Forums

Interesting Tactic

Sort:
johnsmith1928

so im playing this guy in an online game right now and he has the most peculiar tactic. my position is better and i'm up a piece so he decides to go on vacation. now i wouldn't mind except that he has done that several times during the game already. i almost suspect that he is hoping for me to forget about the game so he wins by default.

has anyone else seen this before?

NimzoRoy

Doesn't chess.com remind you when you're about to lose on time?

woton

There's a fair amount of gamesmanship that goes on.  In online chess, players will drag games out by using the full time control and continually going on vacation.  Sometimes their opponents get frustrated and resign.  In live chess, I've had opponents let their clock run down for 8 or 9 minutes when I'm short on time and have a winning position.  They then make a move when they have less than a minute left, hoping that I will have lost interest.

johnsmith1928

yeah, im starting to understand that. some try to win with other tactics than that on board...

Stinetuck

As frustrating as it is it comes with the terrority, unlike playing in person you cant just flick the pieces youve captured at your opponet till they move if they try crap like this

johnsmith1928
Stinetuck wrote:

As frustrating as it is it comes with the terrority, unlike playing in person you cant just flick the pieces youve captured at your opponet till they move if they try crap like this

speaking of that... im planning to track them down and do exactly that if they wont resign soon =)

tabor

Yes Laughtdamnitlaugh I am right now in a similar boat. . .

I am about to win a game and my opponent takes a 30 day vacation. I like to use 2/3 days per move games, so I think he tries to tire me so that I may forget about the game. . . which I will not. . . Have enough patience to wait (and, else, that opponent comes from a cultured country. . .).

kodeeak

yeah I seen this three times actually

mattyf9

It happens to all of us. I just talk smack to em and call em pathetic as they let the clock wind down. Its really such a lame thing to do. If I make a mistake I'd rather keep playing hoping he or she blunders. If I'm totally lost I'd rather resign and spend that time analyzing my game seeing what mistakes I made. I hope all you losers who actually try doing this are reading this thread. Maybe you'll realize how pathetic you are lol.

AndyClifton
mattyf9 wrote:

I hope all you losers who actually try doing this are reading this thread. Maybe you'll realize how pathetic you are lol.

Yeah sure, that'll work... Laughing

mattyf9

Lol I know andy. If they fail to realize the stupidity of it when they do it then I doubt they ever will.

AndyClifton

What's that, a refrigerator impression?

breakerofwind
laughdamitlaugh wrote:

... i almost suspect that he is hoping for me to forget about the game so he wins by default.

It's his move, right?  How can you default when he's on vacation?  And how can you forget about the game if he does make a move?  The system shows you that it's your move...

mattyf9

I refuse to play online chess with more than 2 days a move

I accidentally accepted a challenge with 14 days a move and the game has been going on for months its so annoying.

azziralc
NimzoRoy wrote:

Doesn't chess.com remind you when you're about to lose on time?

Chess.com always remind if the member is about to lose on time. However, maybe laughdamitlaugh never checked his email. LOL

Stinetuck
laughdamitlaugh wrote:
Stinetuck wrote:

speaking of that... im planning to track them down and do exactly that if they wont resign soon =)

haha, good luck mate, hopefully theyre in Sweden or at least near by xD

tabor

If I could I would eliminate "Vacations" from this sort of chess clubs.

I would allow some sort of, let´s say, "days off"- - - no more than four - - - to do some travel or job that takes you out of home. Of course, I would advice my opponent of that.

As of today, I think, you are allowed 90 days vacations. . . Heck!. . . what is the sense of starting a chess or dominoes game and then "resting" for a couple of months? Can you figure a baseball game with an in between innings of two days? Or a football game with a three hours lunch time?