Forums

News compares Carlsen to Justin Bieber

Sort:
spikestars

I do not understand how a news agency could write something like this and expect to post this without angering chess fans. The article is outdated as they posted round 7's results when round 8 is already finished. Considering this was posted a few hours ago the news site is doing a crap job

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/meet-magnus-carlsen-the-justin-bieber-of-chess/story-fn907478-1226764138456

Meet Magnus Carlsen, the 'Justin Bieber' of chess

Norweigna Magnus Carlsen, left, plays against reigning world chess champion India's Viswanathan Anand during the Chess Wor

Norweigna Magnus Carlsen, left, plays against reigning world chess champion India's Viswanathan Anand during the Chess World Championship match in Chennai, India on Monday. Picture: AFP. Source: AP

THE genius of Norwegian chess player Magnus Carlsen is perhaps best described through numbers.

The first, 13, is he age at which he became a "grand master" of chess, and a household name in Norway. 2861 - Carlsen's player rating, making him the highest-rated chess player in history. And 19 - the age at which he became the world's youngest number one-ranked chess player.

Makes you feel a little inadequate, doesn't it?

And now he's about to go down in history as the greatest chess player of all time, as he battles it out at the World Chess Championships against five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand.

It seems the world just can't get enough of this 22-year-old Norwegian hunk.

He's been dubbed "the Mozart of chess", one of the "the sexiest men of 2013" by Cosmopolitan and earns around $1 million annually just through sponsorship deals with brands such G-Star Raw.

Carlsen with Liv Tyler promoting fashion brand G-Star Raw. Picture: Getty Images

Carlsen with Liv Tyler promoting fashion brand G-Star Raw. Picture: Getty Images Source: Supplied

But it's his unusual style of play - one based on intuition rather than computer-generated analysis - that has the chess world spellbound.

"Often I cannot explain a certain move, only know that it feels right, and it seems that my intuition is right more often than not," he told The Guardian.

From an early age, Carlsen's father told The Guardian, Magnus was able to perform impressive feats of memory, "reciting countries, populations and so on, but that it wasn't until he was eight, when sibling rivalry drove him to beat his older sister at chess, that he really began to focus on the game."

He bypassed university and went on to win the all the major chess titles, including the London Chess Classic in 2009, 2010 and 2012 and the Bilboa Masters in 2011 and 2012.

His life is very different to that of most 22-year-olds. He even dreams about chess in his sleep - "but these dreams are usually connected with something negative. I am losing to players I never normally lose to and I am arriving late and being defaulted; that happens so many times in my dreams - I don't know why.

Meet the Justin Bieber of chess

Chess genius Magnus Carlsen was named one of sexiest men of 2013. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

But despite all his achievements, Carlsen still reckons he's "quite lazy".

"I like to sleep in until noon. Most of my friends have jobs." He does "a bit of yoga", although he adds: "So far I haven't thought of any brilliant chess moves while lying down."

Does he think he's a genius?

"No, I am not. I'm just really, really good at what I do," he told The Guardian. "I'm fortunate to do something I love, but I'm not a genius." How would he describe himself then? "I guess I'm pretty laid back ... But I am also determined when it comes to chess. I don't like conflicts, apart from on the board. In general I am very different to how I am on the board."

Carlsen currently leads his epic battle with India's Anand 4.5-2.5 after the seventh match ended in a draw.

Chess geeks (and hoards of adoring female fans) watch with baited breath around the world to see if Carlsen passes this last test of his genius.

And he's got some advice for any ladies out there looking to make him their King: don't talk to him about chess.

"I really don't like it when I go out and some girls start talking to me about how they played chess with their grandfather as a kid, I can't stand that. It's boring. I want to talk about whatever else."

Got it.

###

TheGreatOogieBoogie

People only say they hate the Bieb because they're jelly. 

Scottrf

I don't feel angry.

NomadicKnight

I personally despise Bieber and all his "Beliebers" as worthless morons... but there IS one similarity between the two: Both have images as "pretty boys" (Magnus is somehow able to pass as a model despite having a face like that of a Neanderthal)

qinns

'Justin Bieber' of chess

it like calling Einstein the 'Dustin Hoffman' of phisics, anyway it's done. 

TheGreatOogieBoogie
NomadicKnight wrote:

I'm personally jelly of Bieber and all his "Beliebers" I wish I had... but there IS one similarity between the two: Both have images as "pretty boys" (Magnus is somehow able to pass as a model because the ladies think he's oh so smexeh)

Fixed. 

MrDamonSmith

What is smexeh?

TheGreatOogieBoogie

It's a cute way of spelling smexy.  It's quite fashionable to spell things that end in y with eh to give it a certain accent, like spelling tomorrow as tomorrah.  Why? (not "wheh",  don't ask me why that doesn't work, it just doesn't, okay!) 

NomadicKnight

That was pretty stupid "oogieboogie"... I take it you're a "belieber"? HAHAHA how very, very sad... I lose faith in our future generation daily it seems...

CHCL
TheGreatOogieBoogie wrote:
NomadicKnight wrote:

I'm personally jelly of Bieber and all his "Beliebers" I wish I had... but there IS one similarity between the two: Both have images as "pretty boys" (Magnus is somehow able to pass as a model because the ladies think he's oh so smexeh)

Fixed. 

Are you aware brah?

NomadicKnight
NomadicKnight wrote:

I personally despise Bieber and all his "Beliebers" as worthless morons... but there IS one similarity between the two: Both have images as "pretty boys" (Magnus is somehow able to pass as a model despite having a face like that of a Neanderthal)

Original quote re-posted, minus a teenager's stupid edits. Grow up oogieboogie, you're the future of humanity.

TheGreatOogieBoogie
NomadicKnight wrote:

That was pretty stupid "oogieboogie"... I take it you're a "belieber"? HAHAHA how very, very sad... I lose faith in our future generation daily it seems...

No just trying to be funny ^_^

TheGreatOogieBoogie
Mersaphe wrote:

I like the part where Carlsen says he doesn't like girls who play chess

Not even Kostenuik? =(  She's really pretteh! :D  Ugh, fine, pretty, is everyone happy now.