Forums

"Today Magnus a wimp"

Sort:
toiyabe

http://www.nrk.no/sport/_-i-dag-var-magnus-en-pyse-1.11347820

Agree or disagree?

I agree, Magnus will have to step it up and play e4 or d4 lines if he wants to get advantage, playing Reti garbage won't work on someone with as extensive opening prep as Anand.

Returnofcookiemonster

This 1st game was the most boringest, seriously drawing in 16 moves??? Atleast play the game until the ending.

KILLEDBYHONEYDIJON

Yeah, that was just silly.  Magnus disappoints.

Somebodysson

haha, come on you guys. Carlsen has been playing chess since he was born, or close to it. He has been a top player for all of his life. He doens't have any inferiority complexes, and doens't act like he has anything to prove. Neither does Anand. He does;'t think of things like "reti garbage'. he thinks on a whole other level than you or I or anyone else on chess.com. Sometimes people like Judith Polgar, Nigel Short, etc grace our pages. They, too, don't think of chess moves in any the same way as we do. All of us. from 1000-2000, think of chess moves in fundamentally the same way. Above that, I think that up to about 2400 there is another level of thinking, and then another and another. Don't assume you can understand the thinking and the decision making of Magnus Carlsen or Vishy Anand. Its crazy!!! They're thinking of hippopotamuses  and orangutans (reference to Tal and Tartakower ;-> ). 

onthehouse

There's plenty of time for redemption in the ensuing 11 games.

TitanCG

Game 1 was a throwaway. I don't know why he chose to play that way but I don't think he wasn't intending to win outright. He's a young guy going up against odds that no one his age ever faced. Of course he's going to be shaky. And Tal had 21 games to defeat Botvinnik not a dismal 12... Not losing in this format is a lot more important than winning and getting away with that draw was not a bad result.

asadinator
harryz wrote:
Somebodysson wrote:

haha, come on you guys. Carlsen has been playing chess since he was born, or close to it. He has been a top player for all of his life. He doens't have any inferiority complexes, and doens't act like he has anything to prove. Neither does Anand. He does;'t think of things like "reti garbage'. he thinks on a whole other level than you or I or anyone else on chess.com. Sometimes people like Judith Polgar, Nigel Short, etc grace our pages. They, too, don't think of chess moves in any the same way as we do. All of us. from 1000-2000, think of chess moves in fundamentally the same way. Above that, I think that up to about 2400 there is another level of thinking, and then another and another. Don't assume you can understand the thinking and the decision making of Magnus Carlsen or Vishy Anand. Its crazy!!! They're thinking of hippopotamuses  and orangutans (reference to Tal and Tartakower ;-> ). 

But hes not nearly as good as Fischer, Kasparov, Capablanca, etc.

His point was, he's so much better than you that you look like an idiot to him.

Bye.

gaereagdag

Magnus must toughen up! Only this man can stop Magnus from being a drawing fool:

Ziryab

The Reti is not garbage. What Carlsen played, however, only started as a Reti. When he played 4.d4, the game left the territory of the Reti.

9.Nc3 was probably the move that handed the reins to Anand. although players of the White side have done okay with 9.Nc3 against opponents below Anand's skill level.

Laurent Fressinet, whom Rogers mentions in the article, has played 9.Nbd2 in this position. 

kco

This thread is full of whimps, lol.

OldChessDog

Nf3 is a flexible move, nothing wrong with it. If Carlsen's overall strategy was to keep the first game flexibe to get a feel for the extent of Anand's preparation--that seems perfectly logical to me. The guy is playing for the World Championship for the first time. The pressure must be tremendous. I think he did quite well. 

toiyabe

I was kinda being tongue-in-cheek when I called the Reti garbage, I know its a fully capable opening(I even play it).  Still though, I wouldn't be surprised if Magnus switches to 1.e4 for the rest of the match. A couple months ago he said himself he was primarily an e4 player, we'll see what he plays with white in game 3.      

Useless_Eustace

ther both stil workiner outin ther hed yet. gitcher cobbd pipe lit - weer jes gittin stardid. 

Lou-for-you

The man was raised in a cave in the mountains. But his health is not improving. A while ago i undestood it at least half. Now nothing at all. But it does not bother anybody.. :-)

Ziryab
ManMountainMike wrote:

ther both stil workiner outin ther hed yet. gitcher cobbd pipe lit - weer jes gittin stardid. 

No wacky tabaki. Stick to cavendish.

Lou-for-you

It is cavendish :-)

KILLEDBYHONEYDIJON

Totally.