Forums

Process oriented goals

Sort:
Connectedpasser

I've recently been taught that fixating on the chess result is detrimental to one's game. I was wondering what process oriented goals strong players ( if any ) aim for move to move. For example,calculate at least three moves ahead, consider x amount of candidate moves. Basicaly I am looking for goals that are not directly related to the outcome of the game. My blitz rating shot up to 1850 something when I started making it a point to do some, any calculation whenever it is my turn to move. Even if it is a recapture. Just throwing that up as an example. Thanks in advance.

LoveYouSoMuch

it's like, "play to win without thinking about winning".

for me it seems to be like a state of mind that i get into when i am really in the zone. :P
there, i am like fully conscious of what i am aiming for in every move since move 1 in the opening.

yes, i know that isn't really what you asked, but... i don't know my answer. i think my answer is something like "try to evaluate your chances and the position actually honestly" - i guess you know what i mean.

Connectedpasser

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I slip into that frame of mind when I just become a chess cyborg and 100 percent of my brain is working out chess stuff and it feels effortless. Too bad we can't force that state of mind.

pdve

in 7 deadly chess sins, jonathon rowson points out the 1st sin as 'thinking'. the antidote is intuition.

TetsuoShima
Connectedpasser wrote:

I've recently been taught that fixating on the chess result is detrimental to one's game. I was wondering what process oriented goals strong players ( if any ) aim for move to move. For example,calculate at least three moves ahead, consider x amount of candidate moves. Basicaly I am looking for goals that are not directly related to the outcome of the game. My blitz rating shot up to 1850 something when I started making it a point to do some, any calculation whenever it is my turn to move. Even if it is a recapture. Just throwing that up as an example. Thanks in advance.

i think there is a zen concept or something like that about it (man i have no clue what is what i probably dont even know what zen is). Shame i forgot what it was called, usually im t not into that stuff...

but they showed japanese archers, that hit bulls eye without fixing on the target.i forgot what it was called.

TetsuoShima

definetly fixating on the results is bad anyway because you get nervous, firs i got 2000 tactics rating again i got so nervous because i didnt want to lose it, than i heard Gm player have 2700 tactics rating, that completly destroyed my concentration. I dont know if any of the other advise makes sense, but focussing on results can potentially be really bad in my opinion.