'rude gesture' is not defined by you." I don't know how this comment is relevant. I explained several times the reasons it's rude, and at no point did I say it's because I define it. You should rather explain why you think those reasons are wrong, rather than saying "not just because I say so".
"Your low lever of understanding of chess as a sport plays a major role in your ridiculous claims." This is just a synonymous of the claim I asked about, not an answer to my question. I'll ask again: What does my level of understanding of chess has to do with all of this? Or in other words: What is the major role my low level of understanding of chess as a sport plays in my "ridiculous" claims? (By the way, insulting the claims does nothing to debunk them). As I said, this applies to any sport, so how does it being chess makes it any different. 

"You complain about something that's not an issue for mature chess players" the thing is your level of matureness only determines your reaction towards a gesture. As I already explained twice, whether I over react or let is slide (a mature player would do the latter) doesn't change anything. A rude gesture is a rude gesture. It would be the same if I was complaining about trolling in chat or saying "GG" before the game ends. It's not a problem for mature playes, but that doesn't mean it's not worth to call out.

As far as I know most sports have best of three or best of five in their tournaments. But even if you can't have a rematch within the tournament, as you say, you can walk towards your opponent and ask him to compete again. And yeah, it's not their obligation to play that rematch; but if they have a reason not to play it, like simply being tired or having something to do, in person you can notice or they will probably tell you politely, and will most likely want to play it later. If they straight up don't want to have that rematch because the tournament is over, that's disappointing and shows a lack of interest and competitive spirit. If they ignore you or say "No." and walk away, that's rude.

uri65
SrWaldo wrote:

 

Goodbye.

DawoX7

meaby yes, meaby no

 

crycat

no one must accept a rematch,they can don't do it