Forums

Magnus Carlsen - "the Mozart of Chess"

Sort:
Scala

Kingpatzer

Live ratings aren't official.  Though likely he will, it would take a rather spectacular collapse at this point to stop it from happening. 

Scala

I´m a huge fan of Kasparov but I think Carlsen is much better. For me, Carlsen is the best player of all time...

I also think that Kasparov retired because he predict the rise of Carlsen and he had afraid of playing with him and lose his career glory because many people see kasparov has the best, someone almost invincible just beaten by the  Machines

Kingpatzer

Records are made to be broken. Someday someone will dominate at the top more than Fischer did too, if we play the game long enough. 

Kingpatzer

While only Kasparov knows for sure why he retired, it is hard to argue that he recognized that his own abilities where decreasing, while his immediate competitors (Kramnik and Anand) where still going strong. And the reality of a new crop of geniuses was developing in the wings surely had to be something he was aware of. 

Scala

I don't think Kasparov considered that is own abilities where decreasing when he retired.

What he found was someone stronger than him and with a lot potential to "grow up" is chess power.

That person was Carlsen... Kasparov is a Human, Carlsen is a Alien... 

Scala

But I think that I made my point...

What I would like to see was a match between kasparov versus carlson in the near future...

It was better than Carlsen versus Fritz or Houdine or another chess engine...Don't you like to see it?

ElKitch

Thanks for posting!!

trysts

From my understanding, Carlsen can only be understood by chess engines and a handful of grandmasters in the world, so it makes me wonder what Carlsen represents to fans? Do they just want a younger player to beat the older players? Is there something else?

Radical_Drift
trysts wrote:

From my understanding, Carlsen can only be understood by chess engines and a handful of grandmasters in the world, so it makes me wonder what Carlsen represents to fans? Do they just want a younger player to beat the older players? Is there something else?

He provides fans with the luxury of watching greatness unfold. The fact that he's so young makes fans happy because fans can watch his rise to prominence for several years. Being only 22, he's sure to dominate for a long time. Go Carlsen! :)

Paulerdos

Does anyone know if Carlsen is playing to fight for the world championship title this year? I googled it, but couldn't find any information on it. 

Also, I'm quite convinced that Kasparov cut open Carlsen's head when he was "coaching" him and implanted a very powerful engine. Its only a matter of time before Carlsen reveals it to the world. ... unless he doesn't know it himself. Dun! Dun! Du-unnn!

trysts
Paulerdos wrote:

Does anyone know if Carlsen is playing to fight for the world championship title this year? I googled it, but couldn't find any information on it. 

I don't know if he's definitely going to play, but he didn't announce that he wasn't going to play, from what I can find. He's the number two seeded player in the candidates tournament:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013

jambyvedar
Scala wrote:

I´m a huge fan of Kasparov but I think Carlsen is much better. For me, Carlsen is the best player of all time...

I also think that Kasparov retired because he predict the rise of Carlsen and he had afraid of playing with him and lose his career glory because many people see kasparov has the best, someone almost invincible just beaten by the  Machines

Sorry this is premature to say. Let see first Carlsen dominating chess for 20 years as world number one. Let see first Carlsen becoming a word champion and defending it..

Elubas

I thought Kasparov was just passionate about politics. Or is that just his excuse do you think?

Paulerdos
trysts wrote:
Paulerdos wrote:

I don't know if he's definitely going to play, but he didn't announce that he wasn't going to play, from what I can find. He's the number two seeded player in the candidates tournament:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013

I have seen that link before, but I've also read recently (forgot where, but perhaps on the news results when I googled Carlsen) that Carlsen, Aronian and Kramnik weren't taking part in competing for the challenger for Anand. Also, Gelfand seemed disgruntled and said that he was surprised that Carlsen isn't taking part to be the challenger even after FIDE changed some rules to accomodate his wishes (whatever they were). Or did this refer to the WCC of 2012?

Also, I'm unsure of exactly how the challenger is determined nowadays. Do you HAVE to play in the candidates tournament? Or can you qualify in some other way as well?

bigpoison

It certainly isn't an "excuse".  That's absurd.  He had nothin' to prove.

varelse1
Kingpatzer wrote:

Live ratings aren't official.  Though likely he will, it would take a rather spectacular collapse at this point to stop it from happening. 

Yes, he will. If not this month, then soon. Is only a matter of time now. For all Kasparov's strengths, he never displayed the consistency Carlsen has shown us. I swear, that guy is a machine. He practicaly never loses.

varelse1
trysts wrote:

Good question, trysts. I cannot speak for the world, but I can tell you what I think.

I think Carlsen is great because he never, never has an off tounament. He either wins it, or comes in second. (Is the guy to beat.) The only top GM that comes close is Kramnik.

Other GM's that level, (Aronian, Anaand, Gelfand, for examples), may win a given tournament. But then the very next tournament come in like 9th, or worse.

It's like Magnus never has a bad day. (Or maybe it's like he is better on a bad day than most GM's are on their best. I wonder.) You just cannot replace that level of dependability.

Elubas

I agree with you, bigpoison.

varelse1
Elubas wrote:

I thought Kasparov was just passionate about politics. Or is that just his excuse do you think?

Well, his election run lasted about 40 seconds. So, who knows?

But whatever. He has taken time to train Carlsen and Naka. (A year for each, from what I read.) Anything beyond that is his business, I guess.