Forums

Is chess good for the mind or does it lead to insanity?

Sort:
AdoIf
TheGrobe wrote:

A hipster? Really? I usually tell by checking for tight jeans, skinny ties and ironic mustaches. I'll add this to the list.

I am not saying all playing chess are a hipster. Just people claiming chess is some godlike intellectual stimulant. 

I can scratch my *** and watch Jersey Shore while playing chess? Would that make me brilliant? Nope. Chess does not make you smarter, it is just a game.

johnmusacha

Hey!  I recognize that car!

AndyClifton

Hey, I recognize that ass-scratching!

Ironknight777
netzach

Seen it before repeatitist!

Got any new-stuff metal-knight?

bronsteinitz

AdoIf wrote:

Chess is just a game, anyone telling you otherwise is a hipster or an elitist. It is not any different from COD.

I play because it does not cost $60 and $15 a month in Xbox live fees, plus it is a somewhat universal game though I like risk better because I feel more power in it.

Bronsteinitz: For sure, chess is just a game. But the game can take posession of somebody's mind and devour his life.

Ruby-Fischer

It's one of those chicken or egg questions :)

Spy_Bro

Smile

TheGrobe

I'd like both please.

rupert2112
Ruby-Fischer wrote:

It's one of those chicken or egg questions :)

I like em best pan fried.  

Aletool

Bronsteinitz: For sure, chess is just a game. But the game can take posession of somebody's mind and devour his life.

I'm scared now, need to call an exorcist?

bronsteinitz

@Aletool : there is a simple test. Just go on chess.com and lose 5 rated games in a row while smiling. If you can, there is no need to call anybody  

TheGrobe

Expert opinion here.

ITISMYMOVE

Thanks again for all your postsSmile.My own theory is too much stress/pressure is unhealthy so like otherthings if possible,timeout is sometimes needed...and then in my case return to multiple games!!

nameno1had

I personally think I would go insane without chess, not just because I like it so much, but it gives me something to put my mind into, that allows me a reprieve from the things in life that would truly make me go insane. Most things in life don't offer enough intellectual stimulation for me, that I don't get bored with too quickly. I find without something to put myself into, aside from the things that tend to take the joy out of life that I don't want to think about, I could still go nuts out of sheer bordem without it.

DrFrank124c

I've played chess all my life--if I weren't crazy already, I'd go insane!

Annabella1

I think its BOTH.....great for the mind but  it can also lead to insanity... I get cookoo sometimes when I make the wrong moves....hahahahahaaha

Aletool

Master_Kann

Chess is good for the mind, no doubt about it.

gaereagdag
Master_Kann wrote:

Chess is good for the mind, no doubt about it.

Master Kann, you will have to remain in this mental asylum under constant supervision. Your last remark is..disturbing. You are clearly out of touch with normal reality. Chess is 'good' for the mind? Mein Got. You are a most curious specimen of fragmented, warped and distorted superego.