Forums

Knocking your King down when resigning

Sort:
aljay007

I have never needed to resign before so i wouldnt know, I always win ;)

achonite

Whenever I resign, i just tip over the king.  I don't do it roughly or gently, I just tip it over.

Ben_Dubuque

depends on the position

lol could say that about anything in chess.

but I generally am nice when I do it, I just lay the king down gently and offer a handshake, oh and pfren, lmao Kg0

wiimac

I've never resigned in an OTB game as a great man said, "Nobody ever won a chess game by resigning."

champ_weller
wiimac wrote:

I've never resigned in an OTB game as a great man said, "Nobody ever won a chess game by resigning."

that makes no sense lol

helltank

Nobody ever won a chess game by shuffling his king around as two rooks fly up the board to checkmate him either. 

champ_weller
helltank wrote:

Nobody ever won a chess game by shuffling his king around as two rooks fly up the board to checkmate him either. 

my point exactly

Namssob
joeydvivre wrote:

I don't understand that "I never resign" stuff.  Down somewhere just north of two pawns with no compensation, I resign.  I hate playing out losing positions and I think it is reasonably disrespectful of your opponent. 

I'm barely qualified to comment, but haven't you ever resigned then later noticed a move that could have helped you win?  I did this just last week, noticing a possible winning move after I resigned. It made me mad, and taught me to be more certain before resigning.  Being down 2 pawns, even at the grandmaster level, is hardly a reason to resign considering humans make mistakes.

shepi13

A master told me he resigned from a stalemate once Laughing

Ferric

In tournaments never resign until you want to .

In practice its two thoughts you play and then blunder you keep playing the other person will blunder too.

Or you never learn to fight if you always give up when you blunder.  So its part of the game so if you do not want to sit through the learning process of the other's then using a clock might keep things in order.

shepi13

Dandy55

@shepi13:

Actually, it's you who blundered on move 16 - you should play zwischenzug 16...Qf4+ with additional attack on e4 instead of taking the rook on d1 - and then you would have a forced win of a 2 pieces for a rook after 17.Nd2 Rxd2 18. Qxd2 Qxd2 19.Rxd2 Bxe4 which should be enough for a winning endgame

shepi13

Actually Qf4+ leaves the game in question (although I'm definately better) while Rxd1+ gains a nice attack, and I have several promising continuations, most of which look to win.

shepi13

Oops, Nd5 fails to Qxb7. Bd5 was the interesting move.

shepi13

I just checked my engine and it agrees with my analysis, at least on the first move.

(16.Be4 Rybka 2.3.2a mp 32-bit  -3.92 (depth 14)  Rxd1+ 17.Kxd1 Nxe4 18.Nxe4 Rd8+ 19.Nfd2 Bxe4 20.Qxe4 Bg5 21.Kc1 Rxd2 22.Kb1 Rxf2 23.Qa8+)

(16.Be4 -3.92 (depth 14)  Nxe4 17.Nxe4 Rxd1+ 18.Kxd1 Rd8+ 19.Nfd2 Bxe4 20.Qxe4 Bg5 21.Kc1 Rxd2 22.Kb1 Rxf2 23.Qa8+)

(16.Be4 -2.03 (depth 14)  Qf4+ 17.Nd2 Rxd2 18.Qxd2 Qxd2+ 19.Rxd2 Nxe4 20.Nxe4 Bxe4 21.f4 Bd5 22.Re1 Rd8 23.a3)

(16.Be4 -1.01 (depth 13)  b4 17.Bxb7 Qxb7 18.Rxd8+ Rxd8 19.Ne2 a5 20.Ned4 Bc5 21.Nb3 Bb6 22.Qe2 a4)

shepi13

Yeah, Rxd1 definately wins a piece at least - I think there are even stronger continuations then the one I gave after it though. However, my opponent didn't even realize he could play Kxd1 that's what was funny.

DKof

In a spirited final match to determine the winner of a small "for fun" tournament in which the only stakes were possibly winning back your small entry fee and bragging rights, I bested my opponent who responded by standing up and swiping at his King with a force sufficient to send it somersaulting down the table.  Upon realizing what he had done, he quickly recovered the King and gently placed it on the board, appearing slightly embarrassed by his exuberance.  His reaction made my day as I was then sure he had put everything he had into that game.  The  "take a step back" reaction of the peanut gallery was also a hoot.

madhacker
shepi13 wrote:

A master told me he resigned from a stalemate once 

Laughing Don't worry, I've resigned after my opponent's flag had fallen

achonite

@snakesbelly: this made my day.  thank you for making me laugh.

madhacker
chrisr2212 wrote:

i hope you had the chance to recover and say you were just joking

Nope. Shook hands and recorded the result. Then I noticed it.