Forums

Stalemate needs to be abolished...

Sort:
Kens_Mom

Monster,

If I do not like the no-hands rule in soccer, I may opt to start playing soccer with the house rules "one is allowed to touch the ball."  What I won't do is to go on soccer.com forums to try to spearhead a change to allow hands to touch the soccer ball.

Stalemate is one of the defining characteristics of chess in the same way that the no-hands rule is a defining characteristic of soccer.  Change it, and the game is no longer the same.  In other words, get rid of stalemate, and the game is no longer chess.  This is why no one wants this aspect of the game to change.  It's not about people being "afraid of change," or not wanting to change something that is already established "because it's established."

Since you're basically suggesting to make a different game out of chess, the reasonable thing to do is to simply create that different game without altering chess.  There is no necessity to change chess itself if your version of the game can be brought to reality without altering the integrety of chess.  But you seem to think that the official rules of international chess must be changed, and I'm still not sure why.  The offical rules of chess won't prevent you from playing any other variant of chess as far as I can tell, though you obviously cannot say that you are playing "real" chess if you are playing no-stalemate chess (and perhaps that's what you want to change).  That's not a serious issue, however, and it's definitely not a good reason to change the offical rules.

Like I said, creating a variant may eventually lead to mainline chess adopting the no-stalemate rule if it is indeed a good rule, so I don't see what the problem is (I guess I'm asking the same question for the third time).

EDIT: You asked why it can't be the official rules that become the variant.  The reason is that it takes much less work and agony to have no-stalemate chess as the variant.  Since they would both accomplish the same thing, why not choose the path of least resistance?  This is why I say that creating a variant is more practical than trying to change existing rules.

Here_Is_Plenty

The only credible variation I have seen in chess in the time I have been playing (34 years) is the 960 one.  The game as it stands is a beautiful thing.

Kens_Mom
melvinbluestone wrote:

The stalemate rule is like Obamacare: Nobody likes it, but we're stuck with it...... for now. However, there does seem to be something inherently unfair about the players in these situations getting equal credit for the game. Kens_Mom's idea of trying it as a variation is interesting. But it's hard to envision lots of players flocking to the "no stalemate division" at tournaments.........

That's true, mainly because it changes the game quite a bit.  I'm not saying that such a variant won't be accepted by the chess playing community, but the players will first have to get used to and ease into this "new" chess before they even consider it a serious variant.  Accomplishing that would require a lot of time.  We may not even witness it in our lifetime.

batgirl
theoreticalboy wrote:

(to their eternal shame)

:-D

JeffGreen333
Monster_with_no_Name wrote:

If a player cant make a legal move, his clock should be left to run out. (this is the logical conclusion when you take all the other rules into consideration) He cornered himself, commited suicide, he doesnt get a free pass. I cant choose to pass my turn at other times.

All too often in blitz with 10 seconds left and about to queen some disaster happens where the guy cant move and he is dominated. Logical things to do: lets give him 1/2 a point ??

To all the fools who want to comment: "your saying this because you drew a blitz game" of course it is you fool. But more to the point, also because stalemate is not a logical rule.

Please also do not say it is my fault that I let it happen. It is you who cant move, that is your fault. I can still move.

Yet another example of why blitz isn't real chess.  If you had more time, you could easily avoid the stalemate.  So, my solution is that stalemate stays and blitz should be abolished.  :)

JeffGreen333
JeffGreen333 wrote:

Yet another example of why blitz isn't real chess.  If you had more time, you could easily avoid the stalemate.  So, my solution is that stalemate stays and blitz should be abolished.  :)

And yes, if you abolished stalemate, then all endgame theory would have to be re-written.  Since the endgame is the one of the most important phases of a "real" chess game and many middlegame strategies are based on trading down to a winning endgame and blitz all but eliminates the need to learn endgame theory, because you rarely get down to an endgame in such a short game, blitz should be abolished.  Case closed.  :)  

Monster_with_no_Name
nameno1had wrote:
Kens_Mom wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

If it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

If you don't know how to use it, I suggest reading the instructions...

He knows how to use it.  He just doesn't like how it works, so he wants to change it.

If someone finds something user friendly, they won't want it changed. The reason anyone wants the stalemate gone is because, they can't mindlessly try to play totally offensively, without consequense.

That's actually funny, that they don't realize their own play is too offensive for them....lol

To all of you who want the stalemate gone, you are offended more by your own play than the rule. If your play never put you in the situation, you wouldn't care.

Don't you see what your tactics, you put on a pedistal get you, without the other parts of chess that are required? You play in an unbalanced manner.Try some defense and positional play.

Using a less narrow minded strategy, so you can see all of the benefits of prophylactic chess thinking while you play, is far better than using one facet of chess, that will not get you past this simple problem.

Please read post #16 and stop posting your drivel of WHY YOU THINK I want the rules changed.
Kens mum should probably stop too, just repeating like a parrot on lsd.

nameno1had
nameno1had wrote:
Kens_Mom wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

If it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

If you don't know how to use it, I suggest reading the instructions...

He knows how to use it.  He just doesn't like how it works, so he wants to change it.

If someone finds something user friendly, they won't want it changed. The reason anyone wants the stalemate gone is because, they can't mindlessly try to play totally offensively, without consequense.

That's actually funny, that they don't realize their own play is too offensive for them....lol

To all of you who want the stalemate gone, you are offended more by your own play than the rule. If your play never put you in the situation, you wouldn't care.

Don't you see what your tactics, you put on a pedistal get you, without the other parts of chess that are required? You play in an unbalanced manner.Try some defense and positional play.

Using a less narrow minded strategy, so you can see all of the benefits of prophylactic chess thinking while you play, is far better than using one facet of chess, that will not get you past this simple problem.

Please read post #16 and stop posting your drivel of WHY YOU THINK I want the rules changed.

I think it is absurd for you to expect me to read every post in thread before I start posting my opinions with regard to the thread title or the original post. I wasn't singling you out, I was posting in response to the general complaint, but it still applies to you. 

After your comment about trying to justify allowing your opponent into a position that they had no legal move, as if it is the fault of the rules, I wanted to help you see your misguided thinking.

If you let someone take away your ability to checkmate them, it is "your" fault, not the fault of the rules. No where in the chess rules does it prevent someone from checkmating anyone else. This isn't boxing, there aren't judges. If you don't like the rules, get better or don't play. It is simple. Not playing the absurdity of bullet chess would help.

BTW, I don't really care why you think the rule should be changed. I was here to comment on why I think it shouldn't be changed. What I think is far more important to me than what you think. It isn't that I think my opinion is necessarily better in general, but because I am more dependent on what I think, than what you think.

Kens_Mom

I realize that I am repeating myself, though part of that is because you still haven't answered my question.  Regardless, action is dying down in this thread so I'll try to make less posts in here from this point on, if at all.

I hope you got some closure to your stalemate issue from reading the posts in this thread and understood why most people don't want the stalemate rule to be changed.

TheGrobe
Estragon wrote:

No, his plan is to win support by insulting people and generally showing what a stupid child he is.

Hey, it's easier than actually having a rational discussion about the merits of an idea with those who have opposing views.

TheGrobe
Kens_Mom wrote:

I realize that I am repeating myself, though part of that is because you still haven't answered my question.  Regardless, action is dying down in this thread so I'll try to make less posts in here from this point on, if at all.

I hope you got some closure to your stalemate issue from reading the posts in this thread and understood why most people don't want the stalemate rule to be changed.

Agree -- repetition is a perfectly rational response to a question that is being dodged.

TheGrobe

Same idiotic topic put up by the same idiot.

Monster with no shame.

batgirl

It's not the topic that the problem.  Any topic should be able to be discussed or debated.  The problem is that the OP considers his opinon not just unassailable but too pristine to oppose. His reponse to anyone who dares to oppose his view, or even to examine and elaborate on possibilities not to his liking, has mainly been name-calling, nose-thumbing, insults and chest-thumping. Such actions by the originator generates non-constuctive replies and a worthless thread. 

bigpoison
TheGrobe wrote:
Estragon wrote:

No, his plan is to win support by insulting people and generally showing what a stupid child he is.

Hey, it's easier than actually having a rational discussion about the merits of an idea with those who have opposing views.

I'm not even sure who to oppose in this thread.

They are all so damned smrt.

zxzyz

So K + p vs K = Trivial win?

R + K vs K = easy win for beginner player who now accidentally stalemates.

Huge change to endgame for sure  .... This no stalemate rule has been suggested along with making 3 move repetition illegal or a loss for the person repeating the position for the 3rd time. A very poor variant and doubtful if anyone would want to play it.

Looks to me like this new rule takes AWAY rather than ADD to the beauty of chess. 

BTW - the rule is entirely logical. A player can complete his turn if he has any legal move available. Thus, in the case of checkmate his king is under attack and surrounded and in the case of stalemate he does not need to move -- sort of equivalent where the palace is surrounded, the kingdom is lost but the king escaped. 

So entirely logical.

TheGrobe

Let's not forget the profound impact on the idiomatic use of the word "Stalemate".

MyCowsCanFly

Former wife?

batgirl

"the kingdom is lost but the king escaped."

Wonderful way to express it!

nameno1had

I think the following ideas from particular cultures have helped to shape chess as we know it, contributing to the stalemate rule.

1) Kings not killing kings

2)Instead of bringing dishonor upon one's self,not killing a defenseless king, when his army and kingdom are gone, so he can instead live with the dishonor

3) A king not being able to make a choice(move) that ends him, for the good of his kingdom/army

Kens_Mom
batgirl wrote:

"the kingdom is lost but the king escaped."

Wonderful way to express it!

I've read somewhere in the chess.com forums that a stalemate is just a necessary condition for the stalemated king to place an impenetrable and immobile force field around it, after which it becomes an untouchable piece.  I always preferred this explanation to most others since I really like the idea that the game of chess took place in a magical, high fantasy setting.  I think Battle Chess had the queen represented as a powerful sorceress.