Forums

Too old to improve?

Sort:
superiorbeing

General health has a lot more to do with learning ability than age.  Most older people who have trouble learning are usually in poor health. 

AlCzervik

Holy cow, folks! We just heard from a superior being! He/she (it?) must be right!

e4nf3

Here's the thing...

I played chess as a teenager. I read books. There were no computers back then. I studied, practiced...and I would usually win (this was casual, not tournament, so I'm not bragging).

Today, after a 40 year vacation (mostly) from chess, I am a better play than the young fellow I was.

This is because for the last two years, I have been studying/practicing about two hours per day (and I know that that isn't so much by those who are far better at chess than I am).

I didn't have the time to do this back then. Also, I am older and wiser in ways that give me some advantages.

If some of you guys in your 30ies or 40ies think you are getting dim witted...maybe you are right, in your case.

Hell, some people are so dim witted that they should never have taken up chess in the first place. (lol) 

Now that I've just insulted more than half the people here...I gotta run.Innocent

AndyClifton
TMIMITW wrote:

Holy cow, folks! We just heard from a superior being! He/she (it?) must be right!

The woods are full of em around here (just ask sapientdust).

AndyClifton
TonyH wrote:

I asked a local master if Reshvesky, who was in his 80s at that time, was any good still since he was about 2300 at the time but no where near the strength he was at his prime. 

I find it a bit hard to believe that Reshevsky's rating ever got that low...

PatzerLars

You're never too old, until you die.

AndyClifton

And then you're just old enough.

AndyClifton

cabadenwurt

Info on Reshevsky from Chess Life ( Nov.2011 ). In 1990, at age 79, he played in the US Open held in Jacksonville. He went 7 out of 9 there, including a Draw against IM John Donaldson. By this time he may well have forgotten more about Chess than most players could ever hope to learn  lol.   

TonyH

not maybe, definitely!! Laughing he was simply one of the best.

RichColorado

Too old to improve @ chess? Or too old to learn anything?

I just learned the basics to make and design web pages. I'm learning new Css, html5 programing and javascript.

I'm learning cosmology, physics and writing. I'm only 74 years old and my brain is probably half empty or half full.

I don't think you ever get to old to learn chess. It's mostly repeatability of what works and what doesn't work.

You just have to retain it. But if you can't remember it, write it down.

goldendog
TonyH wrote:

An interesting story. Back in the 80s when I first started to play against serious players I asked a local master if Reshvesky, who was in his 80s at that time, was any good still since he was about 2300 at the time

2300? No, you're way off. The last rating for Sammy, 1991, is 2415 FIDE according to my megabase.

e4nf3

Good to know.

billwall

See my article on older chess players.

http://www.chess.com/article/view/older-chess-players

TonyH

it was USCF rating he was fairly inactive at the time and didnt play many FIDE events but I clearly remember 2300ish ( wonder if i can dig up old uscf rating lists sometime at the club) Which is why I brought up the question to the master.  its been a few decades so the exact timing I am not sure of but the rating is irrelevent anyway...

AndyClifton

Reshevsky's lowest USCF rating was 2426 (he got it back up to nearly 2500 btw just before he died).

And at the age of 70 Sammy almost won the US Championship.

Kingpatzer

Comparing performance capabilities between someone who did something seriously their whole life and was very, very good at it with someone who at most dabbled in the same area as they age is sophistry and fully misses the point. 

AndyClifton

So what's the deal?  You have something against sophistry?

DrawMaster

An interesting book I once read: Chess Master ... at Any Age. The hill is much tougher to climb at an advanced age, but not insurmountable, it would seem. However, I have pretty much given up and resigned myself to living in the valley as the sun sets in the west. Smile

AndyClifton

I find myself sliding down off the hill more and more of late...