Forums

The new rule for beginners

Sort:
cigoL

hessmaster, you are - also - not getting the point. Did you blunder those pieces away? I suggested this rule for beginners, meaning players rated something like 1200 and below here on Chess.com.

GeordiLaForge

This is so dumb.

x47humanoid

to  StefanHansenDanmark        sorry its just a bad example deal with it and stop listening to every rndom comment.

NimzoRoy

StefanHansenDanmark I'll have to admit your english is way better than my Danish (which is non-existent), I did check out your profile & saw you were in the US, so I ASSumed you were a native speaker - sorry! (I do admire anyone who is bi-lingual BTW)

Your idea is still totally bogus, try getting some FMs/NMs/IMs/GMs interested in it and see what happens. FM Eric Schiller,  GM Gserper WIM energia, WGM Natalia_Pogonina and several others write articles for this site, see what they have to say.

BTW here's how Babylon translated your sentence (the 2nd sentence here appears to be bungled or else it's using a Danish idiom that doesn't translate very well): We can continue this line in Danish, if you want. I wonder who will end up with that low as many as Batons and typing mistake?

cigoL

Haha! Funny translation. Smile 

Let me tell you "a secret" about GM's: they might not be good teachers, and might not know much about how people learn. 

Let me give the typical example: who would you rather step in a boxing ring with, Mike Tyson or his coach? I assume the answer is not Mike Tyson. And who would you prefer teaching you boxing, Mike Tyson or his coach? 

Tyson is/was a great boxer. Chess GM's are/were great chess players. However, there is no guarantee a great boxer or GM is a great teacher. This is an often forgotten point.

RCTurner

Stefan, I think it is always good to try new things. I doubt that this will catch on. It is a rather artificial rule. I would find it quite frustrating. My somewhat limited knowledge of learning and teaching suggests that the main way most people learn is to do something. Just let beginners play chess, that is the best way for most people.

Baldr

A rule change isn't necessary. 

If the beginner who blunders feels that the game is hopeless since he's down a knight (or a rook, or whatever) he can resign.  That's already in the rules.

It's my opinion that beginners shouldn't resign, because if they never play the game out to mate, they aren't going to learn how to checkmate.  

NimzoRoy

Stefan so what was the correct translation? Is there a Danish idiom involved? Inquiring minds want to know...

As for teaching beginners chess, nothing personal but IMHO H. G. Wells has way more insight into this subject than you do

http://wargamerscott.tripod.com/swordandshield/id11.html

Skwerly

it's a horrible rule, because material doesn't matter if there's a mate on the board, and 3-4 moves isn't enough to prove there isn't. 

Kratix
NimzoRoy wrote:

Stefan so what was the correct translation? Is there a Danish idiom involved? Inquiring minds want to know...

As for teaching beginners chess, nothing personal but IMHO H. G. Wells has way more insight into this subject than you do

http://wargamerscott.tripod.com/swordandshield/id11.html

"NimzoRoy, we can continue this thread in Danish, if you want. I wonder who is going to end up making the most mispellings and typos, then?"