Forums

Live Tournaments Now in Public Beta! What do you think?

Sort:
ilmago

The number of rounds for a Swiss tournament must be determined by the number of players present at the beginning of the tournament, of course. Otherwise, there are not enough games played between the players contending for the medal ranks, and the final rankings will not make sense. Don't worry about these medal contenders maybe leaving the tournament early, they will naturally tend to stay in because they are still fighting for the medals, even if some others may already have dropped out.

jtt96

<div class="fquote">
          <span style="font-weight: bold; display: block;">ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:</span>
          <div><p>They should auto-book players from one tournament which would otherwise get cancelled into another tournament which also doesn't have enough players, like the airline industry.</p></div>
        </div><hr class="hrhide" /><p></p>

If the time control, format, etc. are the same. :)

caozhu

The open tournaments were not seldomly held during the last two days due to lack of players! 

caozhu

(Correcting the last post) The open tournaments were seldomly held during the last two days due to lack of players! 

ozzie_c_cobblepot

You know there is an edit button for every post [of yours].

andper

Why did 10|0 rapid tournaments disappear today? I hope it's just a glitch.

[edit] Oh they returned, nevermind. But it's a different timetable now.

vladan7
Sousuke511 wrote:
Vladan88 wrote:
Sousuke511 wrote:

One last thing to comment (actually 2)

Think something needs to be fixed with the rounds, only 5 rounds on what ive seen/asked. Even on a 2/1 tourney with 36 ppl.

And so tourneys have an extra motif... dunno tourney winners could get some extra rating points. Lots of friends have told me, ye they are fun, but thats all there is to it, is same as playing 5 random ppl in a row. So maybe some extra points for 1-2-3 (maybe 15/10/5?)

And ye rating isnt the most important thing... but thats all we can have here as a gain dont we?

This defeats the purpose of rating. Rating estimates your strength, not how many tournaments you win.

Well, you need an incentive for them... also, there is only a way of winning tournaments... by winning games... so dont see what can an extra 15/10/5 points harm... if u get above ur normal rating... ull play stronger ppl... and get hammered down.

I think the icon you get for winning a tournament should be enough of incentive. Chess.com uses Glick rating system, if it's adding 10/15 points is not statistically detrimental to rating system, then it's fine. though, I doubt that .

MrParadox
pawn_eater wrote:

why was the frequency of the tournaments increased when there is already a lack of players? this only makes the problem worse. i cannot find a tournament with enough people in. the vast majority of tournaments get cancelled. i want to play in a large tournament and this cannot happen when they are so frequent.

i totally agree with you.

they should change it back.

tournaments are still fun, but the old ones were better

chrka

Now it seems as if the tournament for a given rating range has too few entrants it gets merged into the open tournament of the same kind.

blowerd

One request I would make is after a tournament has finished and it gives you your own place it also says how many entered the tournament. 

Also not really to do with a tournament format but could the chat box be made a lot bigger. 

And one question if you are watching the top rated game, can the players see other peoples comments? 

caozhu

I just won my first live tournament trophy(3rd place). What's more, it's a 5 round 10|0 game! Finally reach maximum rounds since there are enough participants. I noticed when the tournament ends, there are only 8 people left. Lots of people just withdraw in the process of the tournament. An interesting phenomenon.

Kaxte

Live tournaments are great, but I think a difference of 400 rating points in same tournament is too big. I think 200 points should be better.

Faterson
The overview said "1 minute to tournament start". I clicked "Join" twice; even the "Withdraw" link appeared for me; but the tournament started without me. :-( That happened a few minutes ago with a Standard tournament. No time to wait for another in an hour from now, and I don't consider rapid (let alone blitz) chess "real chess" -- more like a parody of chess. ;)
Kikyo_Sushi

May I know why after my connection got interrupted in a Live Tourney Game juz now  ,when I reconnected back,I cannot continue the Tourney anymore ?

I was playing my second game in Round 2 ( won my first game in Round 1 ) ,it shows,I 'abandoned' ( connection problem/interrupted ) the game,but the Tourney Tab disappeared n' I cannot continue with Round 3 .

Tnx !

RobertPaulson13

hi the live tourns run pretty smooth for me (even with my poor connection :P) but for some reason its either the third or last round that just keeps loading and loading and loading and it never connects me is it just my connection?

Kikyo_Sushi

Can I ask a Question ?

.. Is the 1 Point Bye randomly awarded or how r Players chosen for it to be awarded to ? ( Is it related to Swiss Pairing System ? )

4 Suggestions :

1) Can the info that comes up after each Tourney is over ,plz include the Total Number of Participants/Players so we know ?

2) Can the Alert Sound ( I think currently,it sounds at 1 minute before 'Start Time' ),be different ( kind of sound ) from the Normal Sound of Someone Challenging us ,so we can tell the difference ... and can it also sound 1 or a few seconds before each of our Next Games ( in the Next Rounds ) ,appears ,so we know ?

3) Can we hv the Links/Option to watch All Ongoing Games in Every Round ,instead of juz the 'Top Game' ,whilst waiting for our Next Game ?

.. My 'Games Tab' doesn't show anything at the moment.

4) There is a 'Next Tourney' Tab on top ( right ) corner of our ' Accept Seek Graph' but I think it's quite 'dangerous' to click on it coz once I clicked on it juz to see any Info on it ,but it made me automatically join that Tourney ,so I quickly clicked on 'Withdraw' but the Tourney started that instant ,n' the 1st Round Game appeared n' it said my Opponent Won by Resignation ( I lost 22 pts ) ... maybe there cld be a Warning or something ,to let people know it's for joining ,not viewing info.

Tnx .

DeepGreene

Good suggestions! Thank you.

The byes are awarded in cases where there are an odd number of players, generally, like this...

In round 1, to the lowest-rated player;

In subsequent rounds, to the lowest-scoring player

Of course, you can't get two byes in the same event.

Kikyo_Sushi

Tnx .

Got another Question :

My Connection got interrupted again during my Third Game in Round 3 in a Tourney juz now but when my it says I hv successfully reconnected,this time the Tourney Tab is still there but there don't seem to be any more Games appearing for me tho I waited for a long time .

( I won both my 1st n' 2nd Round Games n' was winning my 3rd Round Game when my Connection got Interrupted /Server Problem )

So,is it possible to continue with our Tourney once this happens or there is no more hope of doing so ?

I wld really like to know so I don't hv to keep waiting for my subsequent Games to appear ,if there's no way to continue on .

( I also can't view the Tourney Results either )

Tnx.

Melodic_Minor

I'd like to thank you for the great tournament function! This was what persuaded me to pay.  My two additional cents, which are like some of those mentioned before:

Don't allow unlimited withdrawals, it spoils tourneys when everybody who loses drops out. I won a tourney today as the only participant in the medals. Nobody else stayed around. We started with about six people. People who withdraw often should be warned, then banned from tournaments.

Make the tournaments less frequent and they will be "worth" more and will attract more people. Not to mention that 3-round 1 0 is reasonably pointless.

Have some tourneys which are billed as important ones, and have somebody administering them live.

Stop deleting mentions of other chess sites. Not wanting spam linking is one thing, but blanket censorship is no good.

Thanks

jtt96
Melodic_Minor wrote:

I'd like to thank you for the great tournament function! This was what persuaded me to pay.  My two additional cents, which are like some of those mentioned before:

Don't allow unlimited withdrawals, it spoils tourneys when everybody who loses drops out. I won a tourney today as the only participant in the medals. Nobody else stayed around. We started with about six people. People who withdraw often should be warned, then banned from tournaments.

Make the tournaments less frequent and they will be "worth" more and will attract more people. Not to mention that 3-round 1 0 is reasonably pointless.

Have some tourneys which are billed as important ones, and have somebody administering them live.

Stop deleting mentions of other chess sites. Not wanting spam linking is one thing, but blanket censorship is no good.

Thanks

Agreed.