Forums

impossible or not

Sort:
vernon

hey i was just wondering if it was impossible to become a GM in one year because my friend was betting that he could be a  GM in one year and i said that it would be impossible because i am trying to be one and i can tell you that its is hard so what do yall say

erik
not possible.
travis1010
Its probably not possible to become a expert (elo 2000) in 1 year. For 99.9% of people anyway.  And it takes much longer to get from 2000 to 2500.
TraglorfBob
What are you saying?! Of course it's possible! Wait a minute—which planet are we talking about :)?
tbirdtird

Lets say you learn chess today, is it possibile to be a Gm in one year from now?  Yes I think it is you only need three norms and the rating which would come with three norms if you've never had a previous rating.   

TraglorfBob
tbirdtird wrote:

Lets say you learn chess today, is it possibile to be a Gm in one year from now?  Yes I think it is you only need three norms and the rating which would come with three norms if you've never had a previous rating.   

Only? I wouldn't call it "only." Sure it's POSSIBLE to become a Grandmaster in 1 year, but with the amount of time you would need to study, you would be severely lacking sleep, and how would you have time for a job to feed yourself? For that matter, how would you have time to FEED yourself! Laughing

vinodagnihotri

I wouldn't say impossible because its not. However, it does not seem feasible to accomplish...  

tbirdtird
Someone with an unlimited photographic memory for example. give this person all the right chess material and I think they could be an untitled Gm in a few weeks if not less, then all they would have to do is play all the rated games.  I've known two people with true photographic memories they can memorize books in sometimes less then a minute.
Etienne
Haven't been done yet, and no one has ever been close to doing it. So unless your friend has one of the deepest intellect we've ever seen and train VERY hard, I doubt it. You got to realise that some talented people spend dozens of years or even a life trying and never achieve it.
tbirdtird

Etienne, that's why chess is so frustrating for me sometimes.  Being an adult, and only learning how to play chess two years ago I get upset when I see a seven year old, who has been playing chess longer then i have (in some cases many years more), get a rating of 2000 or more.  But wait..

This pretend seven year old, has been playing and studying chess for say four year.  So if in another two years I am 2000 rated I will no longer be so upset about all these good kids.

oruam
Show this article to your friend...
Creg

Chess has been used in many a study on the human mind. One study, or actually many, and I'll need to find something to confirm this, is that it takes approximately 10,000 hours of study to become an expert/master at the game of chess, and other areas of life as well. One is not an expert craftsman the day they pick up a hammer?! When you look at the many so called experts of golf, or tennis, and or even chess you will find that each of these professionals spent close to this amount of time before reaching their full potential. Based on this calculation, and that there are only 24 hours in a day, and 365 days in a year, the answer is no, a person could not master the game of chess in just one year. 

alec94x
vernon wrote:

hey i was just wondering if it was impossible to become a GM in one year because my friend was betting that he could be a  GM in one year and i said that it would be impossible because i am trying to be one and i can tell you that its is hard so what do yall say

No sorry not in this universe the only way you automaticly can become GM is if you beat a World Champion or become World Junior Champion in a World Title Match and don't already have a GM title.  To become GM you first have to earn two other titles then to qualify for the GM title you need to have a rating of at least 2500 Fide and then compete and beat a field of very strong Grandmasters in Tournaments for norms  you need 3-4 before they will award you the title. All in 1 year? no way.

Trickster
One year???? NO way! I takes a long time to go to 2000 and even longer to go from 2000 - 2500 . So , its not possible for sure.
tbirdtird

Richard, you've obviously never known a person with a true photographic memory..these people are amazing. A person with a TRUE photograhpic memorie does understand what he/she reads instantly.  Gerenally though these people want nothing to do with their gift-or are otherwise incapable of putting it to the best use(mostly from complications due to physical disabilites).There are those who can memorize quickly and then gain understanding, but that is not a true photograhpic mind.

Etienne
tbirdtird wrote:

Richard, you've obviously never known a person with a true photographic memory..these people are amazing. A person with a TRUE photograhpic memorie does understand what he/she reads instantly.  Gerenally though these people want nothing to do with their gift-or are otherwise incapable of putting it to the best use(mostly from complications due to physical disabilites).There are those who can memorize quickly and then gain understanding, but that is not a true photograhpic mind.

Butthese people will still not become masters (or grandmasters) at any art or sport orcraft,etc. without some experience (they might pick up the experience faster however, due to their faculties). Because all the books in the world won't make you a GM, they will help, but they will never make a GM by themselves.

justice_avocado
dude, i did it
cheapciggies
According to above calc lets say 14 hours a day study 2 hours free time and 8 hours sleep would bring us to 5110 hours of study in one year, the potential to be a very good player is there alright.
Creg
tbirdtird wrote:

There is insufficient scientific proof of photographic memory. It is widely accepted to be a myth. This is not to say that there are no people with incredible memories, or the ability for incredible recall...Kim Peak. Kim of course is a savant, but the studies on him are on going, and he is but 1 out of 6 billion people. For a story that brings this to light please read the following.

http://www.slate.com/id/2140685/ 

lostapiece
i read all those posts i shoulda been lookin for a game, i`m 43 so if i want gm status i`d better get busy....lolTongue out(i`ll be happy to get to play erik! and win of course....