Forums

So hard to reach 2000 in here because...

Sort:
ESP-918

I'm trying to reach 2000 , but it's pure [removed -- MOD].

I'm often playing people rating 1800ish 1900ish and it's should be easy win for me, but then their speed and skills shows me the opposite, like completely opposite, so I suspect them of cheating or something else , go to there profile and here you go highest rating 2200ish( like this year for example very recent) best win 2300ish .

My point is all the people I'm playing who are 1800ish, 1900ish 2000ish whatever they are all actually like 200 points higher in skills level then it shows their rating ! I feel so unfair when I play someone like yesterday was 1900ish which means A class player I couldn't do anything against him , so after checking his proficient I was playing against strong CM players 2200ish that's a bull crap.

So many players here have like 40000 games under their belt , rating say 2100ish or 2200ish , best wins again 2300ish or 2400ish and yet they are playing with a rating 1800 , that's ridiculous!

I wonder how it is in a real tournaments, same story there or?

Smoggyabbainopadano

In real tournaments they are also stronger xD.

ESP-918

Just now played a player : his rating shows 1910 went to his profile highest rating 2178 , best win 2452 , 13000games .

Shouldn he play in a different league or something, he has no right to play 1800 is or 1900ish people coz it's unfair to them ! It's like taking a GM and bringing him to an B class tournament , what the he'll is this? Do they do that on purpose dropping their ratings like that to score wins ?

Graf_Nachthafen

Stop being obsessed with rating, it means nothing in itself.

Why are you playing chess ? Are you playing because you enjoy the game or are you playing because you have some abstract number goal you want to achieve ?

If you want to become better, try to improve your actual chess, not your rating.

Moe
Nothing to cry about. You improve by playing against better players
Covertfun

Maybe the ratings oscillate here a lot more than in tournament play?
People online play late at night, I sometimes play late at night and drunk; maybe the cat is being too friendly and distracting them. Maybe the cat is drunk, you just don't know.
But what would happen is that ELO jumps up and down more than if everyone is fresh, dressed and ready to play chess.

I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged buddy. Take a break for two days or send me a challenge and flog a 1670 Australian.

alinfe

I don't get it why you are so upset.

Here you can, to a certain extent, choose your opponents. For example you can choose to play people within +/-100 elo points, or 50, or 200, or whatever. From what I heard, in real life OTB tournaments you don't always have that luxury.

Second, you can go for rapid rather than bullet or blitz, if you find the experience too unpredictable. 

Third, if somebody is fairly active and their rating is 1900, then that's it. It doesn't matter if their peak rating was 2200 once. Maybe it happened during their provisional period, maybe they took a long break, who knows.

Last but not least, if you think people's ratings aren't indicative of their true strength (i.e. ratings are lower than they should be), maybe you should try the FIDE online arena. There even 1400-something rated players are challenging (to me).

Die_Schanze

Today i win 200 points, tomorrow i lose 200 points, that's online blitz chess. Best wins mean nothing, everyone wins one out of 1000 games against a 500 points higher rated opponents.

AIM-AceMove

Yeah

bluejonz

this post is a troll

because only sore losers says everyone else is cheating.

thegreat_patzer

I think it is silly to blame a lack of improvement because people at (or below) your level  had a higher rating.

and yes. this Does often happen in OTB.

rating is NOT a measurement of chess skill only performance.  and it is natural that at time people perform a little better; and then sink a little when there are not feeling as inspired.

also I have no idea on whether cheating is bigger factor as you one advances to 2000- but I note that discussions of that topic are strictly forbidden in the forums.  instead there is a group you can surely join where it would be appropriate to get comments on this question...

I am more strongly confirmed than ever in the belief that the time devoted to chess is literally frittered away.

Pashak1989
bluejonz escribió:

this post is a troll

That's a constant here

NotBlunderJustSacrifice

Cheating is not a factor at least in 2000-2150 level where i play. I think most of the times people are too paranoid about it. Suppose someone cheats and destroys u in a game, u lose like 10 rating points? If your true rating is 50 points higher or whatnot - you can just play another player to win it back easily. This is why i don't get annoyed when I disconnect even when winning - I know the rating will swing back eventually to my true rating (when my connection gets bettter happy.png)

thegreat_patzer

yeah, I wasn't sure (at first) but now I think this will be locked.

ofc some of these comments are good.  but the mods are much more strict about this topic than other forbidden topics

phplWqmUW.jpeg

NotBlunderJustSacrifice

Also blunders happen at every level - check out ginger gm blitz videos to see a 2500-2600 GM hang a free rook. The difference is 99% of his moves are gonna outright destroy players like us so it only matters at his 2600 level. 

Personally I blunder like that too at 2050.. embarrassing but that's the truth.

urk
According to Myratingis1523 all you have to do is not hang pieces and take your opponent's hanging pieces.
And if your blitz rating is under 1800 you're worse than a beginner.
SirFlintstone

The rating formula they use here is a little modified from your regular USCF or FIDE one.  I've seen many masters on here with ratings at or below 2000.  A little bonus or feedback points could correct it but, they have other reasons for not doing this.

General-TsoTso

i see your frustration, you reached 1978, but that being your highest indicates you average a bit lower, so you need to broaden your knowledge of play, learn new tricks man, improve.

there was that guy Rajabov who reached 2799.8 or something but dropped like a concrete block afterwards. Gotta be tough as nails for this game, they are all out to get you!

hey_Chris

What does it matter if one of your opponents did use an engine to cheat? Don't you realize that online chess ratings are a joke?