Forums

Chess.com steals $193 from you from a free trial

Sort:
braininovertime

Imagine being me, trying out a free trial, and then when canceling being asked 'would you like a free month'? Now that was surprising that after a free week they would give a free month. But I assumed that means I canceled and got a month on top, maybe to help me reconsider. Sure, why not. Free is great. Come back a month to check my bank account to see a total of $193 over two transaction charged on my account. One for a yearly membership (diamond) at $169 which I would never choose a yearly membership, and another $29 2 months before this. I sent them an email about this. Surely this is an error. Surely, at the worst, I should be charged a month because that's how much I even used. This was the response.

"

Hello braininovertime -

Nice to meet you! happy.png

I noticed that you tried out the Chess.com Membership. What did you think of it?

I would really appreciate if you wouldn’t mind letting me know why you decided to cancel. We are always looking to improve our service and your feedback helps!

A Chess.com premium membership gets you access to the best chess training tools available anywhere:

Unlimited tactical puzzles (more than half a million)
Videos from top GMs and coaches
Lessons with advice on every move
Drills to practice your endgame
Computer analysis to give feedback after every game

All Premium Plans Include: Endgames, Daily Puzzle Videos, Opening Explorer, Custom Flair, ChessTV, Drills, Club Management, and Time-out Protection for Daily Games.

Do you have any questions I could answer?

Thanks!
Alex
Chess.com Support"

Is this the professionalism of chess.com? It has been more than 1 day since this, nothing else. I went to the forums hoping this would solve something.

Martin_Stahl

Support gets a lot of tickets each day, so a reply could take a little time to respond to your last message as they work through their tickets.

braininovertime
Martin_Stahl wrote:

Support gets a lot of tickets each day, so a reply could take a little time to respond to your last message as they work through their tickets.

Hello, sorry for that, it's just that that email response was sent without any message inside that it was auto-generated. I expected it was auto-generated, but after 1 night and a day I began to not know for sure. I suspected it wasn't and that support just forgot to read the contents of the inquiry, but it is good to confirm that. In the future, such auto generated emails should be clearly marked, as someone older would not suspect it and interpret such messsage as some method of purposely dodging the question, which is especially the frustrating part.

Martin_Stahl

Alex is a staff member and that wasn't autogenerated. Generally speaking, if there's a name associated, it probably wasn't automatic.

n1ckita
braininovertime wrote:

Imagine being me, trying out a free trial, and then when canceling being asked 'would you like a free month'? Now that was surprising that after a free week they would give a free month. But I assumed that means I canceled and got a month on top, maybe to help me reconsider. Sure, why not. Free is great. Come back a month to check my bank account to see a total of $193 over two transaction charged on my account. One for a yearly membership (diamond) at $169 which I would never choose a yearly membership, and another $29 2 months before this. I sent them an email about this. Surely this is an error. Surely, at the worst, I should be charged a month because that's how much I even used. This was the response.

"

Hello braininovertime -

Nice to meet you!

I noticed that you tried out the Chess.com Membership. What did you think of it?

I would really appreciate if you wouldn’t mind letting me know why you decided to cancel. We are always looking to improve our service and your feedback helps!

A Chess.com premium membership gets you access to the best chess training tools available anywhere:

All Premium Plans Include: Endgames, Daily Puzzle Videos, Opening Explorer, Custom Flair, ChessTV, Drills, Club Management, and Time-out Protection for Daily Games.

Thanks!
Alex
Chess.com Support"

Is this the professionalism of chess.com? It has been more than 1 day since this, nothing else. I went to the forums hoping this would solve something.

I think there was some kind of bug or something because a lot if people are going thru the exact same thing including myself. I know this means theyre going to get a LOT of tickets though and Im just trying not to be that annoying customer. But I know exactly what youre feeling dude Im sure they’ll get around to both of us eventually they have a good reputation for that.

braininovertime
n1ckita wrote:
braininovertime wrote:

"

Hello braininovertime -

Nice to meet you!

Thanks!
Alex
Chess.com Support"

I think there was some kind of bug or something because a lot if people are going thru the exact same thing including myself. I know this means theyre going to get a LOT of tickets though and Im just trying not to be that annoying customer. But I know exactly what youre feeling dude Im sure they’ll get around to both of us eventually they have a good reputation for that.

Yeah I know I overreacted tongue.png