Forums

Ranting of a frustrated tournament player

Sort:
britesorb

Op you will need to get used to vacation hogs and slow players. Almost every tourney is going to have a few slowpokes that hold up the next round. Just load up on other tournies, stick the stalled game in the fridge and forget about it. Otherwise you just drive yourself crazy.

imogen-taylor-568

To get round the vacation problem, in case someone does want to go when a game has been in process for a while, maybe give 7 days per move maximum but (for example) only 35 days maximum per ten consecutive moves.   So then people can have some flexibility to take several days over a move so long as they don't constantly do that.

mudgee08

I just refuse to play the people who use vacations to win by default . most of them are serial offenders any way ! Maybe we should name and shame them on a defaulters page

kleelof
mudgee08 wrote:

I just refuse to play the people who use vacations to win by default . most of them are serial offenders any way ! Maybe we should name and shame them on a defaulters page

How can you use vacation time to win?

913Glorax12

You time out

mudgee08

Or they just keep going on vacation everytime its their turn until you get sick of it and resign

mudgee08
913Glorax12 wrote:

You time out

they just keep going on vacation everytime its their turn until you get sick of it and resign

hapless_fool

I got caught up with my tournament games when I went on vacation.

OldChessDog

I don't play in online tournaments for this exact reason. My schedule is too unpredictable. Would have to take lots of vacations--though they would be relatively short for the most part.

JamieDelarosa
LongIslandMark wrote:

I thought a "jerkin" was some sort of pickle. Sounds like you're in one. I remember another posting they were in a 7 day/move tournament that, mostly because of vacations, was going on for years - with everyone held up because of a few.

If you are jerkin, it is with a pocket pickle.

Gherkin!

JamieDelarosa
AaronGo wrote:

Even if I gave someone the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know that they would be on vacation when the tourney started..how can you explain when someone asks you to play and then they go on vacation after one move.  Is this how they improve their rating by frustrated players just resigning to move on with their chess life.  Okay, I need a drink!

If they pull that, just resign.  There is no change in rating for a game aborted or ended on time in fewer than 4(?) moves.

vacation4me
JamieDelarosa wrote:
LongIslandMark wrote:

I thought a "jerkin" was some sort of pickle. Sounds like you're in one. I remember another posting they were in a 7 day/move tournament that, mostly because of vacations, was going on for years - with everyone held up because of a few.

Gherkin!

Someone finally go the meaning of jerkin' right.

kleelof
JamieDelarosa wrote:
LongIslandMark wrote:

Gherkin!

That's not very lady like.Laughing

yucca

An online tournament I'm currently participating in started in the late 16th century.  Shakespeare dropped out early on, due to death.  The Highlander is currently on move 20 against Zeus.  I'm having to pickle myself like a gherkin just to keep myself preserved.

vacation4me

The only reason why I was able to beat Amelia Earnhart was that she finally ran out of vacation days during her travels.

yucca

@Amelia just use your mobile internet connection babe.  

vacation4me

The tournament is still going strong... now people are taking Halloween vacation breaks.

vacation4me
kaynight wrote:

Best cancel Christmas then.

As long as it ends this tournament..I'm all for it!