Forums

just a Game . Not a War .. Do you agree ? and why ??

Sort:
e4nf3
bigpoison wrote:

I insist because you don't appear to know what you're talking about.  Only about 12% of Americans registered for selective service between the years of '60 and '75 actually served.

I do know what I'm talking about. I lived through it. I'm in touch with Navy, Marine, Air Force, Army buddies all over the country. Guys who I grew up with. Guys who I served with.

Here...the draft, as I knew it, ended in 1973: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_the_United_States

zborg
snakesbelly wrote:

Chess is a game...you want a war? Read the chess forums!

The Fuhrer of Annoyance

Nailed it, @Snakes.  Thanks for the big picture.  Laughing

bigpoison

Unlike you, I've never worked a government job.

" You are acting like I'm pulling my views out of my butt. Instead, I'm telling you...you have your head stuck up yours."

That was a good one!  I'm still laughin'.  Thanks, buddy.

bigpoison

Interestingly, that fact can be derived from the very wikipedia article donald used to footnote his own imaginary claims.

e4nf3

You are both fools.

I'll have nothing further to do with either of you

bigpoison

Stand aside:  the noise they make

Will cause Demetrius to awake

e4nf3

The ultimate answer to the OP question of:

just a Game . Not a War .. Do you agree ? and why ??

Chess is a fun game of war.

Why, you ask? Because there are no sharp blades or bullets.

And...sissy boys, per above, who never served in the armed forces can vicariously feel manly. (lol)

ChessSponge

I personally believe it is an insult to those who have fought and those who have died in war to call anything that isn't war a war.

I also hate whenever commentaries refer to an athlete or a competitor in any event as a "warrior". Playing a sport or game for a couple of hours does not make you a warrior. Having a tough competition with someone does not make it a war.

Chess is simply a game.

e4nf3

Give 'em Hell, Harry.

Here_Is_Plenty

But are you any good at Call of Duty?

cabadenwurt

Yes I'm with ChessSponge on this one too. Back on Page 4 of this thread I laid out some basic info on what some people are pleased to call Wargames, with the emphasis being on the word GAMES. To be clear in regards to this idea I must state that games and sports should never be compared to real Wars where people are shooting at each other, any thinking person should be able to understand that.

e4nf3

Well, some people who go around telling others that they are stupid and, yet they themselves are genuine BOORS...look it up...can claim all sorts of stuff about doctorate degrees and other such fluff...yet confirm what an utter low-life they are, not only by their words...but even more especially by their asinine avatar. A "doctor" would do that? Hardly! (lol)

e4nf3

It is not only self-evident but unanimous then, that we are dealing with a scoundrel.

And, a "doctor" yet, who laughs at the prospect of inflicting misery upon a kindly, old man. (lol)

e4nf3

The silence is deafening.

The conclusion is that chess is fun. Let us not forget, though, chess is also pain...when you lose. If anyone doesn't think so, well that is their prerogative. Although such a concept is unimaginable to me. I feel it when I lose. I can see it in the face of everyone I've played in person when they lose (even when they try to hide it...it's in their eyes and body language).

Though, if there were no "down side" (potential of losing) where would be the "fun" on the upside (winning)?

And this notion that war is an awful, dreadful thing... I am in 100% agreement. I wish there would never be a real war. But, we are humans with just a thin veneer of civilization layered on top of our long history of battle.

Maybe someday there won't be any wars. But, I hope, in that possible "someday" it won't be because we are no longer free but are serfs to a world government that has us all in drone-like bondage.

Meanwhile...we can play the game of war: chess. We can experience the exhilaration of victory and the agony of defeat, without harming anyone (except, tempoarily, their or our precious ego).

But both victory and defeat in chess...here, from Rudyard Kipling...one of my favorite pieces of prose, known as "If":

"If you can meet with triumph and disaster

and treat those two imposters just the same..."

This doesn't apply, IMO, to real, blood-shed wars. But it does in the trials and tribulations of life (or so I have found) and it certainly does in the "war game" that we all here enjoy.

Happy chess play to one and all!

e4nf3

Here's the complete "If"...I've had it on my desk, in a picture frame, probably for about 40 years. I don't read it daily. But, when I'm feeling "down", I do. It always "picks me up":

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son! 

Rudyard Kipling
zborg

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  (Author Unknown)

This thread is a one wild and woolly chase around the schoolyard.  Laughing

netzach

It's bonkers ! More soccer needed... Smile

transpo

Depending on your perspective.

Chess is siege warfare in the form of a game.  It is also 3-dimensional (forward-back,left-right, and time)---- as opposed to the 4-dimensional (can't forget about time) universe we live in----physics for children as well as for all minds.

My theory is the following:

1. The diagonals are the wave.

2. The ranks and files are the 3-dimensional particle universe.

But, an objection would be:  What about the Ns, they hop over their own as well as the opponent's pawns and pieces.  You have to remember the N's legal move, and configure and process it as follows: Forward 1 square then diagonally (thru the wave) left or right.  See, no hopping into an up- down dimension.

If you would like to know more please let me know.  

transpo
joeydvivre wrote:

What if we want to know less?

That is your prerogative.  I adhere to the following principle:  Grant me the senerity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Good luck to you joeydvivre. Live a happy and prosperous life.   

Metastable

I've been waiting forever to see if my queen will undergo a spontanous decay into a rook and a bishop. So far no luck. Should I be hitting it with higher energy photons?