Forums

Logic Behind Glicko Rating System ...

Sort:
Kikyo_Sushi

Can Some One Plz explain why there is/need to be such a Vast Difference in our Initial  Increament/Decreament in Rating Points ( after our Initial 1200 Rating ) as compared with the later ones after we hv played a certain number of games ?

( hundreds of points ,initially compared with 1-30 or so points ,later )

I hv read abt the Rating Deviation Factor( RD ),etc ( Glicko Rating System Article ) but I don't quite get the Co-relation between them.

I've seen some people Win juz a few games consecutively,after their initial 1200 Score ,then their Rating will shoot up to maybe 2000 or so and those that keep loosing will end up with maybe < 1000  ..

and then their Rating will stay around there if they don't play a lot of games after that or if they only play with Opponents of almost similiar Ratings .

Will there be any lasting effect on his Rating if the Player is actually a  Not So Good Player but he happened to play  against a few High Rated Players who weren't playing well at that time n' he Won or Vice Versa ?

Juz Wondering ,

Tnx.

ironic_begar

When you first start playing the rating system has no information on how good you are (reflected by a high RD). It adjusts you rating by large ammounts to account for that lack of knowledge. If you're a master, it wants to get your rating up to where it should be quickly. Once it gets enough information about how good you are (reflected by a lower RD), it slows down how fast your rating is changing, so it remains reasonably stable.

Now, if you get a high rating, and don't play a lot of games after that, your RD will go back up. Then when you start playing again, it will change rapidly again.

The rating doesn't really have a good "memory." If you get lucky against a few high rated players, eventually the effect of that will go away.

Kikyo_Sushi

So the Aim of the Initial large Rating Adjustment is to get a Good or Master Player's Rating up as fast as possible n' similarly,a Poor Player's  or Beginner's Rating down asap too .

Yeah,if a Player gets lucky or unlucky against a few High or Low Rated Players,s/he will hv to play lots more games to annul the effect.

Will there be any long -term effect if s/he limits her/his Opponent's to within a Certain Rating Category ? .. I guess not,coz they wld all hv their own RD's too.

Tnx ironic_begar !

silverhawkz

It is the rule to follow!

Daws74

@Shadowknight: That scenario shouldn't happen with the Glicko system.  The RD should go up if a player is inactive and then the rating adjustment will be more rapid.

Sred
UrzaPW wrote:
Daws74 wrote:

@Shadowknight: That scenario shouldn't happen with the Glicko system.  The RD should go up if a player is inactive and then the rating adjustment will be more rapid.

Inactive....what does exactly inactive means?

Imagine I am not playing any online game and my glicko is 30. In a month, without playing at all, I take a look and it is 60 (those are not correct values, maybe in a month it increases more or less, don't know)

Now, imagine I am not playing any online game and my glicko is 30, but I do start an online game. We play slowly, and within a month, we haven't finished it yet. Is it my glicko 60 even though I have been playing for a month (but since we haven't finished yet and hence the glicko goes up), or in that time the ongoing game made glicko stop?

The more general question would be:

Does the glicko rating change while you have online ongoing games if it takes long to finish them (and act as inactivity)??

99% sure that concerning Glicko RD changes it doesn't matter if you play online games without finishing them or if you don't play at all.

Daws74

Further reading for those that want to understand the details:

http://www.chess.com/article/view/chess-ratings---how-they-work

There are even more detailed links in that article.