Forums

Not specifying which knight or rook in notation

Sort:
gbidari

A lot of new players write say,"Rd1" and you ask them "which rook?" and they give you that horrified look of ignorance. I'm wondering if neglecting to specify which rook or knight is an indication of the player not seeing the whole board including all the pieces.

LavaRook

Maybe they just forgot to indicate it and can't quite remember during the post analysis which one they moved?

I guess its possible that they didn't realize that another piece could have moved there, which may indicate that they aren't seeing the whole board. But, with new players, I think just going through a game and seeing the blatant mistakes (like hanging a piece) and all would be a better indication.

JubilationTCornpone

I believe it's the case that if you seal a move this way in an adjournment, the opponent chooses which rook.

blueemu
RCMorea wrote:

I believe it's the case that if you seal a move this way in an adjournment, the opponent chooses which rook.

No. If the sealed move is ambiguous, then the player who sealed the move loses the game by forfeit. FIDE Rule 8-a under "Guidelines in case a game needs to be adjourned".

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=125&view=article

zkman
gbidari wrote:

A lot of new players write say,"Rd1" and you ask them "which rook?" and they give you that horrified look of ignorance. I'm wondering if neglecting to specify which rook or knight is an indication of the player not seeing the whole board including all the pieces.

I would guess it is usually both :D

JubilationTCornpone
blueemu wrote:
RCMorea wrote:

No. If the sealed move is ambiguous, then the player who sealed the move loses the game by forfeit. FIDE Rule 8-a under "Guidelines in case a game needs to be adjourned".

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=125&view=article

OK, that's even stricter than I thought.