Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

• 14 hours ago · Quote · #4921

Elubas

Well I might argue quite the opposite, mdinnerspace, with how to interpret the fact that I might make a "synopsis" of your view. Isn't that kind of charitable? I could just say, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but instead I am trying to take what you say, which isn't always clear to me, and trying to put it into my own words, so that I can attempt to respond to what you're saying. That I might not know exactly what you're saying wouldn't be unique to me -- lots of us on this thread have been trying to figure out what you mean, but you often don't make it very clear. At least I am trying to figure out what you mean. And surely, you don't always seem to respond to my points, either. So the miscommunications are far from one-sided.

So you say (again, me attempting to form what you said into some coherent idea) that sometimes, what the numbers suggest, isn't exactly what reality is. And you mention it has something to do with large numbers. Well, that's why I was talking about "slim chances" like 1 in 1000: it seems like you don't complain about the use of math when it's for "normal" chances like the odds of rolling a 5 on a six sided die, or getting two heads in a row. You seem to have a problem with extending this very far out, presumably because the probabilities get so low that they are impractical. So it often seems like you're arguing that when the math predicts odds that are "low enough," they somehow cease to exist anymore.

You keep saying that other factors are in play when it comes to a one time event. Would you mind listing some of those, if you want people to understand what you're talking about?

• 9 hours ago · Quote · #4922

arcaneterrain

As I noted before, there was a 1441 victory over a 2251 in 2011.  The 1441 won the tourny 4-0 with 2 wins over Class As, a win over an Expert, and a win over a Master.

• 7 hours ago · Quote · #4923

mdinnerspace

Elubas wrote:

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but instead I am trying to take what you say, which isn't always clear to me, and trying to put it into my own words, so that I can attempt to respond to what you're saying.

Exactly what I pointed out Elubas. If other people want a further explanation, they can ask me, we don't need you to explain your interpretation of my ideas to them. You don't understand what I'm saying anyway. What in the heck are you doing making guesses? You then proceed with your "superior" reasoning. You don't get my views. I get that. Please refrain from constantly repeating how you think I'm ignorant. I do not partake in childish name calling. You should not either. I read a scathing post by a member in your blog about determinism. It seems this behavior has been a constant over the years. Maybe one day you'll get the message that referring to people's views as pathetic, ignorant, proclaiming your views are right, they are wrong deserves no respect.

• 7 hours ago · Quote · #4924

mdinnerspace

Elubas wrote:

You keep saying that other factors are in play when it comes to a one time event. Would you mind listing some of those, if you want people to understand what you're talking about?

I have written of my views more than several times. I will not dignify your accusation by repeating them.

Again, you state "factors in play when it comes to a one time event" when in fact I wrote of factors as they relate over a period of time, Not a one time event in time. You completely turned my statement around, leading me to believe everything I say gets rejected before you glance it over.

Post your reply: