2020 West Orange Chess Club Championship

WestOrangeChessClub
Dates (5 round Swiss System tournament):

Round 1 - March 10

Round 2 - March 17

Round 3 - March 24

Round 4 - March 31

Round 5 (final round) - April 14

Note there is no round on April 7, as that night the club will be hosting the Garden State Chess League.

All rounds are set to start at 8:00 PM.

Entry Fee: $25.00 (yearly West Orange Chess Club (WOCC) membership also required:  $10.00 ages 18-65 and non West Orange resident, $5.00 over 65 or under 18, $5.00 West Orange resident).  Those who have already paid club membership dues for 2020 only have to pay the entry fee.  Advance entries accepted by emailing Chief Tournament Director (TD) John Hagerty at buickchess@gmail.com or by calling him at 973-736-3433 between the hours of 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM.  On site registration:  7:00 PM - 7:45 PM on Tuesday March 10 (as well as the following Tuesday for late entries).  For anyone entering at the start of Round 2 (March 17), in order to be paired for Round 2 entry must be made via email or phone call to Chief TD Hagerty no later than 4:30 PM on Tuesday March 17.  One can enter as late as the start of Round 3 (March 24) but Round 3 entry must be made via email or phone call to Chief TD Hagerty no later than 4:30 PM on Tuesday March 24.  Official pairings for Rounds 2 through 5 to be made at 4:30 PM on the night of the round.  United States Chess Federation (USCF) membership must be paid up through to the last day of the tournament.

Time Control: Game 100 minutes with 5 second delay before every move.  If no digital clock is available then the time control is Game 100 minutes (no extra time is permitted per USCF rules).  There is no increment time control for this tournament.

Two 1/2 point byes allowed in any round but we must be informed of any bye requests before the round is paired.  For any late entrant, one of their available 1/2 point byes must be used for each missed round.  Zero point byes will be given out if one's two 1/2 point byes have already been taken.  A forfeit loss may be issued to a participant if they cannot make it and the round has already been paired but the tournament committee will do its best to make "off site" playing arrangements that would have to be agreeable to both parties.  

If one can't make it to the club for a round and would like to receive one of their two allotted 1/2 point byes rather than be paired and receive a forfeit loss please either let Chief TD Hagerty know at the club ahead of time, email him at buickchess@gmail.com or give him a call at 973-736-3433 between the hours of 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM.  He must be informed by 4:30 PM on the night of the round in order not to be paired. 

And even if one has already used their two allotted 1/2 point byes but can't make it to the club for a round please let Chief TD Hagerty know at the club ahead of time, email him at buickchess@gmail.com or give him a call at 973-736-3433 between the hours of 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM.  He must be informed by 4:30 PM on the night of the round in order not to be paired.  This will avoid having you be paired, which would cause you to lose by forfeit and your opponent to not have a game as well as having them come to the club for nothing.  In this case one will receive a zero point bye without the penalty of being withdrawn from the tournament.  We appreciate everyone's cooperation.  Thank you.

Prizes: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and various Best Under based on rating distribution.  Money values of prizes also based on total number of players.  Prizes will be awarded based on USCF guidelines.  Tiebreakers will not be used in the awarding of prize money.  In the event of two or more players being tied for 1st place after the final round, a playoff (method and dates to be determined at the end of the tournament based on the number of participants in the playoff) will be used to determine the Club Champion.

The Tournament Committee, as allowed by USCF affiliate rules, reserves the right to make changes and modifications to the above specifications for the proper governance of the tournament.

For any further questions please email Chief TD Hagerty at buickchess@gmail.com or call him at 973-736-3433 between the hours of 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM.  Please leave a message if there is no answer.

Chief TD - John Hagerty
Assistant TD - Doran Race
Assistant TD - Steve Moctezuma 

Sincerely, John M. Hagerty
                                                            WOCC President

Any updates or changes to this information will be posted as additional comments in this forum.
WestOrangeChessClub

Once granted, bye requests are reversible only by discretion of the Tournament Committee based on particular circumstances.

WestOrangeChessClub

Tournament Committee:

Chief TD:  John Hagerty

Assistant TD:  Doran Race

Assistant TD:  Steve Moctezuma 

WestOrangeChessClub

Due to the coronavirus outbreak the 2020 West Orange Chess Club Championship has been suspended.  Also the club is temporarily closed.  

When it is safe to do so the club will reopen and the club championship will resume.  

For any further questions please contact Chief Tournament Director and Club President John Hagerty via email at buickchess@gmail.com or call him at 973-736-3433 between the hours of 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM and leave him a message if necessary.

WestOrangeChessClub
DENVERHIGH wrote:

I know.  Bummer isn't it?

WestOrangeChessClub

Long time West Orange Chess Club member Charlie Hart recently passed away and this tournament will be dedicated in his honor.

Chessflyfisher

I am the president of the WOCC and I knew Charlie Hart from years ago when he was a regular at the old Montclair, NJ CC. Such a good guy. He even helped now and then run tournaments as an assistant TD. He will be sorely missed.

Chessflyfisher
DENVERHIGH wrote:

Its great that we can play chess on line . . .

I bowl in a league and they closed the lanes until April 1st . . .

Oh no . That's April fools day! . . . Bobby Fischer used to bowl . . .

I`m into freshwater fishing (my other passion!) and I`m afraid that we might be barred from going into parks that have lakes and ponds.

WestOrangeChessClub

Update from West Orange Chess Club Championship Chief TD John Hagerty:

As regards the interrupted WOCCC, we will resume the continuation of the Championship ASAP.  Those who wish to drop out and get a refund of their $25.00 entry fee, please contact me by email at buickchess@gmail.com with your address.  In any event, all games played will be rated when the eventual rating report is sent in to the USCF offices.  I hope that we can get back to the Katz Center in two or three months and I strongly suggest that our website (westorangechess.webs.com) be checked out at least every two weeks (ideally on Wednesdays onward throughout the week).  Once I get the "green light" to use our meeting place again, I will have a two week lead time to reset the continuation of the WOCCC.

WestOrangeChessClub

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic this event has been canceled.