Forums

Who will win the 2013 world championship? Anand or Carlsen?

Sort:
Ziryab

Carlsen starts with White. He's gonna play 1.Nf3.

royalbishop

Anand Alfredo, do not know how that sounds or taste. Anand retires and tries his hand at cooking.

DelayedResponse

Hey, Garry Kasparov was on the news because he wanted citizenship for some country (forgot which one it was). At least chess is getting some publicity for something OTHER than the World Championship. Tongue Out

varelse1

Or geting arrested

ekorbdal

Why speculate? All you have to do is look at the bookmakers' odds...couldn't possibly  be more simple than that!

john456852

LOL

DelayedResponse

Odds are dumb. They are all speculation, just like what we are doing. So how is it going to help us understand any better?

varelse1

Odds and ratings are both dumb.

At least, that what all Anand fans been telling me for the last 6 months now.

blitzjoker

And Carlsen is rubbish at tactics, we all know that.  Anand will blow him away. Wink

nameno1had
manfredmann wrote:
sapientdust wrote:
jovanu wrote:

Anand is the best because he is older, and he played more games than karlson.  

Yep, and Korchnoi (at age 82) is better than Anand, so he should actually be World Champion.

LOL. I'm a Korchnoi fan, but this is over the top.

I was actually impressed with 62 year old Anatoly Karpov, who still has a rating well over 2600 and still plays sometimes. It makes me wonder what he would have in the tank for one last epic match play with someone...

MrDamonSmith

8 hours and 21 minutes away!!!!

beardogjones

I think Anand has the advantage being black in the first game. Carlsen may have to press or  give Anand a 6-5 color advantage going forward!

rooperi

I think the sequence changes after the 6th game.

So, Anand starts AND finishes with Black, if I ubderstand correctly. I think that favours Carlsen

beardogjones
rooperi wrote:

I think the sequence changes after the 6th game.

So, Anand starts AND finishes with Black, if I ubderstand correctly. I think that favours Carlsen

Thanks for the info - makes sense and will be interesting....

Perseus82

When Gelfand won the World Cup to earn the right to challenge Anand for the World Championship Title last year, he was by no means the favorite as far as the rating is concerned. Nevertheless he does it, and even give Anand a hell of scare in their match. Carlsen's rating may be vastly distant from Anand's but you can never underestimate experience.

Perseus82

Carlsen is an exceptionally strong player and may be the greatest of the two, but i have a feeling that Anand will win this match.

gaereagdag

Carlsen by 2 pts. It is his time.

This match reminds me a bit of Capablanca against Lasker. Lasker was the oldish stager but Capablanca had too much energy.

nameno1had
linuxblue1 wrote:

Carlsen by 2 pts. It is his time.

This match reminds me a bit of Capablanca against Lasker. Lasker was the oldish stager but Capablanca had too much energy.

The irony for me, when I read your statement is that, after looking at a few of Lasker's games, in which he destroyed his opponent's, he seemed unbeatable to me. Lasker's domination of his opponent's reminds me of Anand, with the black pieces, against Aronian at Tata Steel. To think that a young upstart could upstage him seems unlikely but, as you have said it so well, it is a quite similar situation and possibility...

DelayedResponse

First game was drawn by agreement!

SmyslovFan

Well, yeah. But they agreed to repeat. Either player could have chosen not to repeat the position without a fear of losing.