Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
Elubas

"Experts in a given field simply know how to reduce their risk while maximizing their chance of creating lucrative opportunities."

Really, this is spot on. And I think maybe we don't always like to think of it that way. We like to think there is just some sort of perfection that experts acquire. It's really just very cleverly reduced risk. Even I like to think certain kinds of blunders are just beyond me -- like I'm "too good" to ever miss mate in 1. Well I recently missed a pretty nasty mate in 1 in a blitz game. And it is a possibility, however minute, to do so in a long time control game. You can't prepare for everything.

TheAuthority

Elubas wrote:

mdinnerspace wrote:

An absurdity can not happen.

Elephants can not fly now, nor ever.

That is what is true.

Based on what we know now, elephants can not fly. Based on what we know now.

----

Now and here. What about on the moon? Could an elephant fly on the moon with a much lower gravitational pull? I suspect it may be able, but I am no physicist.

mdinnerspace

This guy is hopeless.

'Well, what about on the moon?"

What about it? Who mentioned it?

You forgot the 1097th multiverse.

Read Rudy Rucker before discussing possibilities. He'll open your mind.

mdinnerspace

An elephant will never fly on planet earth.

North America

New York City

Manhatten Blvd nor below in the subway.

Never

If an alien spaceship blows the island sky high,

and an elephant is observed above,

it is not flying, merely a victim of a transportation device.

DjonniDerevnja

The elephant flies

between Martian moons

blowing tunes with his snable

as Miles Davis did

so nice is the sound

that the angels laughs

loud and strong

2700 strong

mdinnerspace

DjonniDerevnja wrote:

The elephant flies

between Martian moons

as Miles Davis did

so nice is the sound

that the angels laugh

Brilliant!

The topic has once again presented us with a lasting memory of a members creative imagination.

Thanks. Enjoyed the tidbit.

DjonniDerevnja
mdinnerspace wrote:

DjonniDerevnja wrote:

The elephant flies

between Martian moons

as Miles Davis did

so nice is the sound

that the angels laugh

Brilliant!

The topic has once again presented us with a lasting memory of a members creative imagination.

Thanks. Enjoyed the tidbit.

Thanks a lot for nice words :)

TheAuthority

mdinnerspace wrote:

This guy is hopeless.

'Well, what about on the moon?"

What about it? Who mentioned it?

You forgot the 1097th multiverse.

Read Rudy Rucker before discussing possibilities. He'll open your mind.

----

Hopeless? On the contrary. Rudy Rucker is alright. Richard Alpert or Alan Watts are more my speed. My mind is open enough, I think.

TheAuthority

mdinnerspace wrote:

An absurdity can not happen

----

Talk about closed minded....

blitzcrige

Get this message Off the site it's  been going for the last 3 months!

KairavJoshi

Can someone who has never played chess before possibly beat a sitting world chess champion?

GodsPawn2016
GeniusKJ wrote:

Can someone who has never played chess before possibly beat a sitting world chess champion?

Its at 257 pages, that in itself is sadly amazing.

Elubas

Probably. Kind of like the infinite monkeys typing Shakespeare, a monkey who didn't know what chess was could beat a super GM. It would just have to be so that all of the monkey's movements just so happened to result in legal moves being made and they just so happened to be moves good enough to win. Though that kind of likelihood would probably get into googolplex territory (or maybe not, googolplex is a pretty big number!). Usually the monkey would just knock down the pieces instead and get disqualified.

yureesystem

Elubas wrote: Though that kind of likelihood would probably get into googleplex territory (or maybe not, googleplex is a pretty big number!)

lol That puts a smile to my face. Smile The answer is NEVER! 1300 is not even capable beating a 1800 elo, so why does this op think it can beat 2700 elo GM. This thread should never went beyond page 1, its ridiculous. Elubas, you made your point very clear, lets hope the rest of players get it!

mdinnerspace

Yuree!

I can see you're a newbie!

Elubas since the start takes the position it's possible for the 1300. It was a tongue in cheek reference . Anything is possible, the side .which he vehemently supports.

Elubas

Basically, I think that what is not impossible is possible. A controversial position, somehow.

mdinnerspace

But you claim nothing is impossible.

mdinnerspace

Therefor, my logic tells me, you think anything is possible.

Elubas

Depends on the premises you provide for me. If you want to assume that our body of knowledge will remain exactly the same, then, it is impossible for elephants to fly.

KairavJoshi
GodsPawn2016 wrote:
GeniusKJ wrote:

Its at 257 pages, that in itself is sadly amazing.

I won't be surprised if this forum outlives my grandchildren... and I don't even have any yet.