Forums

Resigning When Defeat Is Certain

Sort:
c145h

Why do players quit as soon as their queen is taken and/or when they know they're losing ? Either way it is still a loss for them. Why don't they just take their lumps and see if they can make a comeback in the game? I've had my queen taken many times but that didn't stop me from giving my all.

UnratedGamesOnly

Knowing when to resign is part of getting better at chess.

whirlwind2011
[COMMENT DELETED]
ChessisGood

Here is the rule on resignation: "Resign when you know your opponent knows how to win, and will do so."

c145h

If a player resigns when they are down a queen and/or losing it takes the vigor out of a match. I expect to play a person for how long it takes until one of us comes out on top triumphant-not when that person resigns as a desperation measure. It just doesn't look good.

BobbyDana024

if i'm going to lose anyway , i might as well lose without a fight . it's called saving time & energy . there's no point in continuing a fight you'll lose . 

Seraphimity
c145h wrote:

Why do players quit as soon as their queen is taken and/or when they know they're losing ? Either way it is still a loss for them. Why don't they just take their lumps and see if they can make a comeback in the game? I've had my queen taken many times but that didn't stop me from giving my all.

maybe they see something you don't.  I resign alot and wish my oppenents would to much of the time.  In general I try not sleepwalk away a 12 point advantage.  Not that it hasn't happened.  For me its about honor, I play hard and know when to go home

AndyClifton

more!  more!!

Seraphimity

can someone lose a won game sure.. is it still a victory to achieve a won position against a better play but then lose?  for me their is one single moment that defines a game of chess, beyond that its merely pushing the wood.  Perhaps when Im into all the books and more chess proffesional I do 100% grindouts just to improve my endgame. . .

AndyClifton

Keep on going with this!  We're gonna solve this thing once and for all!

c145h

I don't think there is much to really solve. If it is a habit for someone to resign games in which they have bad position  it just reveals character- it reveals who you are as a chess player and it translates into your life beyond the screen of a computer.

AndyClifton

lol...whuh?

waffllemaster
c145h wrote:

I don't think there is much to really solve. If it is a habit for someone to resign games in which they have bad position  it just reveals character- it reveals who you are as a chess player and it translates into your life beyond the screen of a computer.

Just a heads up, 99% of professional and strong amateur tournament games end in resignation due to a bad position.

waffllemaster

I was checkmated once in a tournament game, but I let it happen... played on a piece down just in case, then suddenly there was a mate in 2, so I thought why not let him have it.  We had a laugh about it afterward :p

AndyClifton

So apparently resigning reveals that you are good. Smile

Seraphimity

well I for one,, erp.. think there is a big differnce between a "bad position" and a lost position.   But if, and especially if, Im playing a much higher rated player and really have them against the ropes and can see that they are playing for a draw.. yea all twelve rounds baby Ima make it hurt.. lol I love chess

waffllemaster

Yes, the better you are, the earlier and more often you resign!

lol

AndyClifton

Furthermore, it does translate into the rest of your life too:  you give up sooner on so many other things. Smile

waffllemaster

Even a fool knows to come in out of the rain...

or something like that.

AndyClifton

Unless he's John Lennon.