Forums

which kind are you?

Sort:
qpalzm-blue

What kind of chess player are you mainly? positional or tactical?
(im positional) 

trysts

I'm positional. But, I really think now, that "positional" is the "genus", while "tactical" is the "species"...

skogli

Both, I try to play what the position demands.

qpalzm-blue

would you rather do a pin or develop a piece?

Maeda

I'm absolutely horrible at both. If tactics and positional chess are two sides to the same coin, I must only use paper money.

I'm also terrible at jokes.

qpalzm-blue

ok then...

shapeofaroom

He did say "mainly"... I do think that everyone has a general preference for either sharp or quiet positions, and that's what the OP was going for - obviously you need to have both to be a good player, but there's definitely a preference that most players have..

I myself am more of a "tactical" player - I tend to find quiet positions dull.. I need some action!

qpalzm-blue

Ok

fianchetto123

I am definitely a tactical player...there's nothing better than a 17-move combination with 5 different lines springing off of every move, culminating in the creation of a better outpost for the light square bishop...

Or am I exaggerating?

VanillaKnightPOC

Erm...neither.

ivandh

I like positional games. They are much more artful.

entropyfan2

A good position leads to favorable tactical exchanges

atarw

Doesnt matter. See, when 1700 and down player face a computer, they will be losing by move 20 ish. Find 20 best moves, and if I am winning, I think I can round up the point from there.

The first 6-8 moves are openings: 12 left, 4-5 are taken up by "strategic motifs", e.g: pushing g4 h4 in dragon, and then voila!, 7 moves to go!

Think you can play like Houdini for 7 moves?

ivandh
DaBigOne wrote:

Doesnt matter. See, when 1700 and down player face a computer, they will be losing by move 20 ish. Find 20 best moves, and if I am winning, I think I can round up the point from there.

The first 6-8 moves are openings: 12 left, 4-5 are taken up by "strategic motifs", e.g: pushing g4 h4 in dragon, and then voila!, 7 moves to go!

Think you can play like Houdini for 7 moves?

Meth I'm guessing.

Conflagration_Planet

Neither.

Zaxso

Impractical.

Grobzilla

Sac Sac Mate

DrSpudnik

Sac Sac Resign.

Zaxso

ragequit

VanillaKnightPOC

Shuffle, shuffle, hang material, resign.