x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

The problem with warzone,arena etc...

  • #1

    Should there really be tournaments that are more like lotteries than skill. No other kind of tournament can you win all your games and not be first or if your opponent decided to can forcibly make you lose the tournament by taking the maximum time each move. (Most know there openings for the first few moves so they'll add time by blitzing through those) rankings are naturally arena formatted anyway so what's the point of having arena tournaments

  • #2

    The main point is to get in a bunch of games in a short period of time.

  • #3

    I know I just pointed out how legal cheating can take place and indeed does

  • #4

    If a bunch of average to low players all determined not to see the highest rated win they can do a old form of cheating but refine it. Agree to play fast against one another then take maximum time against the highest rated player

  • #5
    Jklenear wrote:

    I know I just pointed out how legal cheating can take place and indeed does

    Legal cheating?  If the game is a 5|0, you agree to a 10-minute game.  It is not cheating for them to take all 5 minutes.

  • #6

    You missed the point entirely

  • #7
    Jklenear wrote:

    You missed the point entirely

    The point is you are complaining about people not playing blitz as if it was bullet in an completely optional feature.

  • #8

    Still no but nice try

  • #9

    The arena format awards playing more games. So, if you go into it planning on winning the event, then slower players certainly can limit your chances. However, if you go into it to play games, then it doesn't really matter, since you know in advance how much time each game can take and how long the event lasts.

     

    That format is more ideal for very short time controls. But there is nothing one can do when someone decides to use all their time in a game, short of the site doing some kind of maximum time per move option.

     

    Plus, the arena format allows players to come and go as they want. You're not set to a set schedule and can join after it starts, leave early and even rejoin later.

  • #10
    Jklenear wrote:

    Still no but nice try

    Of course, the massive irony - you are complaining about something you have not actually played in.  It is the equivalent to:

    You:  "Vanilla Ice Cream is boring"
    X:  "Have you tried it?"
    You:  "No, but I just know it is boring ..."

  • #11

    I actually have but not here on here on chess.com the idea is years old now and not new but again nice try

  • #12

    @stahl so I'm a bit confused. The goal is to still win as many games and best chances of doing that is to stay out throughout the tournament in which case others of not everyone else will so this which again to me makes it more of a lottery and a opportunity were players can for the context of the air legally cheat

  • #13

    You are assuming collusion in the format, when there may not be any such thing. Sure it's possible. If someone doesn't like the idea, they don't have to play the events. There are still normal swiss style events as well, more now than when the Arena events were implemented, though certainly less than before.

     

    I'm sure the site will find some happy middle ground where there aren't a ton of cancelled events due to lack of players and arena events co-exist.

  • #14
    Jklenear wrote:

    I actually have but not here on here on chess.com the idea is years old now and not new but again nice try

    So, you are complaining about "legal cheating" (collusion) in an optional feature where the event earns you no reward (other than maybe a nice little popup saying "Congratulations") when you have not tried said feature on the site you are registering the complaint?  We are all aware it is not a "new idea" and that other sites have had it for quite a while.  Why are you bothering to register a complaint here when you do not appear to play any live games on this site?  Do you typically go to Olive Garden to complain about the food at Cheesecake Factory?

  • #15

    If you actually pay attention you'd see I'm talking ab9ut the format as a whole which is obvious. Trying to keep up a argument because you realize what your saying is ignorant isnt smart, it's also very ignorant what's your point of commenting if you have no valid points

  • #16
    Jklenear wrote:

    If you actually pay attention you'd see I'm talking ab9ut the format as a whole which is obvious. Trying to keep up a argument because you realize what your saying is ignorant isnt smart, it's also very ignorant what's your point of commenting if you have no valid points

    Apparently you are too dim to realize what I've been pointing out, so I will spell it out for you:  your entire complaint is asinine.

  • #17

    Just proved my point. Your pointless to argue with. Get off my forum if it bothers you so much

  • #18

    I tried Arena. It was idiotic. I defeated the person who finished first, but someone higher rated joined late and beat me twice while never facing the person who won the thing. 

    Arena is worse than a lottery. A high rated player can come in and destroy the whole point of the thing just by showing up late. 

  • #19

    Yes the there's really no competitive point to it.

Top

Online Now