What is the function of a chess second?

  • #1

    ?

  • #2

    Seconds are used in the context of a one-on-one match at classical time controls. Main functions:

     

    1. Research opponent

     

    2. Prepare opening repertoire

     

    3. Adjournment analysis (no longer relevant)

  • #3

    Do they get paid?

  • #4
    mattattack99 wrote:

    Do they get paid?


    I've never heard money discussed but always assumed that they would be (perhaps a share of the purse or state sponsored {e.g. USSR}), because a second's duties will last months.

  • #5

    A chess second functions as a measurement of time in a chess game.

  • #6
    mattattack99 wrote:

    Do they get paid?


    How would they eat otherwise?

  • #7

    Ben Finegold describes his function as Nakamura's second at the Tal Memorial.

    http://www.stlbeacon.org/voices/blogs/on-chess/114396-finegold-mission-to-moscow

  • #8
    TadDude wrote:
    mattattack99 wrote:

    Do they get paid?


    How would they eat otherwise?


    Maybe Nakamura provides the food.

  • #9

    Laughing

  • #10

    Who was Kasparov's second? Imagine having access to his database of opening theory.

  • #11

    If the first player dies it's up to the second to finish their chess commitments.

  • #12
    mattattack99 wrote:
    TadDude wrote:
    mattattack99 wrote:

    Do they get paid?


    How would they eat otherwise?


    Maybe Nakamura provides the food.


     

    Think again.

     

  • #13

    Timoshenko was one, and he was accused of tipping Karpov off as to Kaspy's opening prep in their drawn match.

    Did I remember all that correctly? Was it from Waitzkin's Mortal Games?

  • #14
    goldendog wrote:

    Timoshenko was one, and he was accused of tipping Karpov off as to Kaspy's opening prep in their drawn match.

    Did I remember all that correctly? Was it from Waitzkin's Mortal Games?


    The match that was aborted; or the one that ended tied 12-12?

  • #15

    12-12

  • #16

    Sounds like the chess version of Bagger Vance.

  • #17

    It was Vladimirov, not Timoshenko. It was the third match, won by Kasparov.

  • #18

    Another important duty of the second is to dispatch his/her first on any show of cowardice ... such as 1.d4.

  • #19

    Do any OTB clocks have a bonus time feature?

  • #20

    I think you can set the digital ones for something like that. If the player complete x number of moves, they each get x number of minutes added to their time.

Top
or Join

Online Now