Forums

is ~1500 ranking on Chess.com good?

Sort:
countmosula

Hello all,

I recently started playing on chess.com and I'm about 50 games in. My ranking is close to 1500. I have never played in live tournaments - only online and I just want to know what my rating indicates... am I an intermediate? advanced? Intermediate going on advanced?

It seems like the vast majority of players I come up against are in the 1300-1400 level. Is this a problem with the matching system or just that there aren't many players playing above 1500?

NimzoRoy

I got this info from your "full stats" page, standard chess ranking. As you can see there are about 36,000 players rated higher than you are. As for the matching system, I'm unable to answer that but if none of the admins weigh in  here you could try asking one of them I suppose.  Around here you're in the 92nd percentile of standard players, making you an "advanced" player since only 8% of the standard players are rated higher than yourself. 

However,  when you look at my standard stats (below yours) you can see I appear to be really advanced, when in fact I'd be lucky to be class-A in USCF because the Glicko rating system used here is very inflated compared to USCF ratings. USCF Class-A players are rated 1800-1999 and I'd be lucky, maybe very lucky to be in the low 1800s in USCF. So don't take this personally, but in my experience here and in USCF you are definitely not an advanced player and quite probably not intermediate, because in USCF you'd be about 1000-1175 which is Class E. But don't get discouraged or disappointed - or hot under the collar, esp not at me! :) for 50 games your rating is respectable IMHO and again, you are in the 92nd percentile - here. And you have lots of room (and time) to improve a lot, so go to it!

Current: 1475
Today's Rank: #37964 of 502,312

Current: 2132
Highest: 2132 (22 Jan 2012)
Avg. Opp.: 2051
Best Win: 2202 (josev)
Today's Rank: #2347 of 246,124 (99%)
Total Games: 68
Won: 46 (68%)
Lost: 9 (13%)
Drawn: 13 (19%)
Kens_Mom
Nim's right. I still consider myself a beginner with my rating. Chess.com ratings give you false hope :(
Monoceros
[COMMENT DELETED]
cc3000

I think they count every single player who have play a game here in that stats so it is total useless info, what they should do is to filter out non active players like Fics do.

What I can recommend you to do is to test Fics and see if you can reach top 50%.

claudiuo

i don't think ALL the ratings are inflated. i personally know a fide 1800 elo rated player that can't pass 1700 rating here on chess.com. Main reasons are :

1. most games over 5 minutes are subject to cheating.

2.blitz  is not his strong point.

So i guess the answer to you question would be : "it depends". There are a lot of users that do not play fair , internet is not an area that could be taken as measure for the strenght of the player.

Want to know how good you are , go out there and play at a serious level. Here is just fun.

Kens_Mom
clocky wrote:
most games over 5 minutes are subject to cheating.

I'm aware that cheating does happen on chess.com, but to say that most games over 5 mins are subject to cheating is a huge overexaggeration.  While I agree that your chess.com rating is not necessarily the best thing to look at to assess your actual playing strength, I don't think cheating contributes to this issue as much as you are implying.

countmosula

I pretty much stick to 15 minute live games...but it does feel good to be in the 92% percentile :P

sajay

:)

vas93

I think personally that rating no matter)), just play and enjoy! Laughing

waffllemaster

To casual players, you're likely nearly unbeatable.

To top players, 2400 isn't even worth mentioning.

It's all relative to who you're playing :)  And although you've probably improved a ton since learning the rules, NimzoRoy's right about you still having room to improve from here.

Shivsky
waffllemaster wrote:

To casual players, you're likely nearly unbeatable.

To top players, 2400 isn't even worth mentioning.

It's all relative to who you're playing :)  And although you've probably improved a ton since learning the rules, NimzoRoy's right about you still having room to improve from here.

+1.

All relative. Who/Where do you want to pick a fight with/in? The ol' timers at the local clubs, the local weekend tournament, national level competition or just get your warm fuzzies with blitz wins online?

Conflagration_Planet

There's a guy on here rated 1084 USCF. His rating differs between about 1450 to around 1550 on here.

jesterville

LOL...my current rating is 1717, with my top rating acheived of 1830...and I'm still hanging pieces.

I've only been playing seriously since I joined this site, so I know I'm really only a beginner...no matter what my rating says.

Yes, the rating here is inflated, and yes...lots of cheating is taking place. My focus is only to improve, so I don't pay attention to my rating...it's a worthless statistic.

claudiuo

Let's not mix things. There is Live Chess rating and also Turned Based rating. The author of this thread was reffering to Live Chess where time is of the essence. I think TB chess has the most inflated scores. I can easily beat a 2000 TB Chess player in a 5 minutes Live Chess. I might say that TB chess ratings are with 300-400 points over  Live chess ratings.

Tipolento

I'm sorry, because this question may sound stupid, but... what do you mean by "cheating"? I mean... how cheats who cheats?

Another stupid question: what's the meaning of the so used "gg"? Thanks!

Berder

Turn-based chess here does seem overrated... I look at people with high turn based ratings and their live ratings are much lower.

kjetiljs

@Tipolento: Good game.

Scottrf
NimzoRoy wrote:

I got this info from your "full stats" page, standard chess ranking. As you can see there are about 36,000 players rated higher than you are. As for the matching system, I'm unable to answer that but if none of the admins weigh in  here you could try asking one of them I suppose.  Around here you're in the 92nd percentile of standard players, making you an "advanced" player since only 8% of the standard players are rated higher than yourself. 

However,  when you look at my standard stats (below yours) you can see I appear to be really advanced, when in fact I'd be lucky to be class-A in USCF because the Glicko rating system used here is very inflated compared to USCF ratings. 

If you are using his percentile here to assess his ability you can't then use that to make the argument that his rating here is inflated based on a rating system in USFC. It has to be compared like for like.

Tipolento

Thanks very much