Forums

3700+ Tactics Trainer?

Sort:
carmenmiranda

I am a puzzle enthusiast. As a free member I have done 70 tactics trainers and missed two, giving me a 1954 rating so far. On my page there is a "leaderboard" with people rated in the high 3000's after something like 900 problems in 5 hours. Does this mean they are just very good at problems and not chess in general, because they ought to be killer blitz players yet they are not. I don't think they could be using engines because of the speed of their solutions. Is the rating system just skewed?

nimzomalaysian

There are other ways of cheating in TT.

nimzomalaysian

A complete description of how you can cheat in TT is given here - 

http://chess.emrald.net/ctsCheating.php

carmenmiranda

Wow. You would think such computer literacy would make capable

a high rating without circumvention.

nimzomalaysian

So, according to you, those 4000+ rated guys got that rating by legitimately solving problems?

carmenmiranda

No. I believe you. I was suggesting if they are talented technically to the point where they can pre-parse solutions they could be decent at chess without needing to get around controls. On the other hand it would be interesting to see if Stockfish were to try TT directly if it would be 6000 or something. So far I haven't found the problems too difficult, but my progress is slowing and I am only a free member.