Forums

Nobody has yet become a Grandmaster by watching chess videos... True or False?

Sort:
renumeratedfrog01

Despite what some chess sites would like us to believe....

beardogjones

Sam Shankland became a grandmaster while producing chess videos...

renumeratedfrog01
beardogjones wrote:

Sam Shankland became a grandmaster while producing chess videos...

That wasn't the question, but nice try... N.B. Shankland is an employee of the site that I shall not mention....

Michael-G

Chess videos can't make you even master.The reason is simple.Chess needs serious study, serious study needs serious books.You can't even be a good chef  or a good driver from  videos, how can you possibly  be a good chess-player from them?

Chess videos is the easy solution for those not capable or not willing to do what they must.And they just fool themselves believing that it is enough.At least 95% of beginners (on any chess site) are mislead and greatly confused and chess videos only make things worst.

To be fair , chess videos can help but only combined with good books and serious study.For example, only reading about opposition and critical squares is not enough , you have to see it too.Either someone will show you or a chess-video will.It's only a suplementary teaching tool and as such should be treated and not as the main source of chess knowledge.

renumeratedfrog01
Michael-G wrote:

It's only a suplementary teaching tool and as such should be treated and not as the main source of chess knowledge.

Bingo... From my own experience, 90% of chess videos are basically a commentary on some game that is supposed to illustrate the main point.  Unfortunately, the point gets lost in irrelavancy after about 5 minutes....

Such videos are basically time-fillers for the authors, because they get paid by the minute. Nothing puts me faster to sleep than watching such crap. 

BlackieIsBack

lol i have never studied a game in depth, or even read a book about chess, and i wont go and watch a stupid youtube on one lol..... and yet i have developed into a very decent player :)

renumeratedfrog01
Count_Rugen wrote:

What's the relevancy of the socceroo picture?

It's Carlsen, the guy who never even used a computer until he was 10.

Vivinski

I'm pretty confident I'd beat magnus at soccer, so who cares :P

blake78613

I sure that a lot of grandmasters watched chess videos.  I don't know how you would go about proving cause and effect.

George1st

True.

fburton
renumeratedfrog01 wrote:

Despite what some chess sites would like us to believe....

I'm sure some chess sites would love us to believe that - they have something to sell after all. However, I don't think any would make that claim, because it is frankly absurd - at least the claim that anyone could become a GM just by watching chess videos.

John_Doe18

Whether players become masters or not, it depends on their efforts, not wheather they watched videos or not

Scottrf

Poor thread, I don't know of any claims that chess videos by themselves can make you a GM, but of course they help along the way.

gattaca
yaukungmun wrote:

chess videos I think are extremely helpful for someone who doesn't know a damn thing about chess. they can provide a foundation of sorts from which to build upon.

I don't want to cool down your enthusiasm but I did not need a single video since my beginning. In fact no one need a video; the videos are optional, not necessary. Books are sufficient, in fact even less than a book could be enough; the most important thing is practice.

yaukungmun wrote:

I think if someone gets a diamond membership on this site, uses all the resources religiously and in the right way, they can obtain around 2000 elo or expert rating. anything above that probably requires real chess tournaments and specialized training from an IM or GM.

I think if someone uses all the resources religiously and in the right way, he can obtain roughly whatever he wants and not only in chess.

yaukungmun wrote:

anything above that probably requires real chess tournaments and specialized training from an IM or GM.

Again I will disappoint you; having played some former tournaments winners, champions, IM, GM, I would say your statement is false. To get better results, practice, learning (not necessary videos) and determination are what you need above everything. I would add patience. Other factors are, imho, secondary.

George1st

I just gave everyone the answer  ^^^^

theunsjb

Nobody has yet posted a more absurd statement than this one... True or False?

Michael-G

Chess Videos certainly are not needed.Usually the knowledge a Chess Video can give in an hour is about 5-10 minutes teaching with a human.

Chess Videos help only those that get money from them, no one else.Of course if you don't study chess from books then watching a chess video can help.But in the long run is a total waste of time and money(for those who buy them).

Nothing is better than a good book , a chess board , and a friend that can answer your questions.In an hour, you can learn more than you can learn in 30 hours of chess videos.

Problem is , very few know what "good book" means , even fewer add personal effort and they prefer instead to do it with an engine, and even fewer know who can answer their questions.Proof is the hundreds of topics where ignorant and confused beginners are being advised(and in many cases concinced)  by other even more ignorant and confused beginners.

Scottrf
Michael-G wrote:

Nothing is better than a good book , a chess board , and a friend that can answer your questions.In an hour, you can learn more than you can learn in 30 hours of chess videos.

Absolute subjective and arbitrary garbage. It takes the same amount of time to speak in a video and real life, you don't have to set up the position, how can it possibly be so much quicker with a book and board. Depends completely on the video.

Maybe you don't like videos, maybe they don't help you, but it doesn't make any of what you say correct.

George1st

Once again...true

gattaca
Scottrf wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

Absolute subjective and arbitrary garbage. It takes the same amount of time to speak in a video and real life, you don't have to set up the position, how can it possibly be so much quicker with a book and board. Depends completely on the video.

Maybe you don't like videos, maybe they don't help you, but it doesn't make any of what you say correct.

It could be interesting to give us some examples of those who actually improve their play with video.