Forums

Is there any chance that a 1300 rated player can beat a 2700 rated player?

Sort:
SelmerSaxMan

I would be interested in asking Daniel Rensch about the tournament personally, I don't know about you, but anyone who loses to Daniel Rensch must be pretty drunk! (jk)

MickinMD

You can only win with a blunder. A 2700 player has such a great long-term memory understanding of patterns, positions, strategies, tactics, etc. that we, the club-level players, can't expect to compete.

I have relatives who are not highly educated who think that I, a chemist who completed graduate school at IIT, should have been a company CEO or have won a Nobel Prize because I amaze them by how well I understand finances, the stock market, and how quickly I call out the answers while we're watching "Jeopardy," etc.

But I know so many scientists that are brighter than me or understand business better than me because I'm at a high enough level to understand how truly amazing they are.

I think it's the same with chess. I certainly don't have the expertise to say why Fischer may have been better than Kasparov or vice-versa, so I can't say exactly why we club-level players don't have a chance against GMs.  But having seen GM's win all the games in simultaneous matches, I know it seems to be true!

Coolchess223

Yes 4 move mate

troygoodlow

hi you guy im look some to go gues me in chess

Shalarian

I didn't read the whole thread, but can I beat Bolt in the 100m?  Sure, assuming he trips out of the blocks and injures something, pulls a hamstring after 20 yards and falls down in pain, etc.

In other words it is possible, but highly improbable and I mean  HIGHLY HIGHLY ....

tondeaf

finally someone asks this important question

gspaulsson
Morphysrevenges wrote:

... Yes, there is a statistical probability (albeit small) that a 1300 would eventually beat a 2700 rate player. Yes, play enough games and it will eventually happen."

Maybe a 1300 player who played enough games would become a 2700 player.

Another point: on chess.com everyone starts at 1200 I believe, so a player with a  1300 rating could be a ringer who just signed up.  

I once beat a 2300 player by blundering a queen. It was blitz, and he was so taken aback that before he figured out it that it wasn't some brilliant sac, his clock ran out. He wouldn't have hesitated if he'd known how pathetic I was. 

chessninja22

It's possible, but this would require some deep anesthesia to be given to the 2700 player. 

VivaswanChess

Why not? This world(which includes chess too) is full of possibilities.😅

Yoginpatel
Of course it will be hard but it is possible
DanCruzNYC

Its not possible for a 1300 player to play well enough to outplay a 2700 player ever in this universe. Although it is possible that a 2700 player could over look a serious threat and blunder into a lost position against anyone.

Tetra_Wolf

0.0000000... googleplexianth more zeros... 00000000000001 %

amiakr8

In the unlikely event that the game would be drawish, the 2700 player might not want the draw and take a risk to go for the win..But according to quantum theory, if you can assign a non-zero probability to an event, eventually it will happen.

blitzcrige

I have done it several  times in my Dreams

EndgameEnthusiast2357
PowerofHope wrote:

Maybe if the 2700 player loses his queen with no compensation.

I can beat my stockfish 9 at maximum strength with a queen handicap EASILY, and I'm only 1500. Although there's a difference between losing a queen for like a knight and pawn, and losing a WHOLE queen for nothing.

chessicorn1375

@blitzcrige LOL SAME XD

DjonniDerevnja

If I ever become 2700 (but it wont happen, my ultimate goal , which I dont believe in is CM at the age of 93) I will lose to 1300s if I am extremely tired. I really  fubction way below when very tired  This week I had a bad loosing streak in blitz , falling asleep between moves, and waking up desoriented in timetrouble.

There are stories about superstrong players  playing belpw topquality because of jetlag and tiredness.

GoPikachu

i've beaten a 2100 grin.png

DjonniDerevnja
PowerofHope wrote:

Maybe if the 2700 player loses his queen with no compensation.

I have seen a 2700 lose to a unrated child in simultan, of course simultan doesnt count, but the way he lost was interesteing. GM Hammer (was at that time at his peak, maybe 2702 if I remember correctly) was up in material and attacking, but Timur Gusarov had compensation. He had beautiful lines and diagonals and his pieces was coordinated superb. Timur did strike back with a smooth mate-attack. Of course Hammer would have defended it with some profilactic moves if it had been a one to one game in long timecontrol, but the stunning beauty of of Timurs game was fascinating.

I often compete with small children in otb tournaments, and I often feel power, calculating skills and positional play on a very strong level. Amelia Nordquelle I met when she was ca 1300 and 8 or 9 years old. Now she is 10 years , Nordic champion for girls 13, and brutally underrated at 1655. Her brother Daniel reached FM last week, an Amelia is considered even more talented, with a winninghead like Magnus. When she was 1300 she had some games with bad desicions, and some very good games that could take out superstrong players. I guess her calculating power was alreay back then on GM-level . She calculated really deep, in a presice way, but did lack some experience.

ScootaChess

A drunk gm could easily slip up in a literally won position.