Forums

Magnus Carlsen 3004 USCF

Sort:
sapientdust
Savage wrote:
meijinmike wrote:

Carlsen is the greatest.

Oh, please. He's been around for about 15 minutes and hasn't won a thing yet. If he becomes WC and holds the title for 15 years or so, then we'll revisit the issue.

Yep, winning 12 of the last 18 super-GM tournaments and achieving the highest rating ever by the age of 22 -- these are trivial accomplishments. This Carlsen chump needs to adjust his standards of greatness to those of Savage and the other chess.com Savants.

spiderman786

Chocolate is good for you people. Tongue Out

ProfessorProfesesen
Savage wrote:

Talk to me after he's kept it up for another decade or so, when you might actually have a case.

lol the god of chess has spoken...Carlsen is nothing!

where do they make these kind of people??

meijinmike

Kasparov was great but he really had trouble beating Karpov and the matches were marathons. What I am seeing in Carlsen is one who can dominate a match with ANYONE. If I am wrong, then Vishy Anand will be leading the match after 6 rounds. Or 7 rounds. Or 8 rounds. . . . . 

For those who need to see another decade of Carlsens domination, so be it.

Cuz you will.  

gambit-man
[COMMENT DELETED]
bean_Fischer

No, Carlsen won't. He doesn't have it. A girl will beat him.

Meadmaker
Estragon wrote:

Carlsen said he would play next year if it fits his schedule.  It's a nice payday for a week's work, $70,000 for six games.  By contrast, the biggest tournament payday of the year may be Kramnik's net of $98,000 for winning the World Cup, but it took him three weeks and 16 classical games to earn it.

What is foreign to me is why anyone would offer that kind of money for that tournament.   I understand there's a certain appeal to having the great players come together, but someone (I believe that would be the Sinquefelds) had to shell out $170,000 in prize money to make it happen.  There's no way the tournament will generate anywhere near that amount of revenue, so basically they just paid a big chunk of change to get guys together to play Chess in their home town.

Well, if you have the money, and that's how you want to spend it, there's nothing wrong with it, but I just can't relate to it.  It seems just a case of conspicuous consumption to me.  Not that that's awful.  It's just not something I understand on a gut level.

Scottrf

I don't think $170k will have a massive impact on Rex's bank account.

bean_Fischer

You want to do something spectacular with your money. Rexa (is he the guy?) will say proudly : I invited top players to play on my tournament (although it's Sinquefelds). And that makes Sinquefelds a Rex tournament. And good promotion for St. Louis.

Scottrf

He is Rex Sinquefield BTW.

bean_Fischer

You see he has his name on the tournament, and it's in history. For 170k, it's a good deal.

clms_chess
Ruby-Fischer wrote:
clms_chess wrote:
King_Tazo wrote:

Nope. Fischer is a condescending fool. 

He wasted his life being the best at something that doesn't matter. Ask Mike Tyson. Watch the Twilight Zone. At the end of the day, Fischer is a loser.

THATS your opinion. Waisted his life at something ... that doesnt matter? 

Doesnt matter?? to who? You?

Not to me and literally MILLIONS of others (in the US) who started playing chess... because of him (known nationally as the Fischer boom years) He put chess on the map... in the US. The 72 match he played vs Spasky was a political firestorm... and was the ONLY time... chess... made it to the mainstream media... in the US. That 72' match and all the circus that went with it made front page news... and Bobby Fischer became a house hold name back then. 

THAT.... matters.

I think the whole point is Fischer was American, a great player and he did bring chess to many Americans. Surely a great achievement, but...

If he had been Russian, he'd have been one of many great players, and faded into the background long ago.

Lets face it, one World Championship win would be no big deal in Russia.

I understand your point. but the fact is he wasnt one of many Russian champions. I could turn it around... what if the Russians had not dominated world chess for 50 years and had no world chess champion from their country (in that century) and they didnt have a government or culture that supported chess... but they did have one lone guy with very lil support from his govern ment or culture, took on the big bad US which, lets say, HAD dominated world chess for decades.... and that one lone guy won said championship...??

there IS a difference. Add the political turmoil at the time and the media circus that encircled it (did any Russian WCC winner/match garner THAT much world media attention?...no) made Bobby Fischer world famous.

IDASP
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:

3000 ha!  I eat 3000 for breakfast.  Well, 3000 calories.

XD just for that joke ill give you a free trophy!

clms_chess
Antonio_Montana wrote:

I think that Magnus Carlsen looks like a cockaroach.

what the?

dhimanb

He has stagnated at 2860 WinkLaughing

TetsuoShima
King_Tazo wrote:

He wasted his life being the best at something that doesn't matter. Ask Mike Tyson. Watch the Twilight Zone. At the end of the day, Fischer is a loser.

well he spend his time becoming recognized as one of the smartest people on earth and as a side effect become millionaire and welcome guest for kings and queens, while you spend your time posting on the internet.

yeah its really a tough call who spend his time wiser...

also his hands didnt steal.

fischer was a winner

Xirehzin
King_Tazo wrote:

If chess mattered to Fischer, he didn't waste his life. You're the condescending fool here jackass.

Mr_YinYang
grimshanky wrote:

Tazo, people will be studying Fischer's games for centuries, long after every trace of you or I will be lost in the abyss of time, and after all our progeny will have forgotten our names.  In a very real sense, that matters.  The man was an artist, and he'll live on as long as the game does.  To say that the game doesn't matter is to say that all interests of human beings don't matter.  Chess is as trivial as movies, is as trivial as sports, is as trivial as fashion, is as trivial as the finer arts, etc... The thing the greatest chess players have given the people who enjoy the game is the same thing the greatest directors have given film buffs, and so on.  It's the joy in experiencing something abstract and beautiful.  Elegant and powerful.  Ephemeral yet lasting.  This type of joy, in whatever form people indulge, is the reason the world keeps spinning.  Chess is no trivial matter.

@grimshanky You are 100% right. It's not "just a game" Tell the millions of sports fanatics that it is "just a game" you will probably get your ass kicked. Why? Because a huge amount of time and effort and energy and SACRIFICE goes into being a Master, World Champion or even an Expert. Nobody is trying to take away the greatness of people who build houses, find cures for illnesses, protect us and raise are standard of living...we are just trying to make a point that it is ALWAYS important when someone does something brilliantly.

TetsuoShima

who cares about those average masters or experts, the point is that millions of people having duels of their minds and Fischer easily wiped them from the board. Fischer dominated them all!!!!! FIScher the Mastermind, the superhero in a time  mediocrity was threatening the world, Fischer rescued all and showed that greatness does exist!!!

more then ever we need someone like Fischer, were everyone thinks its ok to be somewhat mediocre. Fischer was the prophet, the Zarathustra came to life showing us the way to the Übermensch!!!

clms_chess
TetsuoShima wrote:

who cares about those average masters or experts, the point is that millions of people having duels of their minds and Fischer easily wiped them from the board. Fischer dominated them all!!!!! FIScher the Mastermind, the superhero in a time  mediocrity was threatening the world, Fischer rescued all and showed that greatness does exist!!!

more then ever we need someone like Fischer, were everyone thinks its ok to be somewhat mediocre. Fischer was the prophet, the Zarathustra came to life showing us the way to the Übermensch!!!

Whoa... lol Man... you really think the highest of Bobby Fischer.

Im an admited Fischer fan... of his chess. i do though have major problems with his view on women (if my wife had the opportunity, she would have let him have it... lol), anti semetic views and his pain the butt antics.

just my 2 cents worth :)