Forums

Why Abort?

Sort:
Andnar

I've aborted several times because my opponent would not move. I've waited 3-5 minutes, and no response from them.

browni3141
IMDeviate wrote:

IP blocking is an epic FAIL.

First, if you are connecting from your local Starbucks, public library, internet cafe or other public hotspot you have now caused all other potential users to be blocked.

If you connect from work, now all your co-workers will be blocked as well. This might be a good thing, but if you're working night shift and have nothing to do but pick your nose most of the shift it'd be cool to be able to play chess. Obviously businesses can't change their ip address easily especially if they are running a mail or other type of server.

If you connect from home, changing your ip address is about as quick and easy as a trip to the bathroom.

IP banning also punishes totally innocent people who "inherit" an IP address which has been previously been banned.

FAIL!

I agree with all that you say. I've also heard that changing an IP address is easy, but that was in C++ forum.

browni3141
qwn34 wrote:

I use to abort games for some reasons:

- players that I have been played before

- due to some "strange" user names

- I avoid players from some countries

- sometimes no reasons.

However, aborting a game I don't find it as an offense, unless the options for selecting your opponent will be improved.

Are you kidding me? I don't know what to call that except childish. Someone's nationality doesn't define them, and even if it did, it doesn't matter, we're here to play chess.

Samantha

Where is the "harm" in aborting ?.

rogerkchess
DementedLogician wrote:

well, I mean sometimes my mouse slips and I play Ke2 instead of Bc4...

then I have to abort.

sorry, but this is a lame excuse…if you're playing in a real tournment and touch a piece, you must move it, you can't say, b-b-but I meant to move the other piece

rogerkchess

This new abort policy seems a little paternalistic to me; calling it a “Fair Play Policy,” however, shows a talent for rhetoric. Have you ever thought of running for political office?

qwn34
browni3141 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:

- sometimes no reasons.

However, aborting a game I don't find it as an offense, unless the options for selecting your opponent will be improved.

Are you kidding me? I don't know what to call that except childish. Someone's nationality doesn't define them, and even if it did, it doesn't matter, we're here to play chess.

Yes, we are here to play chess but we also must have the right at choose our opponents as long we don't play tournaments. You must accept the fact that people are different and they have different opinions.

If you say I am not right, that means you are exactly like me - too radical.

qwn34
RoseQueen1985 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:
SparrowChess2010 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:

- sometimes no reasons.

I don't think any single one of those reasons can justify the abortion of a game. You can already see the rating, nationality and username of the people that have active seeks in the game-graph, so isnstead of making your own seeks, enter existing ones.

You may have right, however since the new rules were applied I have aborted 2 or 3 times because the computer selected the same players I have been played before. Sometimes I have a big advantage but the opponent doesn't want to resign, so I have to finish the game and either I loose my concentration, or I have poor connection and I loose on time. An then I must play again with them? No thanks.

It must be developed a fair play rating (based on computer analysis, not on users "like" or "dislike") and then you can choose your opponents with more accuracy.

There is one more thing should be solved. If for example if I am banned, I can delete my account and create a new one in a few minutes, so the "villains" will remain on chess.com further. I have been deleted my account several times and create new ones just because I was angry loosing a game with a weaker opponent...

It should be allowed to make only one time one user from one IP address and then you will see some improvements in fair play.

I have also accounts to other chess sites, they have some nice features but so far chess.com remains my favorite one.

one of the saddest and most pathetic statements I've ever read here.

you right, after I delete my accounts I could not stop crying for whole day

rogerkchess
Samantha wrote:

Where is the "harm" in aborting ?.

You're right, they call it “harming your opponent.” I see no harm.

kco

try both.

rogerkchess
SparrowChess2010 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:

- sometimes no reasons.

I don't think any single one of those reasons can justify the abortion of a game. You can already see the rating, nationality and username of the people that have active seeks in the game-graph, so isnstead of making your own seeks, enter existing ones.

Sparrow... I think all of gwn34's reasons are justifiable for aborting  games. It's only a chess game. Next thing you know, you will be telling me I shouldn't consider how a person looks, or their religon, or how much money they have, or their gender if I want to get married. Again, it is only a chess game, and it doesn't have the weight and consequences of governmental prejudices. 

qwn34
AnthonyCG wrote:
qwn34 wrote:
RoseQueen1985 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:
SparrowChess2010 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:

- sometimes no reasons.

You may have right, however since the new rules were applied I have aborted 2 or 3 times because the computer selected the same players I have been played before. Sometimes I have a big advantage but the opponent doesn't want to resign, so I have to finish the game and either I loose my concentration, or I have poor connection and I loose on time. An then I must play again with them? No thanks.

It must be developed a fair play rating (based on computer analysis, not on users "like" or "dislike") and then you can choose your opponents with more accuracy.

There is one more thing should be solved. If for example if I am banned, I can delete my account and create a new one in a few minutes, so the "villains" will remain on chess.com further. I have been deleted my account several times and create new ones just because I was angry loosing a game with a weaker opponent...

It should be allowed to make only one time one user from one IP address and then you will see some improvements in fair play.

I have also accounts to other chess sites, they have some nice features but so far chess.com remains my favorite one.

Sarcasm works best when the statement is unbeliveable...

What I want to point here is not the fact I have delete my account. I was given an example and you have take it as a STATEMENT???

So, for any reason a person should not be allowed to create as many users he want and I have given my solution on this. Now, because you have bothered me, I will delete my account again and create a new one. And I will keep doing this until something will be changed. Then, you will may not have the chance to read such "sad statements".

qwn35
qwn34 wrote:
AnthonyCG wrote:
qwn34 wrote:
RoseQueen1985 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:
SparrowChess2010 wrote:
qwn34 wrote:

- sometimes no reasons.

Sarcasm works best when the statement is unbeliveable...

What I want to point here is not the fact I have delete my account. I was given an example and you have take it as a STATEMENT???

So, for any reason a person should not be allowed to create as many users he want and I have given my solution on this. Now, because you have bothered me, I will delete my account again and create a new one. And I will keep doing this until something will be changed. Then, you will may not have the chance to read such "sad statements".

Hi, this is me again with a new user from another country. By the way, this should be also fixed.

deeMannn

I like to play 30 minute games.  If it takes me 15 minutes to move then so be it, but in the same game if it takes you 2 minutes then you win on time.  So i think its unfair for someone to want to make you move quickly if you are not ready.  You understand the time limit you have when you start the game.  To abort a game for anything, i think is unfair to your opponent.  If you don't want to wait or you have something to do; the only honorable thing to do is to resign.  Period.

Samantha
deeMannn wrote:

To abort a game for anything, i think is unfair to your opponent.  

In what way "unfair" ?

kco
Samantha wrote:
deeMannn wrote:

To abort a game for anything, i think is unfair to your opponent.  

In what way "unfair" ?

Then how is it "fair" to abort ?

TheGrobe

There are situations where it's entirely understandable to abort.

It's certainly fair to allow aborts for a delayed start -- no longer an issue.

It's entirely understandable for someone to abort due to some kind of emergency.

Samantha

I do not say that it is fair. I ask only in what way it is unfair.

pauloalexabreu

Maybe you should add a feature to add an optional delay between a move and the move submission to server. This could be be a default value and override before the first move.

Sometimes I make a wrong move due to a drag and drop problem.

With this option I would be able to correct that move.

pauloalexabreu
rogerkchess wrote:
DementedLogician wrote:

well, I mean sometimes my mouse slips and I play Ke2 instead of Bc4...

then I have to abort.

sorry, but this is a lame excuse…if you're playing in a real tournment and touch a piece, you must move it, you can't say, b-b-but I meant to move the other piece

Indeed, but it happens a lot to me to move the correct piece to incorrect place due to drag and drop problems. for instance, e3 when I want e4.