Forums

Is chess more enjoyable as you get better?

Sort:
Dr_Cris_Angel

It probably does get more fun as your rating gets higher. Dang. No wonder I'm not having any fun. ;/

That said, I do have fun sometimes when I lose. If I feel I played strong or did my best, then I had fun. But I agree with the post regarding realizing a move is poor the instant after you make it. That is one of the most frustrating aspects. And that is not fun.

I also agree with the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!

chessbond001

IMHO,  as you get your rating higher, you develop much better understanding of chess. this understaning of chess helps one to appreciate chess even more which makes the chess fun.

royalbishop
chessbond001 wrote:

IMHO,  as you get your rating higher, you develop much better understanding of chess. this understaning of chess helps one to appreciate chess even more which makes the chess fun.

Anybody can increase their rating with patience. Find the info and understanding it. Then you need experience to win consistantly.

It is like making and Apple Pie. You do not just us apples alone. It takes making it a couple times before you are comfortable cooking one for somebody else. Then when you cook it consistantly good you can sell them or cook at family cook out. People will even ask you to make them out the blue.

Like an Apple Pie. You may enjoy making it but when you know what to do you do not want to make silly mistakes and they happen. They may not seem silly to others but you know you should do better as you are better than that which takes some of the fun out it that you had a beginer as you had almost no clue what you were doing correctly to get good results.

chessbond001
royalbishop wrote:
chessbond001 wrote:

IMHO,  as you get your rating higher, you develop much better understanding of chess. this understaning of chess helps one to appreciate chess even more which makes the chess fun.

Anybody can increase their rating with patience. Find the info and understanding it. Then you need experience to win consistantly.

It is like making and Apple Pie. You do not just us apples alone. It takes making it a couple times before you are comfortable cooking one for somebody else. Then when you cook it consistantly good you can sell them or cook at family cook out. People will even ask you to make them out the blue.

Like an Apple Pie. You may enjoy making it but when you know what to do you do not want to make silly mistakes and they happen. They may not seem silly to others but you know you should do better as you are better than that which takes some of the fun out it that you had a beginer as you had almost no clue what you were doing correctly to get good results.

well considering your apple pie example. you are right upto a certain extend. however, that apple pie cook can try to introduce new methods of making apple pie or he/she can  experiment with his ideas.

in other words(or in terms of chess), if a person had mastered chess then he/she would definetely not like to make silly mistakes, he/she can try and find some new systems of playing chess or discovering a novelty and working on it which would surely make chess fun for him/her.