Forums

Road to 1800 blitz rating(in 6 months)

Sort:
jaiyeblexxy

Okay, this is harder than I thought it would be. I have an exam by Jan 20th so I barely even get time to play a game or two daily. And yeah, I hit a peak of 1250 but guess who went on a losing streak. I learnt the hard way that psychological stress makes you play bad chess so I will be playing my last game in January today. After today, I am taking a month off from chess. However I still intend to continue watching John Bartholomew standard chess video daily and tactics as always.

catmaster0
jaiyeblexxy wrote:

Okay, this is harder than I thought it would be. I have an exam by Jan 20th so I barely even get time to play a game or two daily. And yeah, I hit a peak of 1250 but guess who went on a losing streak. I learnt the hard way that psychological stress makes you play bad chess so I will be playing my last game in January today. After today, I am taking a month off from chess. However I still intend to continue watching John Bartholomew standard chess video daily and tactics as always.

Perhaps you should rethink your target goals. You can't always move up in chess, you will stop for a bit, and go up and down, etc. This is especially true if you lack time. When you work hard, you can do a lot, but ultimately I imagine your time and effort is not on chess, but on your current IRL work, and that's your first priority in making progress. It's not a bad thing to put chess on the back burner and relax a bit. You can still try to make small improvements in chess and explore new openings for practice, but if you do perhaps keep your goals milder while chess is at best a secondary priority. Then, once you've dealt with your primary goals aside from chess and have more time, you can get back to focusing on chess and ambitiously goal-setting now that you have the time to put in those hours of effort and thought. 

R0DFARVA

Setting a goal such as getting x rating by x date is a surefire way to be disappointed. Just keep learning and you'll get there when you get there. 1800 blitz is not that easy even without setting a deadline to achieve it, especially if we're talking about 3 min games.

cOOkiEwrAth

Just play loads of games. I had a similarly ridiculous goal, to reach 2000 blitz from beginner (849) within a year. I missed out on my target by 17 days sad.png, but if my intuition is right, setting goals makes you more likely to achieve them.

cOOkiEwrAth

It turns out you are probably wrong ghost

https://www.dominican.edu/academics/lae/undergraduate-programs/psych/faculty/assets-gail-matthews/researchsummary2.pdf

(of course it would be nice to have more than 267 participants, some identical twins, and some people with identical goals, but that would make the study more difficult, time consuming and expensive)

cOOkiEwrAth

You don't trust studies or just psychological studies? (because if it's the latter then I somewhat agree with you)

FinleyMoore

wow this sounds like a pretty good plan! try not to burn yourself out though :)

BiologicalHazard

i made 1400 in 241 days of playing, so you possibly could do it.

llamonade2

Worry about what you learn and your rating will take care of itself.

Capabotvikhine
ChessFreak2020 wrote:

Not to dash your goals to pieces but going from 1139 to 1800 in 6 months would be extremely difficult if not nearly impossible. I have no doubt you could reach an 1800 blitz rating but in six months, I don't know. For me at least, I started on chess.com with a 600+ rating, it's taken me 2 years to get to 1600, my progress could actually be considered fast to some people, definitely slow to others. I personally would shoot for smaller goals, like 100-200 points and then once I get there try it again and again. If you look at the graphs of masters you will see a common pattern, first they will climb, then plateau and stay there for a while, then peak and climb again, then plateau and this process keeps repeating until they finally get to where they have climbed to the top of there performance level and probably cannot improve further. So the main issue is that you have to expect to plateau every time you peak, which will take time, maybe more time than you hope. Good Luck. I will look at your rating in 6 months to see if have accomplished your goal.

Yes, ChessFreak knows of which he speaks. but the OP lost me at "Learnt". Really???

jaiyeblexxy

I know this is kinda silly since I posted the initial message years ago. However, after more three years since my post, I realized chess is harder and brutal than I initially thought. I have achieved 2000+ which is more than my initial goal of 1800 (albeit not technically blitz since chess.com changed their TC shenanigans since my last post). Overall, I am glad for everyone who helped with their insights.

LightningStorm_07
Congratulations bro! (I am still pushing towards 2000.)
jaiyeblexxy
LightningStorm_07 wrote:
Congratulations bro! (I am still pushing towards 2000.)

Thank you! Been trying to get better and maintain 2000 myself. Good luck with your goal!